Automotive

Dashcam of accident - opinions?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2016 7:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1991 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tractor tire was definitely over the line. However, if OP drove slower and approached with caution it could have easily been avoided. Take some extra caution.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 11, 2014
640 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't get it. Why would anyone think the light is from an approaching vehicle? If it was, both vehicles would meet each other much faster than seen in the video.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
cardguy wrote: wow..how do you even drive that fast with the lighting you have...i mean you can barely see 10 feet in front of you...crappy headlights or modified junk...but to be travelling that fast on a non lit road...you tasted it!...safety over coolness always..if there was a moose, deer, cow or even disable car with no lights (cause they don't have any)...you wouldn't be posting this video. lucky to be alive man...anything other than that tractor wheel.
Dashcams are know to suck in low light. What you see is NOT what the dashcam sees.

Also, a disabled car would not be dead in the middle of the road AND would have red reflectors.

Stop blaming the victim.
SoulGal wrote: I don't get it. Why would anyone think the light is from an approaching vehicle? If it was, both vehicles would meet each other much faster than seen in the video.
Ever hear of a slow right sweeping curve in the road?
CoolDudeClan wrote: Not determining fault but OP clearly had his mind on other things as you approached that light without a single "what is this thing I'm rapidly approaching, maybe I should slow down so I can figure it out".

It's almost unbelievable how long it took you to clue into that being there. Literally only right before it do you suddenly panic and swerve, and then it's too late.
So you pull over and come to a complete stop every time you approach a motorcycle in the other lane?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 23, 2009
807 posts
156 upvotes
Halifax
I think by the fact others have said they had to review the video several times shows that the light was deceiving and the OP or dashcam driver thought in their mind that it was an oncoming vehicle. Period.

It's easy for others to say after looking at the video several times that the driver should have noticed the tractor, maybe the car did have poor headlights, maybe going too fast, maybe wasn't paying attention, etc... but I suspect the light caused the driver to think it was an oncoming vehicle. Is OP at fault, maybe because at the end of the day, we as drivers are responsible for the way we drive, but I would argue that it was caused by the tractor period.


But being RFD, I would have noticed the tractor and slowed down well before and passed the tractor safely because I'm a good driver ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32036 posts
17917 upvotes
Ottawa
coangr wrote: Hey all, just curious on your opinion. I'm still in progress of dealing with the outcome, so I won't release much details until it's all finalized (I'm hoping sooner rather than later). I'd like to get some unbiased opinions - and I probably don't have to ask this (lol) but don't hold back - let me know exactly what you think and if you would/could have done anything differently.

And in case anyone asks prior, I was doing the speed limit which was posted 80kmph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ5lhKD ... 1ok_FF9v5g
That's your problem right there...drive according to weather conditions and flow of traffic!
I'm sure you would have been able to avoid the tractor completely had it not be raining; as I'm sure you broke hard first before steering to the left and lost traction!
[OP]
Member
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks everyone who chimed in on their opinions. I'm not going to debate anyone on anything because, well quite frankly there's no point and it wasn't my intention to debate anything..

In case anyone was wondering, the reason I didn't slow below the speed I was going of 80 was because I truly believed that light was an oncoming car. I travel this particular road quite often and because the road is lined with trees, it's extremely dark. That being said, as many people said - at first it doesn't look like an "indistinguishable light" but rather an oncoming car with one working headlight or motorcycle.

I did have my high beams on, but switched them off when I believed the light to be an oncoming car.
The tractor did not have the required lighting; minimum red taillight or slow moving placard.
The tractor in question; 1992 John Deere 2355 is not originally manufactured with taillights, and thus is not road worthy for night driving. If driving at night, he should have had a vehicle escort (he did have equipped flashing lights, but were not on). It also has one white light on the left rear of the tractor.
The police on scene advised the tractor was attempting to turn into the drive way where the collision happened, which was the reason for him being over the center line (no visible turn singles either, another violation of the HTA).
Although it appears to be raining on the camera, it was drizzling but the roads were in no way wet enough to cause issue in normal stopping on a dry road. I was able to confirm that on a picture of the accident afterwards.

