Computers & Electronics

damn computer virus or something else making my keys CRAZY?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 5:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal

damn computer virus or something else making my keys CRAZY?

I thought it was 'sticky keys' and sometimes my doing ctrl+shift works to dislodge it from inputting weird letters when I'm pressing say <'> and it turns out to be <è>. When it's NOT that, it goes nuts, like I'm scrolling on my laptop's touchpad, but instead of the screen going up and down, it affects the zoom. If I press the <+> in Chrome to open a new tab, it asks if I want to open 78 tabs...what? I try to click on YT's search bar and it goes to the Chrome top bar instead? Etc...

Or is this just some annoying glitch that can only be resolved by rebooting the computer every once in a while (I only put it in 'sleep' unless forced to shutdown).
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
Have you spilled anything on your laptop lately?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
No, it's totally clean.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1956 posts
1395 upvotes
Vancouver
Try the BIOS, live cd or the Windows installer disk. Do those work fine? If yes, then it is a software issue and can be fixed by formatting your computer
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
kramer1 wrote: Try the BIOS, live cd or the Windows installer disk. Do those work fine? If yes, then it is a software issue and can be fixed by formatting your computer
Whoa, is that the only solution? Seems heavy duty/overboard.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1956 posts
1395 upvotes
Vancouver
Might as well. It's easier than spending days figuring this out. Takes like 1day at max, including backups and restoring all data.

Also not like you can screw anything up, that you can't fix by formatting, again :P
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
kramer1 wrote: Might as well. It's easier than spending days figuring this out. Takes like 1day at max, including backups and restoring all data.

Also not like you can screw anything up, that you can't fix by formatting, again :P
There's no AV or other prg that can surgically solve this...? I don't even know if I have enough backup drive space. It's an annoying prb, for sure, but it's luckily rare, so I don't wanna use a sledgehammer to a prb that only requires a small mini hammer.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1956 posts
1395 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh wait, you put your PC to sleep. There that's your issue. Windows is windows dude, it needs to be shutdown. It all comes from all the cruft they need for compatibility. And so bugs exist from the old codebases.

Get a Unix based device, like a Mac, but even those need reboots, every few months. For a PC, i have heard great things about Pop_Os
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
kramer1 wrote: Oh wait, you put your PC to sleep. There that's your issue. Windows is windows dude, it needs to be shutdown. It all comes from all the cruft they need for compatibility. And so bugs exist from the old codebases.

Get a Unix based device, like a Mac, but even those need reboots, every few months. For a PC, i have heard great things about Pop_Os
Ok, tx, I guess I have to do this std 'solution', can't avoid haha.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7294 posts
3870 upvotes
Debtario
Sounds like your keyboard layout is set to French Canadian. Go into language options and set it to us english.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14141 posts
3346 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
To add to what the dude wrote above, delete the French layout, assuming you don't use it. Remove any hotkey combinations for fast changing between input languages.

I think if you choose Canada as your region, by default, Windows adds US and French layouts.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
I dunno about the French keyboard cuz the touchpad shouldn't operate like that for example, in addition to other oddities.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9725 posts
4036 upvotes
Vaughan
Do you have spare kb? Connect if the keys are still crazy, if they are, you have malware.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7294 posts
3870 upvotes
Debtario
Try a spare keyboard and mouse first - if it happens with those, it's a software issue.

Boot into safe mode or use a linux liverun distro. if it still happens, it's a hardware problem.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28883 posts
14418 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Get a Unix based device, like a Mac, but even those need reboots, every few months. For a PC, i have heard great things about Pop_Os
Not a Mac, but I can get years of uptime out of Ubuntu, even with updates. Only a select few updates need reboots.
M1K3Z0R wrote: Try a spare keyboard and mouse first - if it happens with those, it's a software issue.

Boot into safe mode or use a linux liverun distro. if it still happens, it's a hardware problem.
This is what I'd do.
If a live linux does this too, it's hardware.
If it doesn't, it's Windows.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.