Automotive

Dashcam (A119S) installation in the GTA on weekends?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 4:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2002
35 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Dashcam (A119S) installation in the GTA on weekends?

I ordered an A119S dashcam and was wondering if anyone knows of a good installer in the GTA that can do the job on a weekend? Installation would be in a 2013 BMW F30 328 xdrive sedan and I would like all the wires hidden. Thanks.
79 replies
Nov 25, 2013
874 posts
394 upvotes
Sauga
May be its about time we arranged another group buy with Lockdown security for dash cam installations for $25 LIKE IN 2014. I'm in for two...
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
AudioHeaven and LockDown.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1085 posts
419 upvotes
GTA, ON
Maplecountry wrote: May be its about time we arranged another group buy with Lockdown security for dash cam installations for $25 LIKE IN 2014. I'm in for two...
+1...Count me in if there's a group buy for installation at Lockdown.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1518 posts
1383 upvotes
Are you trying to hard wire it or something? It's really easy to have the dashcam installed, especially A119s. It takes 2 minutes tops, why pay someone else to do it?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1877 upvotes
Toronto
I bought my dashcam a few months ago and followed a youtube video to hardwire it.
It took me around 1.5 hours since it was my first time ever doing something to myself to the car, so I was being super careful making sure I didn't break anything.

Now I can install a dashcam in ~ 15 minutes tops.

I highly recommend trying to do it yourself instead of paying someone to do it. I found it really fun and it's pretty easy.

A few weeks after the dashcam install I took the radio a part and hard wired a aux cable/port into my car following another youtube video.

I plan on installing a dashcam for the rear of my car for the lolz in a few weeks, and a backup camera.

If your gonna hardwire the dashcam all you need is a fuse tap and a hardwire kit (which should cost you no more than $20 in total on Amazon), and a trim removal tool (you can use a flat head screw driver but you will probably end up damaging the trim so it's better to buy a tool

Everything you need to hardwire the A119S DashCam

Hardwire Kit: https://www.amazon.ca/EnjoyGadgets-Mini ... rdwire+kit
Fuse Tap*: https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Add-Circu ... s=fuse+tap
Trim Remover Tool (Optional) https://www.amazon.ca/Marrywindix-Dashb ... im+remover

*For the Fuse tap you need to buy the right one, some cars use Mini's while other cars like my Nissan use full size.
Nov 20, 2005
111 posts
2 upvotes
Is the dash cam kit used for only if the voltage drops below 12v if you hardwired to a fuse 24 hrs. on?
Dec 11, 2011
650 posts
64 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have a friend who has a dashcam and all she did was mount the camera to her windshield and plugged it into the cigarette lighter.

Can I do that with a a119?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1399 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
Have been wanting to try a self install but the weather's been cold!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2064 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
feidailo wrote: I have a friend who has a dashcam and all she did was mount the camera to her windshield and plugged it into the cigarette lighter.

Can I do that with a a119?
Yes you can. In fact the a119 is shipped with a cigarette lighter cable that plugs directly into the a119. Most people here want the hardwire install because they do not want to see the wire dangling from the dashcam. Having the hardwire kit means all the wires are tucked out of sight, thus making a clean, "factory install" look.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1877 upvotes
Toronto
gogogo wrote: Is the dash cam kit used for only if the voltage drops below 12v if you hardwired to a fuse 24 hrs. on?
I'm not quite sure about that.

I hardwired my camera into a fuse thats only on when the car is in accessory mode or actually on.

I didn't wanna hardwire it to a fuse thats on 24 hours incase it completely drains the battery some day and I can't turn on my car, plus I don't really see the point in having it record 24 hours lol.
Jan 2, 2009
154 posts
38 upvotes
Ontario
BengaliPrince wrote: I bought my dashcam a few months ago and followed a youtube video to hardwire it.
It took me around 1.5 hours since it was my first time ever doing something to myself to the car, so I was being super careful making sure I didn't break anything.

Now I can install a dashcam in ~ 15 minutes tops.

I highly recommend trying to do it yourself instead of paying someone to do it. I found it really fun and it's pretty easy.

A few weeks after the dashcam install I took the radio a part and hard wired a aux cable/port into my car following another youtube video.

I plan on installing a dashcam for the rear of my car for the lolz in a few weeks, and a backup camera.

If your gonna hardwire the dashcam all you need is a fuse tap and a hardwire kit (which should cost you no more than $20 in total on Amazon), and a trim removal tool (you can use a flat head screw driver but you will probably end up damaging the trim so it's better to buy a tool

Everything you need to hardwire the A119S DashCam

Hardwire Kit: https://www.amazon.ca/EnjoyGadgets-Mini ... rdwire+kit
Fuse Tap*: https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Add-Circu ... s=fuse+tap
Trim Remover Tool (Optional) https://www.amazon.ca/Marrywindix-Dashb ... im+remover

*For the Fuse tap you need to buy the right one, some cars use Mini's while other cars like my Nissan use full size.
Could you please add the youtube link you used to hard wire your dashcam? Much appreciated.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1877 upvotes
Toronto
woesermarley wrote: Could you please add the youtube link you used to hard wire your dashcam? Much appreciated.
Thanks
I watched a couple

Every car is slightly different in terms of the fuse box but their all relatively the same.

You just remove the trim, slip in the cables, and tap the fuse.
Nov 25, 2013
874 posts
394 upvotes
Sauga
Jeff at LDS emailed me back saying that they'd be interested in setting up a group buy. But depends on how many in here are interested.... Should we...??
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35619 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
BengaliPrince wrote: I'm not quite sure about that.

I hardwired my camera into a fuse thats only on when the car is in accessory mode or actually on.

I didn't wanna hardwire it to a fuse thats on 24 hours incase it completely drains the battery some day and I can't turn on my car, plus I don't really see the point in having it record 24 hours lol.
You need a battery voltage detection installed, to cut off the cam; when the battery drops below 12v.
Nov 20, 2005
111 posts
2 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote: I'm not quite sure about that.

I did the research today. If you want 24 hours recording, then you need this hardware kit to prevent the battery drain.

However, if the battery drops below 12v, then, the dash cam will stop recording. In order words, you will not see what will be happening from your car. I think it is better to add a second battery to the car if you want 24 hours monitoring.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1085 posts
419 upvotes
GTA, ON
Maplecountry wrote: Jeff at LDS emailed me back saying that they'd be interested in setting up a group buy. But depends on how many in here are interested.... Should we...??
I am in. Did he indicate how many people he would need for the group buy to happen?