1269 posts
805 upvotes
Etobicoke
Beware of the white light
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1659 posts
435 upvotes
Goes to show you that all the videoa in the dash cam thread of people thinking they would know the outcome if you went to court you actually don't, this video is proof.
May 14, 2012
375 posts
69 upvotes
PICKERING
cn_habs wrote: OP was driving too way fast given the brightness or the quality of his car's headlights. I still don't think this is 100% his fault but you gotta learn to slow down when you see that light in front of you whether it's on your lane of not.
Contrary to popular opinion here, I agree 100% with this. I also don't think the tractor had proper lighting, in fact it probably had the worst lighting possible, white like a headlight and also on the right hand side, making it seem more like oncoming traffic.
But had that been a dear with no lights on in, the OP may not be here to talk about it even. Glad it wasn't me as I likely would have wound up in the same situation, but it is a good reminder that you should never drive faster than distance that it will take you to brake if you see something. I can see why the lawyers thought his chances were mixed at best.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2080 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Holy ***** dude. At least on camera that looked like an oncoming car, that's why insurance determination rules are so *****ed here.
Dec 27, 2007
314 posts
118 upvotes
I drive on unlit rural roads all the time and have never experienced difficulties when encountering farm equipment, wildlife, or debris on the road. At the same time, I'm not so stupid as to overdrive my headlights when my headlights are my only source of illumination on the road.

The number of people siding with the OP instead of the farmer just goes to show why this generation's kids need warning labels to protect themselves from themselves.

Stay classy RFD.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2080 posts
626 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Valdes wrote: I drive on unlit rural roads all the time and have never experienced difficulties when encountering farm equipment, wildlife, or debris on the road. At the same time, I'm not so stupid as to overdrive my headlights when my headlights are my only source of illumination on the road.

The number of people siding with the OP instead of the farmer just goes to show why this generation's kids need warning labels to protect themselves from themselves.

Stay classy RFD.
I would agree if the tractor didn't have a spotlight shining back.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
40 upvotes
I've said it probably a couple times now, but I'll do it again - I wasn't over driving my headlights. When I saw the light, I assumed it to be a car with only one working headlight (motorcycle didn't cross my mind as it was late October). When I got close enough I switched off my headlights (while still maintaining the speed limit of 80).

Anyone who is driving at this speed (even with LED lightlights) who encounters a deer running across the road won't have enough time to stop. It's frustrating when people claim they definitely would have done different, truth it, no one really knows. I stick to my original assumption that even had I been doing 50, I still thought that light was an oncoming car only until about 10 feet when I came within the light and saw the wheel of the tractor. Granted I would have been able to slow down faster but the end result would have been the same. I attempted to brake first and when I realized I didn't have enough time/room I swerved to miss. I feel if I swerved rather than braked first I would definitely had enough time to make it around him, but I would have hit the telephone pole.
Apr 29, 2016
21 posts
2 upvotes
Not that it means anything but I would make the same mistake and assume that's an oncoming car, which would cause me to turn my high beams off. I have never seen anyone slow down for an oncoming car before but I guess I'm not a professional keyboard racer like many in here. It's infuriating when the we expect the 'law' to be always correct but it fails so many times.
OP, if you don't mind I have 2 questions. What are legal requirements for slow moving farming equipment at night? I assume you looked it up already. Where was the 'sister' when the accident happened? It sounds as though as she should've followed the tractor and be the red lights for it.
Thanks and keep your chin up. It will get better.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1712 posts
1312 upvotes
Waterloo
coangr wrote: I've said it probably a couple times now, but I'll do it again - I wasn't over driving my headlights. When I saw the light, I assumed it to be a car with only one working headlight (motorcycle didn't cross my mind as it was late October). When I got close enough I switched off my headlights (while still maintaining the speed limit of 80).

Anyone who is driving at this speed (even with LED lightlights) who encounters a deer running across the road won't have enough time to stop. It's frustrating when people claim they definitely would have done different, truth it, no one really knows. I stick to my original assumption that even had I been doing 50, I still thought that light was an oncoming car only until about 10 feet when I came within the light and saw the wheel of the tractor. Granted I would have been able to slow down faster but the end result would have been the same. I attempted to brake first and when I realized I didn't have enough time/room I swerved to miss. I feel if I swerved rather than braked first I would definitely had enough time to make it around him, but I would have hit the telephone pole.
people commenting here are *****. i confident majority of the people wouldve collided with the tractors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)