• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 9:00 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA

Data Only Plan + $0 Google Server + $0 3CX push client voip

So you guys have been asking about my signature for a while, I have worked my self to push out a guide on how to setup my current system.

https://madsprite.com/_pages/CellPhone%20Adventures/

My current thoughts on it is that as with current solutions of voip options, it is not as resilient as setting up a Google voice number to receive calls. This is due to the fact that if you are on certain networks like free WIFI locations, the WIFI may be blocking voip ports which will require you to stay on data. My solution is not the best solution, but is one of the many that each person has a choice too.
Push notifications are generally slower than live connection voip clients, but you save on battery in exchange.
Voice mail is answered by an operator which includes needing an interaction to save their own voicemail, this is heaven against bot callers, and hell for non-technical folks who can't understand clear instructions.
If you like to host your own voip mailbox with more features than voip.ms can offer, than this solution is one of the ways.

Please do not abuse the Google Free servers, we would like them to not take them away. They are full fledged computer instances, so you can host other things.

Ask any questions here, I will try my best to address them and update the guide as we all take this journey for a cheaper RFD world.
Last edited by MadCanadian on Nov 24th, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
45 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4265 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 5:57 pm
So you guys have been asking about my signature for a while, I have worked my self to push out a guide on how to setup my current system.
Are you or are you not happy with your $16 /month VOIP solution on calls/Sms/MMS ?
It looks like to me the streamlined solution (LTE data + 1 VOIP app ) is a lot more integrated approach to the voice calls/Sms/MMS.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 6:19 pm
Are you or are you not happy with your $16 /month VOIP solution on calls/Sms/MMS ?
It looks like to me the streamlined solution (LTE data + 1 VOIP app ) is a lot more integrated approach to the voice calls/Sms/MMS.
It would be great to have it streamlined into one voip app. The reason for not switching fully even though I have a hushed number that's permanent to me and gives me 2500 minutes and 1500 texts a year for a one time payment, is to retain my old phone number.
Current solutions to port over a Canadian phone number are limited and with those there is no good app. I dislike Fongo heavily because the mindset of Fibernetics and their subsidiaries like CloudatCost, deters me from using them as a service.
Voip.ms is the best in my eyes as the open source community has built a texting app, which is a normal transition as our calling and texting apps are separate naturally, and is relatively cheap.
As information security is my career, I take my privacy into account.
I would not trust those single stop voip services heavily as free usually means that you're the product, meaning that the services could be using your data to serve the consumers.
This way I leave voip.ms as the only person interacting with my data and nobody else as the rest of the services is hosted by myself.

To answer your question, I am happy with my solution.
I like the fact that the data is in my hands past the point of voip.ms, while saving money, a personal operator system similar to a call centre and having high availability without sacrificing battery power.
I do sacrifice on MMS messages but my generation uses internet messaging anyways.
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4265 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 7:27 pm
To answer your question, I am happy with my solution.
Given your explanation I trust your set up is workable
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1043 posts
134 upvotes
Burlington, ON
how would you expect battery life using this system as opposed to using say GV or fongo?

I have tried many different apps for calling and for the most part they work good for calling out, but Android on my phone seems to go into snooze mode and stops ringing if someone calls me. GV seems to be the only app that gets around this snooze problem and will always ring even if the phone has been sitting idle for several hours.
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
Thanks MadCanadian,

your guidelines are perfect. those are working for me. thanks
Jan 17, 2007
5 posts
2 upvotes
Another config I toyed with was to have a Canadian DID with voip.ms, set the DID up to forward to GV. So, you get reliable incoming. For outgoing you can use your choice of SIP dialer and use voip.ms (so that you can use your Canadian outgoing number).

