Expired Hot Deals

[Danforth and Westlake] Toronto - April 10/12. Booze at bar's cost. Danforth and Westlake bar

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 8:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2002
21937 posts
25324 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto - April 10/12. Booze at bar's cost. Danforth and Westlake bar

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Danforth and Westlake
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2005
2412 posts
513 upvotes
As for social distancing, I have to downvote on this one. It’s a good deal, but STAY HOME!
King of the farm
Newbie
Apr 7, 2014
71 posts
28 upvotes
ON
Correct me if I’m wrong on this, but don’t bars pay more for alcohol than what it is sold for at the Beer Store and LCBO?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2006
2538 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
juniorspank wrote: Correct me if I’m wrong on this, but don’t bars pay more for alcohol than what it is sold for at the Beer Store and LCBO?
That's pretty much the case and one of my biggest peeves with Ontario liquor laws. How do they expect a business to survive - even during "normal" times - when the bar has to pay retail or higher for the products they're trying to sell? . If you click on OP's link the bar shows their cost list - $50 for a 24 of Blue vs $38 at the beer store.
Last edited by toronto_slim on Apr 10th, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Apr 7, 2014
71 posts
28 upvotes
ON
toronto_slim wrote: That's pretty much the case and one of my biggest peeves with Ontario liquor laws. How do they expect a business to survive - even during "normal" times - when the bar has to pay retail for the products they're trying to sell? . If you click on OP's link the bar shows their cost list - $50 for a 24 of Blue.
I thought so. Ontario really needs to fix their alcohol situation, I was hopeful Ford was going to fix that.
Newbie
Apr 12, 2015
62 posts
36 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Don't they survive off the 300% margins on alcohol?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2006
2538 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
Lowballer wrote: Don't they survive off the 300% margins on alcohol?
Yeah if you're Jack Astors or whatever the new SirCorp-chain label is. But an independent neighbourhood bar? Not any more. Even at a 300% markup (selling a bottle of Blue for $8 which doesn't happen in the bars I frequent) they won't do the volume to stay in business. The reality is that between today's awareness of the stupidity of drinking & driving and the fact that we're all getting older we're not calling for a tray of draft the way we used to. And tastes have changed (which is a good thing) so as well as carrying Molson, Labatt & Coors Light you need to accommodate craft beer drinkers, import drinkers and so on until your beer list looks like a wine list. So your inventory costs are higher. No, as much as every single government says they want to help small business I don't see any independent bar owners getting rich in this province. OK, rant over.
Jr. Member
Nov 12, 2019
191 posts
486 upvotes
Lowballer wrote: Don't they survive off the 300% margins on alcohol?
Alcohol markup is higher to compensate for generally lower food markup
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9548 posts
4747 upvotes
Markham
Rooster wrote: As for social distancing, I have to downvote on this one. It’s a good deal, but STAY HOME!
Social distancing doesn't mean life sentence in prison

People still go to Costco, this deal is same

You probably would say people go to Costco for essential stuff, but not all purchase in Costco is for survival

Help small business is good and a few beers can keep some folks stay at home and sane

But vodka probably should be banned lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2005
2412 posts
513 upvotes
smartie wrote: Social distancing doesn't mean life sentence in prison

People still go to Costco, this deal is same

You probably would say people go to Costco for essential stuff, but not all purchase in Costco is for survival

Help small business is good and a few beers can keep some folks stay at home and sane

But vodka probably should be banned lol
They call it social distancing for good reason. The key is to prevent the virus from spreading even further out of control. A beer at home is good. But going for a deal in the crowd just for a beer is a different story.

I agreed that not all purchased from Costco is essential. Your key word is Not all.

I’m not going to argue. Do you think a deal on a beer is worth the risk for your friends and family? Make your choice wisely.
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1438 posts
1035 upvotes
Montreal
Curb side pickup, what's the problem here ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 12, 2005
1053 posts
439 upvotes
Rooster wrote: They call it social distancing for good reason. The key is to prevent the virus from spreading even further out of control. A beer at home is good. But going for a deal in the crowd just for a beer is a different story.

I agreed that not all purchased from Costco is essential. Your key word is Not all.

I’m not going to argue. Do you think a deal on a beer is worth the risk for your friends and family? Make your choice wisely.
All bars and restaurants in Toronto are takeout only right now. There are no crowds. This is the same as ordering some food from a restaurant and going to pick it up

Top