• Jun 27th, 2020 5:59 pm
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
772 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto

Dark Souls III - any guidance?

Hello,

I played Dark Souls on PS3 almost 9 years ago. It took forever but i finished the game, I had to cheat slightly towards 75% of the game as the difficulty was too high for me. Has anyone played Dark Souls II or III and can attest to either being a little more balanced? I get that you can now summon help and be invaded as well, but the original dark souls server on PS3 is dead. I don't mind buying Dark Souls III but before I do that, I was wondering if you guys can tell me if its just as difficult,more difficult? Thanks very much in advance.

R66
23 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19050 posts
2017 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
No game is balanced. Have you played any racing games in the last decade with impossible AI seemingly slingshot past you at the most inopportune times? How about fighting games? For Honor is such a stupid game. The parry system is so random. The most faithful game to its real life counterpart so far has been gran theft auto. The AI is just so uncannily authentic at times, it’s scary man!
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
772 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I am trying to determine whether it is somewhat easier than the original. I found starting up in Dark Souls One nearly impossible, had to grind it out for days before the game started for me. Game is on sale so please let me know your thoughts if you have had experience with II or III.

Thanks,
R66
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
Dark Souls 2 is the worst in the series because it was not
made by the main team. All of them are still pretty good. If you are having problems beating a level or boss you can summon other players online to help you.

Most of the game is common sense. Rather than trading hits, learn when to block, parry, dodge, roll and wait for opportune openings to attack.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jun 24th, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2328 posts
357 upvotes
Dark Souls 1's game balance was perfectly fine. The only real difference between it and III in terms of difficulty is that there's less jank and generally more precise hit detection in III.
Aug 20, 2009
7987 posts
2905 upvotes
Grimsby
On a first playthru take Vigor and Endurance to 25 minimum before doing any other stat allocations unless you really need them for a specific weapon (Claymore for example). Gundyr is a pretty difficult first boss compared to previous games so don't underestimate him. Beyond that it's a Souls game. There are some annoying transforming enemies that are markedly more difficult than others in some of the levels but you will learn how to deal with them. Like Ascott said it is no harder than any other game in the series and arguably easier if you factor in some of the QOL things in it.

Some of the starting classes are very powerful and have great equipment. Mercenary, Warrior and Knight are all excellent. Some of the starting weapons are the most versatile and powerful.

It's fun but hard, just like the first one. You will earn all of your progress :)
Mar 6, 2014
696 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
I avoided that series based on the reviews I read and the EB Games clerk who told me to avoid it.

Nowadays I only have time for better games out there like Last of Us 2. As I'm now in my 30's, I don't have a lot of time for games anymore.
Last edited by Statistics101 on Sep 1st, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7989 posts
4617 upvotes
Toronto
Statistics101 wrote: As I'm now in my 30's, I don't have a lot of time for games anymore.
this always amuses me when people say this because I've had way more time, money and freedom to spend on games and my other hobbies in my 30s compared to my 20s when I was overwhelmed with 60-80 hours weeks of juggling full time classes and a crap jobs that paid next to nothing
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
772 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: On a first playthru take Vigor and Endurance to 25 minimum before doing any other stat allocations unless you really need them for a specific weapon (Claymore for example). Gundyr is a pretty difficult first boss compared to previous games so don't underestimate him. Beyond that it's a Souls game. There are some annoying transforming enemies that are markedly more difficult than others in some of the levels but you will learn how to deal with them. Like Ascott said it is no harder than any other game in the series and arguably easier if you factor in some of the QOL things in it.

Some of the starting classes are very powerful and have great equipment. Mercenary, Warrior and Knight are all excellent. Some of the starting weapons are the most versatile and powerful.

It's fun but hard, just like the first one. You will earn all of your progress :)
When I tried Dark Souls one after 7 years of not playing it, I couldn't even get to the first boss. This time around I picked a Warrior and I had to get super close to get any damage done unlike shooting some white bolt or whatever with my first play around 7 years ago. The ranged attack, allowed me to run and hide and somehow kill the red eye knight and so on. That being said, for $16.99 Dark Souls III may end up in the bin if I have to grind for months.

Are there any cheats for Dark Souls III on GeForce Now?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8695 posts
3057 upvotes
Why would you even want to cheat in these games?
That would be like being a fully grown adult that beats kids at basketball while playing on a Fisher Price basketball net and
feeling good about yourself afterward.

royaltee66 wrote: When I tried Dark Souls one after 7 years of not playing it, I couldn't even get to the first boss. This time around I picked a Warrior and I had to get super close to get any damage done unlike shooting some white bolt or whatever with my first play around 7 years ago. The ranged attack, allowed me to run and hide and somehow kill the red eye knight and so on. That being said, for $16.99 Dark Souls III may end up in the bin if I have to grind for months.

Are there any cheats for Dark Souls III on GeForce Now?
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
772 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Why would you even want to cheat in these games?
That would be like being a fully grown adult that beats kids at basketball playing on a Fisher Price basketball net and
feeling good about yourself afterward.

If the game is not moving, rather than dump it in the bin, I'd like to get as much of the game covered as possible. Nobody starts with cheats but some games are either not balanced, or require grinding which not everybody has time for. So in some games, bring over the fisher price basketball net bro. Best to not use a cheat but there is a reason as to why they are made, not everybody can put in 150 hours. Those that do reap the satisfaction when complete and those that don't still take away something.
Mar 6, 2014
696 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: this always amuses me when people say this because I've had way more time, money and freedom to spend on games and my other hobbies in my 30s compared to my 20s when I was overwhelmed with 60-80 hours weeks of juggling full time classes and a crap jobs that paid next to nothing
It is because once you start working, you generate income that will allow you to do more than play video games. The amount of "play time" is probably the same between a 20 y/o university student and a 40 y/o marketing executive or stock broker, but the latter have more disposable income for things outside of video games. You can rent a boat to go fishing, take your sports car out to the track on track days, hang out with your buddies at the pub, go watch a ball game, travel somewhere for leisure... etc. Things that a college student usually can't afford.