calls outs:
voip.ms SIP
Set up android native SIP or use CSipSimple

calls in:
voip.ms DID forward to GV #
calls come in on Hangouts

Text:
voip.ms SMS app for regular SMS
SMS short codes (for SMS 2FA): use GV # or your data-only # (incoming is usually free)
Dec 16, 2015
723 posts
324 upvotes
Canada
Too much work. Just pay telus $100 and you get free iphone 8.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4265 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Redsanta wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 4:38 pm
Too much work. Just pay telus $100 and you get free iphone 8.
That is a good one . $100 a month?
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
danieltoronto wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 4:52 pm
That is a good one . $100 a month?
I think he means downpayment. This isn't a phone review tho so he probably didn't understand.
---
Thread
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4265 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
quahog wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:29 am
Another config I toyed with was to have a Canadian DID with voip.ms, set the DID up to forward to GV. So, you get reliable incoming. For outgoing you can use your choice of SIP dialer and use voip.ms (so that you can use your Canadian outgoing number).

calls outs:
voip.ms SIP
Set up android native SIP or use CSipSimple

calls in:
voip.ms DID forward to GV #
calls come in on Hangouts

Text:
voip.ms SMS app for regular SMS
SMS short codes (for SMS 2FA): use GV # or your data-only # (incoming is usually free)
It is way more complicated than my set up (one VOIP app TextmeUp integrating all Sms/MMS/Voice call functions in one portal).
I hope one day there is an actual comparison between the various set up (as in this thread) and textmeUp
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2229 posts
405 upvotes
Montreal
or you can use Groundwire which provides push functionality built-in
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
marc_t wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 8:00 pm
or you can use Groundwire which provides push functionality built-in
And have all their information be routed through them. The fact that they replied to a security question with an answer that provides more questions to their security capabilities deter me.
---
Thread
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 12:18 am
And have all their information be routed through them. The fact that they replied to a security question with an answer that provides more questions to their security capabilities deter me.
Hi MadCanadian,
My 3CX system working fine, still it need to fine tune but overall it is working, still few queries
1, in 3CX console there is maintenance expiry date shown to me 24-Nov-2018. so this system still expire after one year or what will happen after that date??
2, In android APP & on 3CX PBX console both show me i have G729 codec available. but in license detail it shows "number of G729 channel - N/A" . from where i have to buy these channel. i prefer to use G729 codec.
3, how reliable our own PBX then callcentric? what you suggest call treatment handle by callcentric & 3CX extension in downstream side (voice mail handle by callcentric) or vice versa is good?
4, what is the SIP URI of 3CX extension? if i want to forward my DID to my 3CX SIP URI directly rather then registering SIP trunk. & then making inbound treatment. i donot want unnecessary delay by puting 3rd party server (callcentric ) in middle
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8175 posts
2407 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 7:27 pm
I dislike Fongo heavily because the mindset of Fibernetics and their subsidiaries like CloudatCost, deters me from using them as a service.
While I'm not a fan of the Fongo Mobile app (other than as an incoming fax service or for testing purposes) because it restricts me from doing what I want (in particular, the capacity to switch codecs on the fly), criticizing "mindset" is incredibly vague. Fongo has nothing to do with the operation of Cloudatcost; they are both separate subsidiaries of Fibernetics. And while you may hate Cloudatcost (and I sympathize with the complaints), if you think you're avoiding Fibernetics by using VoIP.ms, keep in mind that VoIP.ms uses Fibernetics as one of its carriers.

Furthermore, it appears that Fibernetics has very little to do with CloudatCost anymore: "Fibernetics Ventures initially funded them, but once they [CloudatCost] stopped listening to the cries [from Fibernetics] for recurring revenue and better quality of service they’ve [CloudatCost] been all but dropped."

"CloudatCost is now wholly owned by a single owner, Gerald Camacho."

I would not trust those single stop voip services heavily as free usually means that you're the product, meaning that the services could be using your data
I'm not sure I see a distinction from how Google normally operates.
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/0 ... ng-emails/
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalE ... users.html
http://www.govtech.com/education/Google ... hools.html
etc.
Please do not abuse the Google Free servers
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 26th, 2017 9:13 am, edited 15 times in total.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.51x) can be found here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

ryanrudolf