• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2019 11:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 13, 2019
11 posts
13 upvotes

Data-only esim + VOIP for travel?

I'm trying to determine how well this plan will work for inexpensive out-of-country cell phone use (voice, SMS & data).
Key element is my desire to keep using my existing Koodoo number while travelling, without paying $8-$12 a day. Would also like to avoid getting a new number via a foreign telco, even if temporary. (Reason: the annoyance of having to tell people to use the new number to contact you while away.)

Plan:
1) Sign up for Fongo (or similar) to get new Canadian VOIP number.
2) Buy data-only esim (for dual-sim phone) from European or US carrier (via something like Airalo).
3) Set up call forwarding from Koodoo number to Fongo number.
4) Use international data allotment via esim to make/receive VOIP calls to my Koodoo number.

I think total costs would be $3 for call forwarding, plus perhaps a roughly $3 fee to text via Fongo, plus esim.

Any flaws with this? Any better ways of accomplishing what I am trying to accomplish?
13 replies
Mar 18, 2006
53 posts
8 upvotes
fireseeker wrote: I'm trying to determine how well this plan will work for inexpensive out-of-country cell phone use (voice, SMS & data).
Key element is my desire to keep using my existing Koodoo number while travelling, without paying $8-$12 a day. Would also like to avoid getting a new number via a foreign telco, even if temporary. (Reason: the annoyance of having to tell people to use the new number to contact you while away.)

Plan:
2) Buy data-only esim (for dual-sim phone) from European or US carrier (via something like Airalo).
4) Use international data allotment via esim to make/receive VOIP calls to my Koodoo number.

I think total costs would be $3 for call forwarding, plus perhaps a roughly $3 fee to text via Fongo, plus esim.

Any flaws with this? Any better ways of accomplishing what I am trying to accomplish?
I do the same as well. Haven’t found any better way to minimize roaming costs while still keeping the home number intact.

Only challenge I have noticed with this setup is that not all carriers are eSIM compliant. I carry my sim ejector along.
Aug 23, 2014
220 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fireseeker wrote: I'm trying to determine how well this plan will work for inexpensive out-of-country cell phone use (voice, SMS & data).

Plan:

Like you, I also need to call people while overseas using my Canadian number (business reasons). Last time I was out of the country, I just used wi-fi calling using a cheap hotspot device I bought in the country I visited. Worked well.

I’m planning to go to Europe next year , my plan is to upgrade to a dual sim iphone, use local sim for data and use Viber Out to call Canadian numbers. Viber Out will show your canadian number when calling and costs around $5/month.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3609 posts
1850 upvotes
Gotham City
Jedi14 wrote: Like you, I also need to call people while overseas using my Canadian number (business reasons). Last time I was out of the country, I just used wi-fi calling using a cheap hotspot device I bought in the country I visited. Worked well.

I’m planning to go to Europe next year , my plan is to upgrade to a dual sim iphone, use local sim for data and use Viber Out to call Canadian numbers. Viber Out will show your canadian number when calling and costs around $5/month.
I find the best way is to not have a Canadian number on a SIM card to begin with otherwise you will incur roaming charges.

I'm outside of Canada four to six months per year and I use my Google Voice number worldwide without issue. I also have a Canadian VoIP number that works abroad as well.

If you can find a cheap roaming service that works in Canada, you might not have to deal with Canadian mobile providers! Winking Face
Aug 23, 2014
220 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
batcave wrote: I find the best way is to not have a Canadian number on a SIM card to begin with otherwise you will incur roaming charges.

I'm outside of Canada four to six months per year and I use my Google Voice number worldwide without issue. I also have a Canadian VoIP number that works abroad as well.

If you can find a cheap roaming service that works in Canada, you might not have to deal with Canadian mobile providers! Winking Face
I use my mobile for business - so It has to be clear, reliable and easy to use. I only do roaming for 2-3 weeks a year. So I’m staying with Rogers for now. Google Voice from what I’ve read isn’t officially supported in Canada. But thanks for your comments anyway, I will look into it again in the future.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2019
11 posts
13 upvotes
Jedi14 wrote: Like you, I also need to call people while overseas using my Canadian number (business reasons). Last time I was out of the country, I just used wi-fi calling using a cheap hotspot device I bought in the country I visited. Worked well.