By the grace of someone above, no one was seriously injured.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32036 posts
17917 upvotes
Ottawa
coangr wrote: Thanks everyone who chimed in on their opinions. I'm not going to debate anyone on anything because, well quite frankly there's no point and it wasn't my intention to debate anything..

In case anyone was wondering, the reason I didn't slow below the speed I was going of 80 was because I truly believed that light was an oncoming car. I travel this particular road quite often and because the road is lined with trees, it's extremely dark. That being said, as many people said - at first it doesn't look like an "indistinguishable light" but rather an oncoming car with one working headlight or motorcycle.

I did have my high beams on, but switched them off when I believed the light to be an oncoming car.
The tractor did not have the required lighting; minimum red taillight or slow moving placard.
The tractor in question; 1992 John Deere 2355 is not originally manufactured with taillights, and thus is not road worthy for night driving. If driving at night, he should have had a vehicle escort (he did have equipped flashing lights, but were not on). It also has one white light on the left rear of the tractor.
The police on scene advised the tractor was attempting to turn into the drive way where the collision happened, which was the reason for him being over the center line (no visible turn singles either, another violation of the HTA).
Although it appears to be raining on the camera, it was drizzling but the roads were in no way wet enough to cause issue in normal stopping on a dry road. I was able to confirm that on a picture of the accident afterwards.

By the grace of someone above, no one was seriously injured.
Did either of you get a ticket?
What did your insurance determine?
Newbie
Jul 24, 2008
85 posts
17 upvotes
If you guys had to watch the video more than once then I'm sure you guys would've all thought the same as the OP. OP only had a few seconds to really determine what was going on, and by the looks of it the tractor trailer should've been better equipped. Video threw me off the first time watching for sure
Jr. Member
Apr 20, 2014
122 posts
9 upvotes
North York, ON
time to sue OP, if you havent already. when all said and done you could own all or part of that farm.
[OP]
Member
Nov 22, 2008
282 posts
40 upvotes
It's quite an interesting story (which is still in development) but can't (well rather don't) want to say just yet, but I'll update when I can.

By the time a reasonable person (conscientious) realized the light wasn't another car (perhaps 1 second before I may have) even doing less than the maximum (say 60) I would have 3-4 maximum seconds to slow my vehicle down or swirve to miss it. Unfortunately since the tractor already attempted to turn and was occupying both lanes when I clipped him, going slower I would have either hit the tractor dead on from behind or perhaps completely t-boned him instead of clipped had I attempted to swirve. These are my observations anyway.

Some times bad things just happen...
Member
Jan 10, 2011
401 posts
161 upvotes
I'm sorry but the driver of that tractor is a bloody fool for driving that tractor on that road at night without proper lighting. I would bet that you would have stood a better chance of seeing him and avoiding him if he didn't use that light at all. Even just a reflector would have been better than that obviously confusing light.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2006
96 posts
13 upvotes
I'm really interested to see how your insurance settles this, OP. This is a situation where it was clearly the driver of the tractor that caused the accident, but I wonder if your insurance will see it the same way.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
3124 posts
1159 upvotes
Is the tractor even allowed to go on the lane? I have seen them moving on the shoulder because they are so slow vehicles.

Also, is the tractor allowed to go on the road at night? Is there any restriction?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2366 posts
331 upvotes
coangr wrote: I'm not going to debate anyone on anything because, well quite frankly there's no point
If only more people thought like this! Well except then the forums might have to shut down due to lack of posts/traffic...
Sr. Member
Feb 2, 2014
500 posts
225 upvotes
garyhudson wrote: In hindsight, I thought it was oncoming traffic too, and I probably would have used high beams for a few secs to make out what it was.
That's an odd statement to make. If as a driver you have already established that it is an oncoming bike then why would anyone flash their high beams in such a scenario. Think about the logic here. You would only flash high beams if you were uncertain about something but you clearly aren't uncertain as you claim yourself that you thought it was oncoming traffic, just as any other driver would have thought. In that case there would be no need to flash high beams.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)