• Sep 20th, 2021 7:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
471 upvotes

Dashcam with no screen suggestions (

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a dash cam that doesn't cost an arm and a leg without a screen. 1080p is sufficient. 4k is overkill since I won't be driving often. All things being equal, night time is better.

Would also like if their is rear camera option (Is adding it later an option?)

Are these things pretty easy to set up, or does it depend on the vehicle?

Also, I presume these thing can be used to make time lapse videos?

Thanks! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2310 posts
1270 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the Garmin Dash Cam Mini could meet your needs. I replaced my old G1W-C with one to get WiFi and a cleaner/discreet look. You can link up to 4 of them together.

There is a new model out now with HDR and live camera (requires car WiFi and always on cable), but if you don't need that you might be able to find the old model on clearance.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4862 posts
805 upvotes
Burlington
Thinkware F200 Pro is what I'm running in my vehicles. Tend to stay with well known brands due to app support.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6665 posts
2363 upvotes
Vancouver
Why no screen? It's not a good idea at all. You need the screen to see where it's pointing as it shifts once in a while plus for initial positioning plus to know whether it's recording or there's an error( it does happen). An ok dashcam is as cheap as $20 off ebay. ANY of 2019+ models will be great for the purpose. I've been using dashcams since 2010, had many.
Another tip, get the best micro sd card you can, as cheap ones will crap out on you as they are not design for such use.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
471 upvotes
Driftwood wrote: Sounds like the Garmin Dash Cam Mini could meet your needs. I replaced my old G1W-C with one to get WiFi and a cleaner/discreet look. You can link up to 4 of them together.

There is a new model out now with HDR and live camera (requires car WiFi and always on cable), but if you don't need that you might be able to find the old model on clearance.
Sorry, but why would I need wifi? I mean wouldn't that just drain the battery?
I mean not a problem if I need to charge it up often.
I'm a noob and just trying to understand how all this works.

Personally, I'd be fine with taking out the sd card and manually uploading any video to my computer via an old school file transfer. I highly doubt I'll be near enough to the car parked to get an alert if something triggered the camera, but maybe I'm missing something?
Tha_Doggg wrote: Thinkware F200 Pro is what I'm running in my vehicles. Tend to stay with well known brands due to app support.
I presume Thinkware is well known?
(again, noob here)
dazz wrote: Why no screen? It's not a good idea at all. You need the screen to see where it's pointing as it shifts once in a while plus for initial positioning plus to know whether it's recording or there's an error( it does happen). An ok dashcam is as cheap as $20 off ebay. ANY of 2019+ models will be great for the purpose. I've been using dashcams since 2010, had many.
Another tip, get the best micro sd card you can, as cheap ones will crap out on you as they are not design for such use.
I don't want the screen because I prefer a sleek and unobtrusive look. Also don't want an extra light when driving at night. If I did have a screen, I'd have it off 99.9% of the time. Of course, I presume (hope!) I'd be able to view the camera through my mobile phone in order to make any quick adjustments.

I've read about the SD card are one area to not cheap out on and will certainly take that to heart and not skimp out.

But I presume one can make time lapse videos too?
And are they generally pretty easy to install or should take this to a shop?

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2194 posts
2039 upvotes
Toronto
VIOFO A129 is small and discrete despite having a screen.

Else I'd go for one of the many screen-less Thinkware's such as the Thinkware Q800 Pro

I recently had one of each installed in both my vehicles from https://torontodashcaminstall.ca/

If you scroll down to the bottom of their site they have photos of their work including both the VIOFO and Thinkware cameras so you get an idea
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6665 posts
2363 upvotes
Vancouver
Depending on how the cables will run, you can install the camera yourself in under 2 minutes. Some screens can be turned off. At night, most will not be able to show anything so you'll see mostly black screen anyways. You won't notice it any more you notice your speedometer. Depending on the camera and how it is setup, some can shift every few days. Since you never had it, it seems you are overthinking it.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...