Jedi, how did you manage incoming calls/texts while away?
Did they come to your regular number via Viber?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3609 posts
1850 upvotes
Gotham City
Jedi14 wrote:
I use my mobile for business - so It has to be clear, reliable and easy to use. I only do roaming for 2-3 weeks a year. So I’m staying with Rogers for now. Google Voice from what I’ve read isn’t officially supported in Canada. But thanks for your comments anyway, I will look into it again in the future.
I use Google Voice for business purposes. I've been using GV since 2010 and it has never let me down. I find GV as good, if not better than cell because it can work over WiFi as well.

It is my primary contact number. When I'm abroad, I will make a long distance call when calling locally with GV. I find having one number easier than managing multiple numbers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
batcave wrote: I use Google Voice for business purposes. I've been using GV since 2010 and it has never let me down. I find GV as good, if not better than cell because it can work over WiFi as well.

It is my primary contact number. When I'm abroad, I will make a long distance call when calling locally with GV. I find having one number easier than managing multiple numbers.
I thought there was some issue with Canadians not being able to use Google voice numbers? Can one port a Koodo post paid number to Google voice? I'm going to Europe for a year and wanted to keep my AB number for incoming calls but I'm really confused as to how to do this. Port the AB number to Fongo? Or text now? Or what about google fi?
Aug 23, 2014
220 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fireseeker wrote: Jedi, how did you manage incoming calls/texts while away?
Did they come to your regular number via Viber?
Incoming calls - I will just let it go to voicemail. I will periodically check my voicemail using either wifi calling or Viber Out. I will return calls to clients using wifi calling or Viber Out so that my Canadian number will be shown in the caller ID of the person I am calling. Obviously will set up a vacation message on my mobile to manage expectations.

Incoming text - my plan is to turn on my Canadian SIM every couple of days (with data roaming off) so I can receive my text messages. Rogers stores unreceived messages for 72 hours from what I’ve read. This part I haven’t tested yet, but for my use-case it would be an adequate solution.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3609 posts
1850 upvotes
Gotham City
kotoula wrote: I thought there was some issue with Canadians not being able to use Google voice numbers? Can one port a Koodo post paid number to Google voice? I'm going to Europe for a year and wanted to keep my AB number for incoming calls but I'm really confused as to how to do this. Port the AB number to Fongo? Or text now? Or what about google fi?
Google won't allow you to set it up if you're located in Canada, but a VPN solves that. You also need a US cell or landline number to verify the GV number but isn't required after that.

I think you can port your number to fongo or VoIP.ms. Google fi (and Google voice) is strictly for US numbers. I don't think you can port into text now.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3967 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
I do this quite frequently since I travel a lot.

Hence why I always buy dual sim phones.

Canadian SIM in slot 1.
International Sim in slot 2. Only data required.
Voip.ms connected to Bria Mobile.
Canadian number forwarded to Bria Mobile.
Voicemail number changed to voip.ms number so all my voice mails are emailed to me.
Works like a charm. Never had to pay expensive roaming.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
batcave wrote: Google won't allow you to set it up if you're located in Canada, but a VPN solves that. You also need a US cell or landline number to verify the GV number but isn't required after that.

I think you can port your number to fongo or VoIP.ms. Google fi (and Google voice) is strictly for US numbers. I don't think you can port into text now.
Can't you get say a Montana voip number to verify the GV number, while using a VPN? I was going to try and follow this: Your text to link here...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3609 posts
1850 upvotes
Gotham City
kotoula wrote: Can't you get say a Montana voip number to verify the GV number, while using a VPN? I was going to try and follow this: Your text to link here...
What is special about a Montana phone number?

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here. The link you posted seems to be how to verify a what's app account. You can use any number for that, including a landline because you can have whatsapp phone you.