Automotive

DASH CAM: Blackvue DR500GW-HD|*HACKED*|Wifi for Live view/Downloading videos to phone

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2014 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2006
916 posts
37 upvotes
I recently installed a DR500GW with Power Magic Pro. I thought the purpose of using a PMP is to allow the camera to continue recording even when ignition is off, but the camera just shuts down whenever I switched off ignition. Is it because the installation was done incorrectly? The PMP kit is connected to the fuse box. I tried to flip the switch both on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
I'm not sure if you have the wiring correct or not. Basically you gotta have constant power to the Magic Pro and also power through your accessory. So when you've got the ignition on, It'll be running off Acc. Power and when the ignition is off. Loosing power from Acc. wire will trigger the Magic Pro to use consatant power from the battery and this signal will also put the dashcam into Parking mode.

I don't use the parking mode on mine, I just turn it off when I turn my car off.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
the pmp unit isn't to provide power, it's to stop the camera from killing your battery because it's hooked up to a constant feed.

you've hooked it up wrong, you need to find a fuse that's constantly on.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Dec 26, 2006
916 posts
37 upvotes
xpoint9 wrote: I'm not sure if you have the wiring correct or not. Basically you gotta have constant power to the Magic Pro and also power through your accessory. So when you've got the ignition on, It'll be running off Acc. Power and when the ignition is off. Loosing power from Acc. wire will trigger the Magic Pro to use consatant power from the battery and this signal will also put the dashcam into Parking mode.

I don't use the parking mode on mine, I just turn it off when I turn my car off.
BeaverLiquor wrote: the pmp unit isn't to provide power, it's to stop the camera from killing your battery because it's hooked up to a constant feed.

you've hooked it up wrong, you need to find a fuse that's constantly on.
thanks to both of your inputs. The installation was done at lockdown, I will get in touch with Jeff and see if he can fix it!
Oct 26, 2012
4 posts
CHARLESBOURG
Does anyone here that uses the Blackvue DR500GW utilise it on a suction cup mount? I need to use mine in several different vehicles and the double sided tape isn't really the best option. Is there a generic mount out there at all that could be used? i.e place some double sided tape on the mount and just stick the Blackvue to the underside?
Thanks
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Slattery wrote: Does anyone here that uses the Blackvue DR500GW utilise it on a suction cup mount? I need to use mine in several different vehicles and the double sided tape isn't really the best option. Is there a generic mount out there at all that could be used? i.e place some double sided tape on the mount and just stick the Blackvue to the underside?
Thanks
It sounds like you are in a similar situation to me with my Lukas LK7900. It does not have a suction cup mount.

It has been suggested to me that I use a 3M product that is like Velcro, but much stronger. It goes by names like Dual Lock, VHB or All Weather Fasteners.

The LK7900 comes with a piece that adheres to the windshield, then the LK7900 attaches to the windshield piece. I will be using the 3M product directly on the windshield and on the piece that is supposed to adhere to the windshield. Then I will be able to move the LK7900 pieces between vehicles as each vehicle will have a 3M strip.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
I'd like more recent user comments on this one... people still buy this nowadays?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Mar 2, 2014
930 posts
559 upvotes
Ontario
Thinking of getting this, How did it hold up in Winter?
Is it still one of the best options for about $200?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)