dashcam and police

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 12:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
472 posts
32 upvotes

dashcam and police

Legal question I was wondering about recently.

Let's say you get involved in a collision and your dashcam shows it's not your fault.

Cops come.

Do you offer to give them your cam?

What if the officer sees you have a cam and requests you give it to him for evidence? Do you comply?

I'm just worried that once they have it, what if it gets lost? There goes all your proof.

Any opinions or knowledge about your rights?
38 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34448 posts
20472 upvotes
Center of Universe
Forget about the officer.
You'll need it for insurance and for court if it ends up there.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27743 posts
12819 upvotes
Toronto
+1 ^

You can mention to the officer and collision reporting center though.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19909 posts
5281 upvotes
Off the 404
Would it be better to not mention it and have it be a trump card? Especially if the other driver is a slimey liar.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
472 posts
32 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Forget about the officer.
You'll need it for insurance and for court if it ends up there.
What if he insists, are they authorised to seize it for evidence?
[OP]
Mar 3, 2009
472 posts
32 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Would it be better to not mention it and have it be a trump card? Especially if the other driver is a slimey liar.
Yes, that's another good point. Let him hang himself.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34448 posts
20472 upvotes
Center of Universe
fred999 wrote: What if he insists, are they authorised to seize it for evidence?
Don't mention anything at all.
Apr 30, 2013
662 posts
318 upvotes
King City
coriolis wrote: Would it be better to not mention it and have it be a trump card? Especially if the officer is a slimey liar.
fixed
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1942 upvotes
Montreal
Keep an USB adapter and OTG cable in your car to transfer the file to your phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2716 posts
1952 upvotes
From what i understand you can provide it as evidence later.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2847 posts
1154 upvotes
GTA
Note that insurance and police are two different entities, and one's judgement/actions doesn't neccessary correlate with the other's (and aren't required to).

I'm sure the dashcam could be used as evidence in a court/trial situation, along with being able to be used for the insurance side of things as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13096 posts
3562 upvotes
RFD
jzmtl wrote: Keep an USB adapter and OTG cable in your car to transfer the file to your phone.
This is probably good to have and use in a situation like this, transfer the file immediately, so you have a back up.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2423 posts
1258 upvotes
Mississauga
fred999 wrote: What if he insists, are they authorised to seize it for evidence?
I guess if you are paranoid and really want to play safe, then shutdown and remove the memory card before the cop arrives. You could just say that your dashcam is just for show and does not work. Anyway, I don't think the cop is going to force you to hand it over then and there.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Would it be better to not mention it and have it be a trump card? Especially if the other driver is a slimey liar.
I had a similar situation. My wife was involved in an accident not at fault but the other party lied to the police officer about what happened. When we show the dashcam footage to the police officer, police charged the other driver with careless driving. When I asked the police whether the other driver will also be charged with lying to the police officer, he said it will be very difficult because the other driver can always claim "he/she believe that is what happened" hence not lying.
Koodo $35/10GB 😎
Public Mobile $30/2GB 😎
Tesla Model 3 owner 😁
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13096 posts
3562 upvotes
RFD
IndyBeak wrote: I guess if you are paranoid and really want to play safe, then shutdown and remove the memory card before the cop arrives. You could just say that your dashcam is just for show and does not work. Anyway, I don't think the cop is going to force you to hand it over then and there.
Or you can say, your memory card died, and you haven't had the chance to replace it yet?