Automotive

Dash Camera Discussion & Recommendations

Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2549 posts
1807 upvotes
Markham
will888 wrote: I have not seen the Garmin speak plus with Alexa discussed in this thread. The only thing that seems like a deal killer is the field of view being really small at 82 degrees. I have seen videos from reviews and it doesn't seem like that bad of a problem. Can anyone comment on how important it is to have a really wide field of view and what angle should be considered a minimum.
The main issue with a small FOV is that its going to miss potentially important details that even your human eye would've caught. I suspect the bare minimum you should seek today is 120 which is nearly what the human eye can see. Many cameras are measured with something called "wide angle view" this is measured diagonally so its not necessarily a FOV but to at least get what your human eye sees you'll want at least 140 of that number which many cameras easily achieve these days. If the Garmin speak plus calculated its FOV based on view angle thus the 82 was measured diagonally...then it might be disastrously small potentially missing far more details than just plain peripheral vision.

Ideally the bigger the FOV the better as it will show details that even you behind the wheel might've not caught. In the event of any incident the more information the camera can capture the more likely all can see the truth of what happened.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1631 posts
1054 upvotes
Markham
whats the lowest price expected for the Viofi V119 v2 with/without GPS ? track Amazon and it does not look like its ever on lightning deal ?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13653 posts
7347 upvotes
Southern Ontario
savemoresaveoften wrote: whats the lowest price expected for the Viofi V119 v2 with/without GPS ? track Amazon and it does not look like its ever on lightning deal ?
CCC says $68 back in Aug
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2157 posts
1331 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: See a lot of people recommend the Viofo here. Getting my first camera and wondering if something like the the Yi 2.7" which is about $50 from time to time on Amazon any good ?
Dont want to spend $100 even tho I would assume Viofo is better overall ?
Thanks
Viofo. Big difference imho
Mar 4, 2017
163 posts
65 upvotes
Deciding between the Thinkware F800 non-pro vs Viofo A129 2-ch, any thoughts ? Don’t think I’ll be using parking mode.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11715 posts
6647 upvotes
Markham
radeonboy wrote: Don't wait, just buy it. Best investment you'll make. What happens if you get into an accident while waiting for it to go on sale?
Good time to buy it might have been when they had the 12% Ebates deal.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
2157 posts
1331 upvotes
$100 dash cam or a minimum $1000+ false claim + insurance premiums?

You decide :rolleyes:
Dec 18, 2017
302 posts
41 upvotes
I just bought this from BestBuy Canada for CAD-90 around on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/VAVA-2560x1440-D ... B07D7XBK4K

Wanted to know if any one has any experience with this Dash cam.
Spec looks good for its price - 2K resolution, accessible from App. No screen in it of course I do not want it though.

If you can otherwise recommend a better one for this price, I can consider it.

Started using it but waiting for SD card.

Thanks in advance
Feb 6, 2018
78 posts
19 upvotes
Looks like a nice cam since it can be connected to a smartphone as well as swivel to capture different angles, although I'm curious about the video quality during nighttime driving.
Dec 18, 2017
302 posts
41 upvotes
ronthan wrote: Looks like a nice cam since it can be connected to a smartphone as well as swivel to capture different angles, although I'm curious about the video quality during nighttime driving.
I will post some video clips/pics as soon as i receive my SD card
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5790 posts
1957 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Anyone looking for a thinkware f800 64 gb solution this samsung pro for $37 working ok in my f800 for five days now.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B9K ... UTF8&psc=1
Update,
Still running fine with no errors.
Last edited by betamaxman on Jan 19th, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
Just bought a Xiaomi Yi dashcam but the cigarette charger doesn’t work on my car. The power indicator light is not lit on. It’s seems like it’s not in contact.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9776 posts
4654 upvotes
britelzg wrote: Just bought a Xiaomi Yi dashcam but the cigarette charger doesn’t work on my car. The power indicator light is not lit on. It’s seems like it’s not in contact.
Try another cigarette charger?
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13653 posts
7347 upvotes
Southern Ontario
britelzg wrote: Just bought a Xiaomi Yi dashcam but the cigarette charger doesn’t work on my car. The power indicator light is not lit on. It’s seems like it’s not in contact.
You can also power it inside with an iPad cube or similar. The Dride app lets you configure all the settings, default Wi-Fi password 1234567890. Then at least you know the cam itself works.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11032 posts
2825 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Check the fuse for the cig lighter it could be bad/blown,
0_o
<_<
>_>
Dec 8, 2009
348 posts
60 upvotes
It works on my Sienna but not X5. Look at the picture. It’s a design problem. The two metal pieces on side are too small.
Images
  • image.jpg
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11397 posts
7810 upvotes
GTA, ON
britelzg wrote: My two old dash cams work on either car.
Swap adapters then
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!