Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

[OP]
Penalty Box
User avatar
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
160 upvotes
KW

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Scary:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/vid ... le1879302/

Read that the young man driving had installed the system as he had been a victim of a biased and inept legal system in a previous accident. Thinking of doing the same and looking for easy to install recommendations that are not a lot of headache to maintain.
5273 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13096 posts
1912 upvotes
Toronto
There is a member here that sells these units.. Its a neat system that mounts to your windshield. I will also be picking one up from him sometime after the winter.

PM: jon04CTS
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
trixstar wrote: There is a member here that sells these units.. Its a neat system that mounts to your windshield. I will also be picking one up from him sometime after the winter.

PM: jon04CTS

I have seen his videos and his setup is simply amazing. Does he actually sell them?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
19995 posts
5376 upvotes
Good Morning
There are quite a few in dash cameras on sale on ebay. The most basic one, which does 1280x960 @30fps has a small angle of vision, about 80 degrees, but has a price tag that varies around $60-$70. There is a higher end model, which does 720p @ 30fps, as well as a 120 degree angle of view, for $110-$120.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
everylittlecent wrote: saw this posted in the OFF topic forum

if anyone is interested in placing a cam in their cars there are 2 small cams
here :
On Sale $19.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=034723
On Sale $24.99
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=035169

how its mounted i guess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCQAqv-a ... r_embedded

I might pick up the second one. I don't understand one thing. On Canada Computer's websites, it says the first one records 720 x 480 @30fps and the second one records 640 x 480 @30fps even though the first one is less expensive? :confused: The second one is also called "HD" :confused: Can someone clarify that for me please?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 21, 2009
859 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
tapanpatel88 wrote: I might pick up the second one. I don't understand one thing. On Canada Computer's websites, it says the first one records 720 x 480 @30fps and the second one records 640 x 480 @30fps even though the first one is less expensive? :confused: The second one is also called "HD" :confused: Can someone clarify that for me please?

Just picked up the first one, with an 8GB Class 6 ADATA Micro SD card. It doesn't seem to work right.. just freezes up right after turning on. Works fine in USB mode though, lol.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
Marx0r wrote: Just picked up the first one, with an 8GB Class 6 ADATA Micro SD card. It doesn't seem to work right.. just freezes up right after turning on. Works fine in USB mode though, lol.

haha does the first one (one you bought) record while its charging?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 21, 2009
859 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
tapanpatel88 wrote: haha does the first one (one you bought) record while its charging?

Nope, it doesn't do anything while charging - can't switch modes or record.. can't even turn it off. Maybe it doesn't like my memory card, or is just a total POS.

Also, I bought two (and two mem cards), and they both do the same thing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
Marx0r wrote: Nope, it doesn't do anything while charging - can't switch modes or record.. can't even turn it off. Maybe it doesn't like my memory card, or is just a total POS.

Also, I bought two (and two mem cards), and they both do the same thing.

Damn that's a waste of money then. I will pick up the second one since it can record while charging. Will post a video later on. Did yours come with a clip? and a car/comp mount?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 21, 2009
859 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
tapanpatel88 wrote: Damn that's a waste of money then. I will pick up the second one since it can record while charging. Will post a video later on. Did yours come with a clip? and a car/comp mount?

Yep, it came with a magnetic clip, helmet clip, velcro and a basic clip (which I was just gonna clip onto the visor). I might just return it and buy this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Def ... 27b2c7bbaa

Someone here recommended it IIRC.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
Marx0r wrote: Yep, it came with a magnetic clip, helmet clip, velcro and a basic clip (which I was just gonna clip onto the visor). I might just return it and buy this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Def ... 27b2c7bbaa

Someone here recommended it IIRC.
I don't know if I want to spend almost a 100 bucks for an in car camera. Try resetting yours and see if it works properly? I watched some youtube reviews and a few people experienced problems with memory cards. Maybe it doesn't like high class memory cards and might just have to settle with cheapo ones :confused:
Banned
Jan 19, 2009
2300 posts
99 upvotes
coriolis wrote:





I'm actually trying to sell it to get the 720p version :p

why did you use a turn signal going around a corner?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1366 posts
286 upvotes
Anyone worried about thieves breaking into your car to steal your in-car camera?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
carniver wrote: Anyone worried about thieves breaking into your car to steal your in-car camera?

Good point but when you are getting out of the car, just take the detach the camera from its mount and put in your glove box or your center dash compartment if your car has one. I know some people are a bit concerned about even leaving empty (without camera/gps) mounts attached to the windshield while leaving their car in the parking lot. If that's the case then just take the mount out and store in your glove box or elsewhere. I am just going to end up buying that $25 camera from Canada Computers. Won't regret it if its stolen or lost.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
91 upvotes
coriolis wrote: There are quite a few in dash cameras on sale on ebay. The most basic one, which does 1280x960 @30fps has a small angle of vision, about 80 degrees, but has a price tag that varies around $60-$70. There is a higher end model, which does 720p @ 30fps, as well as a 120 degree angle of view, for $110-$120.


I have the basic version(which seems to be similar to the one the OP's post has), example here:





I'm actually trying to sell it to get the 720p version :p

That's a nice HD camera and its clear enough to read number plates. It seems just a BIT laggy though no?

Also, how much space does a 1 hour video take up?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4079 posts
991 upvotes
Here is the one from DX.

You don't need those expensive ones as somebody might break in and took them. Just good enough to record the incident.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
tapanpatel88 wrote: That's a nice HD camera and its clear enough to read number plates. It seems just a BIT laggy though no?

Also, how much space does a 1 hour video take up?

Usually you will expend the battery on the unit before you will of storage but it's typically 1GB for every 1 hour of footage. The more elaborate ones can source its power from the cigarette lighter.
Member
User avatar
Oct 18, 2010
456 posts
37 upvotes
coriolis wrote: There are quite a few in dash cameras on sale on ebay. The most basic one, which does 1280x960 @30fps has a small angle of vision, about 80 degrees, but has a price tag that varies around $60-$70. There is a higher end model, which does 720p @ 30fps, as well as a 120 degree angle of view, for $110-$120.


I have the basic version(which seems to be similar to the one the OP's post has), example here:





I'm actually trying to sell it to get the 720p version :p

Is that an Impreza you drive?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
5804 posts
6004 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a 720P one from eBay late last year for $99, and it only lasted a month before it died (doesn't detect SD card anymore.) Currently going through "warranty' where I have to mail it back to some place in China with tracking number (haven't priced shipping yet but it'll probably be a lot.)

EDIT: this seller/model: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123. Here's actual video from mine, before it died:

Image

Marx0r wrote: Yep, it came with a magnetic clip, helmet clip, velcro and a basic clip (which I was just gonna clip onto the visor). I might just return it and buy this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Def ... 27b2c7bbaa
Someone here recommended it IIRC.
This is the model/seller I got. Not too impressed with its reliability given mine failed, but when it was working it was decent.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)