Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12629 posts
16144 upvotes
Toronto

Danforth Village-East York

I know I just made a thread for the beaches but I am really curious about this area as it seems more affordable, especially if it's a house with a basement apartment like this E4822932.

Anyone lived in this area? Is it very neighborhood specific. I drove through the other day and it seems the closer you are to Danforth the sketchier it is, whereas further north was all very nice and well maintained homes. I spoke to some people on the porches and it seemed to be a lot of old timers hanging around the area.
4 replies
Apr 6, 2020
109 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
My fire station is in the area. It doesn't seem to be a "closer to Danforth" thing, it's definitely a closer to subsidized housing thing, but even pockets around there can be really nice. Definitely a lot cheaper than the Beaches though overall. Just depends what you're looking for in terms of semi v detached, price range, and quick access to the subway or other TTC options
GTA Real Estate Agent
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1491 posts
1544 upvotes
Toronto
I know someone that still lives in the area, back then I parked at their house and walked 10mins to the taste of Danforth

I like the area, particularly the area around the McDonald’s at pape and cosburn, very convenient location close to subway and highway and has good amenities. Close enough to downtown as well.

Lots of young families moving in too apparently but still a good amount of older gen that make the area peaceful

Some houses went through major Reno’s cause of the majority of bungalows built, decent amount of detach and semis within the side streets

Much more affordable than beaches or north York

I think it’s a hidden gem as the prices are not too crazy there and just a slight premium to Scarborough
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50024 posts
14072 upvotes
ONTARIO
sircheersa wrote: I know I just made a thread for the beaches but I am really curious about this area as it seems more affordable, especially if it's a house with a basement apartment like this E4822932.

Anyone lived in this area? Is it very neighborhood specific. I drove through the other day and it seems the closer you are to Danforth the sketchier it is, whereas further north was all very nice and well maintained homes. I spoke to some people on the porches and it seemed to be a lot of old timers hanging around the area.
The thing with these areas is... its so dense and compact.
The riff raff easily wander and traverse into parts where the richer areas are.

Example... beaches is a house with multi million dollar homes. Yet theres large corp managed apartments and subsidized housing scattered throughout kingston rd ... and theres actually subsidized co-ops and units right in the heart of the beaches.

The bad and good intermingle very easily.

So its hard to say “hey this is a good area”. It is a good area. A fabulous area with tons of rich people and houses.

Example... hubbard blvd and balsalm ave in the beaches got 2 huge subsidized housing units. So you’ll have some people from lower socio economic backgrounds including some of the possible problems stemming from it.
But at the same time theres a house literally next door. No i mean literally you can touch it from the balcony of the subsidized housing and its worth $10 million bc it faces directly onto the beach!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3249 posts
6218 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Grew up in the area, went to the high school next to the listing.

It has changed a lot, that particular pocket is pretty clean. East towards Lumsden used to be notorious for gangs and riff raff, but even those buildings have significantly cleaned up since the late 90's early '00s.

Around the hospital in general it's pretty good, even when I went to Earl Beatty many moons ago things are night and day, totally gentrified.
RE Broker