PC & Video Games

Dark Souls III - any guidance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2020 5:59 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2329 posts
358 upvotes
I think it's more likely you just have no idea how the game works or what to do than it is that there's a problem with the balance or difficulty. These games are challenging, sure, but they aren't that difficult. If you're honestly hitting road blocks that severe it's because you're doing something wrong.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
784 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote: I think it's more likely you just have no idea how the game works or what to do than it is that there's a problem with the balance or difficulty. These games are challenging, sure, but they aren't that difficult. If you're honestly hitting road blocks that severe it's because you're doing something wrong.
It could be as innocent as picking a weaker class starting out. Styles make matches, styles may make a huge difference to newbies in Dark Souls. And yes there is a big difficulty challenge and I can say that given I did finish Dark Souls One. It was just about the hardest game I played because getting to a boss could take nearly 1 hr and then a single set of two brushes with the enemy would leave all your souls out of reach. The concept is fantastic but I was wondering if things have changed with II and III
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8697 posts
3058 upvotes
It is possible to beat the first two bosses easily without leveling up (Asylum and Taurus demons), even at level 1.
Dark Souls 1 is the easiest Souls game out of Dark Souls 1-3.

All classes become basically the same one you gain levels and acquire spells.
royaltee66 wrote: It could be as innocent as picking a weaker class starting out. Styles make matches, styles may make a huge difference to newbies in Dark Souls. And yes there is a big difficulty challenge and I can say that given I did finish Dark Souls One. It was just about the hardest game I played because getting to a boss could take nearly 1 hr and then a single set of two brushes with the enemy would leave all your souls out of reach. The concept is fantastic but I was wondering if things have changed with II and III
[OP]
Jan 30, 2007
784 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: It is possible to beat the first two bosses easily without leveling up (Asylum and Taurus demons), even at level 1.
Dark Souls 1 is the easiest Souls game out of Dark Souls 1-3.

All classes become basically the same one you gain levels and acquire spells.
You sure about that or is that just your feeling? DS1 was hard enough, if they make it even more difficult, it would turn off a lot of people. So a warrior would have the same range as a Mage?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8697 posts
3058 upvotes
Classes only differ by starting equipment and starting stat levels. Range is determined by the weapon or spell itself, not the character class.

Every class can learn all magic, miracles, pyromancies, and spells therefore classes do not matter except for the very beginning of the game.

royaltee66 wrote: You sure about that or is that just your feeling? DS1 was hard enough, if they make it even more difficult, it would turn off a lot of people. So a warrior would have the same range as a Mage?
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jun 25th, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2329 posts
358 upvotes
Choosing Thief kinda' matters outside the start of the game because you get a free master key.

Otherwise yeah, the player is in total control of stat progression so any starting class can become whatever you want.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17522 posts
625 upvotes
Just give it some time. Summoning is totally fine and really helps!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8697 posts
3058 upvotes
Dark Souls 2 and 3 are harder than the first game:

royaltee66 wrote: DS1 was hard enough, if they make it even more difficult, it would turn off a lot of people.
You are probably playing it completely wrong if you are having trouble with it.
It is mostly common sense of what you need to do to survive that will get you through the game with ease.
Don't trade hits, use your shield to block incoming attacks, or failing to use a shield sidestep or roll out of the way.
Attack when you have an opening or go in for a strike when your attacks are quicker than what the enemy is using.

I beat the opening level and the first two bosses in Dark Souls 1 on Level 1 (without upgrading) and without dying on Dark Souls Remastered (PS4):

Jump to 19:22 for the Taurus Demon boss fight. If you don't have any spells you can also use throwing items like black firebombs.
I have the Platinum trophies for the PS3 versions of Dark Souls 1 & 2.

Below is the first boss in Dark Souls III on PS4 by comparison: beat it using the weakest starting class without upgrades.
In Dark Souls III you cannot level up your character until after you beat the first boss below.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 12th, 2020 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2329 posts
358 upvotes
Gundyr is a great time. Watching people new to Souls encounter him for the first time is always entertaining. There's a mod that swaps Champion Gundyr in his place if you're feeling really crazy.