• May 20th, 2021 7:30 pm
19 replies
Jul 2, 2007
588 posts
164 upvotes
Canada
Skip this garbage
- buy a proper painter's 5 in one tool
- use a piece of duct or masking tape instead of caps (if you fold over the tape leaving a tab you can also use to hang it on a nail or a hook)
- use a wet finger (or gloved finger) to smooth out caulking
Dec 3, 2015
83 posts
66 upvotes
SK
Tried this pack and actually makes it a lot easy to get clean consistent caulking, without it running up the wall. Now when I see finger wiped caulking with it running up the wall and all over the place it looks sloppy.

Now that I’ve used this kit I won’t do it any other way.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2990 posts
4945 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I like how they call this Pro caulking...when pros would never use this. They use their finger.

Most times when u see caulk everywhere or a really thick bead is because you're using way too much caulk. A little goes a long way .
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4806 posts
2806 upvotes
Adster wrote: Now when I see finger wiped caulking with it running up the wall and all over the place it looks sloppy.
Just means you laid too thick of a bead down in the first place.

No need for caps - just put a nail inside the tip and wrap with painter tape.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6997 posts
3241 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hvc wrote: Just means you laid too thick of a bead down in the first place.

No need for caps - just put a nail inside the tip and wrap with painter tape.
Nail or screw work well.

I've also used marrettes with success.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
May 17, 2007
646 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
I have this. It really makes it a clean finish wether you have a small or big beads. I do agree caps are useless.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4046 posts
318 upvotes
It's ok for $10. I now use some painters tape besides the caulk line to get a nice straight edge and just use a wet finger.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
May 17, 2007
646 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
ephemera wrote: It's ok for $10. I now use some painters tape besides the caulk line to get a nice straight edge and just use a wet finger.
I used to do that too. I know painters tape is not costly and didn’t want to waste any resource. This lil kit was impressive for what’s it worth.
Dec 23, 2007
246 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. I tried caulking with only my fingers and it turned out horrendous. I'm not handy at all. Gonna try this kit.
Dec 19, 2006
357 posts
134 upvotes
georvu wrote: Nail or screw work well.

I've also used marrettes with success.
I've been using this method with plastic wrap and a rubber band and it's worked better (in my limited experience) than a nail and tape:
Dec 28, 2007
521 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
For me it was worth the $10.00. I used this for caulking and it made my life so easy, it was my first time. I would literally do the worst application ever (I have bad coordination skills), and this tool would fix it all up.
Nov 19, 2016
570 posts
340 upvotes
When using this tool do you still spray the bead or caulk with soapy water then use the scrapper tool?

Or no spray?
Jun 3, 2004
857 posts
616 upvotes
stovetop wrote: I like how they call this Pro caulking...when pros would never use this. They use their finger.

Most times when u see caulk everywhere or a really thick bead is because you're using way too much caulk. A little goes a long way .
Lol except pros do what's quick and cheap or what they've always done / what they were taught to do and not necessarily what's best.

A proper 45 degree caulk joint will hold up to cleaning a lot better than your usual finger-jobs.

For those who don't mind paying for quality...try the german made Cramer caulk profiling kits.
Mar 2, 2009
525 posts
264 upvotes
Wow, people seem to have strong opinions on how to caulk!

I used this kit to put 100% silicon caulk around replaced kitchen countertop. It would've been impossible to do properly with wet finger.
Aug 8, 2010
280 posts
183 upvotes
Quebec
I just caulk, use a wet finger Then wipe over with a damp ceramic sponge to really smooth things out. A professionnal painter recently told me he can’t match my work.
Jun 12, 2018
336 posts
259 upvotes
Ontario
MisterTeee wrote: When using this tool do you still spray the bead or caulk with soapy water then use the scrapper tool?

Or no spray?
No soap. You want the silicone to stick properly to the surfaces and soap prevents that.

I'm a fan of these tools. Using your finger leads to thin edges which peel and allow water. These tools have different edges for varying widths and lead to a thick and tough bead.

Good video about caulking in general and about how awesome these tools are:
Nov 19, 2016
570 posts
340 upvotes
stevo88 wrote: No soap. You want the silicone to stick properly to the surfaces and soap prevents that.

I'm a fan of these tools. Using your finger leads to thin edges which peel and allow water. These tools have different edges for varying widths and lead to a thick and tough bead.

Good video about caulking in general and about how awesome these tools are:
Thanks for sharing. This is why RFD is so amazing.. learn so much from those who have experience.

Going to buy the OPs kit now
May 17, 2007
646 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
I had to clean up the work of my contractor. No way you can properly caulk in a tight area with your finger. It was pathetic. if he invested $10 it would have been a near-perfect job for all my base boards.
Sep 24, 2020
5 posts
4 upvotes
Really good tool. I use the version from amazon. Same price but 5 or 6 forming tools instead of 3. My trick is to keep dipping the tool in soapy water inbetween each pass. Makes cleaning your fingers and the tool easier.