• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 1:51 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
988 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto

Damaged windshield

My car windshield was damaged and I'm hoping to get an idea of the cost to address the windshield. Will it need to be replaced or can it be fixed?

This is a leased 2017 Audi A4. It has those markings near the top centre of the windshield to block out sun. Do I need to inform Audi? Does it need to be brought to Audi? Is Chipmaster Markham a good place to bring my car to?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Last edited by redwings_patriots on Jul 9th, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Anything special about these windshield? Weather stripes? Sensors? No need to inform your dealership just go get quotes from any windshield repair shop ie speedyglass

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
988 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Anything special about these windshield? Weather stripes? Sensors? No need to inform your dealership just go get quotes from any windshield repair shop ie speedyglass
It has those markings near the top centre of the windshield to block out sun
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11527 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
If nothing special attached, my estimate would be 250 for aftermarket or 400-500 for OEM.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18617 posts
6030 upvotes
London
Leased car - don't use cheap glass. Ask the shop to use OEM grade glass, otherwise the leasing company can bill you extra ( to remove your glass and install their OEM glass + a extra handing charge on top)
Try one of the glass guys on RFD like @mer1ion
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
OP does your car have HUD? If so then you def can't use random knockoffs as that would mess with the projection. Either way for a leased car it should be done with OEM parts, the process will also involve re calibration of various sensors in the rear view mirror module.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5072 posts
3251 upvotes
Do you heave lease end protection and when are you returning the lease? Have you checked your insurance if it covers?

Highly recommend taking it to a good shop and OEM parts only. I had to replace on my leased GTI and because the rear view mirror mount had sensors and stuff, I took it to the dealer to get it done. After insurance deductible of $300 the bill was covered, $1200. You don't want it messed up and when you return the lease, the dealer can ding you for it if the sensors don't work and trip the CEL.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7837 posts
4637 upvotes
West GTEH!
redwings_patriots wrote: My car windshield was damaged and I'm hoping to get an idea of the cost to address the windshield. Will it need to be replaced or can it be fixed?

This is a leased 2017 Audi A4. It has those markings near the top centre of the windshield to block out sun. Do I need to inform Audi? Does it need to be brought to Audi? Is Chipmaster Markham a good place to bring my car to?

Definitely need to replace windshield.
If you were in West GTA, I'd recommend Auto Glass Worx . Talk to Ken. He would be able to tell you how much to replace it.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
That will need to be replaced. My Audi with the tech package and HUD got the windshield replaced through insurance. The invoice was for 1390$

It doesn't look like you have the HUD so it should be cheaper.
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
redwings_patriots wrote: My car windshield was damaged and I'm hoping to get an idea of the cost to address the windshield. Will it need to be replaced or can it be fixed?

Take a pic of the mirror area from the outside. I should be able to tell what options you have on the glass
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton

As an FYI (for next time)... You can "fix" it if you get it to a chip repair place BEFORE the crack spreads. Like, when you just have the initial *. Once it cracks, the only option is a new windshield.

C
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: If nothing special attached, my estimate would be 250 for aftermarket or 400-500 for OEM.
400-500$ for OEM glass for a 2017 A4? Face With Tears Of Joy

Your "estimate" is far off.

Nowsday, OEM Glass is over $1000, just like what other posters mentioned.

OP, your car is a lease , you will have to get OEM glasses back to the car, just call your insurance and make a windshield claim, pay your comprehensive deductible. your insurance company will send you to their preferred and approved shop and they will pay the rest after your deductible.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
OP @MP3_SKY is right ... i had to get my B9 S4 windshield replaced. A glass shop quoted me non OEM glass that won't work with HUD at 550 + tax. An OEM one that would is 1250 + tax. There's also some gel that needs to be reapplied for the driver assist systems.

Dealership handled acutal payment with insurance, I just paid my deductible, they gave me a loaner car and rest is history. Don't recall my premium went up next year either (though maybe masked by the fact that I had a few tickets coming off records lol)
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Goose12345 wrote: OP @MP3_SKY is right ... i had to get my B9 S4 windshield replaced. A glass shop quoted me non OEM glass that won't work with HUD at 550 + tax. An OEM one that would is 1250 + tax. There's also some gel that needs to be reapplied for the driver assist systems.

Dealership handled acutal payment with insurance, I just paid my deductible, they gave me a loaner car and rest is history. Don't recall my premium went up next year either (though maybe masked by the fact that I had a few tickets coming off records lol)
FYI, all windshields will work with HUD. The difference is the clarity of the display. A windshield made for HUD has a coating on the laminate in the HUD area of the windshield. On a non HUD glass, the display will be visible but slightly blurry.

In the glass industry, we consider OEM to be any glass manufacturers that supplies car manufacturers glass. For OE, it must have the car manufacturer logo.

The gel pad is for the rain sensor
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1134 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto
mer1ion wrote: FYI, all windshields will work with HUD. The difference is the clarity of the display. A windshield made for HUD has a coating on the laminate in the HUD area of the windshield. On a non HUD glass, the display will be visible but slightly blurry.

In the glass industry, we consider OEM to be any glass manufacturers that supplies car manufacturers glass. For OE, it must have the car manufacturer logo.

The gel pad is for the rain sensor
clearly misinformed there thx for info! Tho OP since you are also on a lease, do what audi fs wants which would be oem and hope your insurance deductible isn't too high :)
[OP]
Sep 13, 2008
988 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up contacting my Audi sales rep and also posted in the Audi thread, where an Audi sales rep regularly contributes. Both sources told me an aftermarket windshield will do. Just posting this information as an FYI for any future readers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)