• Dec 11th, 2017 9:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8175 posts
2407 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 8:00 pm
or you can use Groundwire which provides push functionality built-in
The criticism usually is that you're giving your SIP credentials to a third party when push is involved. However, Acrobits can give you the software to admin your own SIPIS server, where you live, if you're willing to put in the work and keep a server running 24/7: https://doc.acrobits.net/sipis/installation.html. Also, visit https://forum.acrobits.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101#p391.
And, in that case, it's not all that secretive and spooky.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.51x) can be found here.
Feb 10, 2004
139 posts
8 upvotes
What will happen after one year free trail? Do we have to pay both Google and 3CX?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
capital_region wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 2:11 pm
What will happen after one year free trail? Do we have to pay both Google and 3CX?
Ignoring their devious throw to sign up for a Google server that will last only a year, the free edition is free forever, although maintenance and live support lasts only a year.

We are bypassing that sign up for just setting up our free Google Server that Google themselves promote to entice developers to run their infrastructure on.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:13 am
While I'm not a fan of the Fongo Mobile app (other than as an incoming fax service or for testing purposes) because it restricts me from doing what I want (in particular, the capacity to switch codecs on the fly), criticizing "mindset" is incredibly vague. Fongo has nothing to do with the operation of Cloudatcost; they are both separate subsidiaries of Fibernetics. And while you may hate Cloudatcost (and I sympathize with the complaints), if you think you're avoiding Fibernetics by using VoIP.ms, keep in mind that VoIP.ms uses Fibernetics as one of its carriers.

Furthermore, it appears that Fibernetics has very little to do with CloudatCost anymore: "Fibernetics Ventures initially funded them, but once they [CloudatCost] stopped listening to the cries [from Fibernetics] for recurring revenue and better quality of service they’ve [CloudatCost] been all but dropped."

"CloudatCost is now wholly owned by a single owner, Gerald Camacho."

I'm not sure I see a distinction from how Google normally operates.
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/0 ... ng-emails/
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalE ... users.html
http://www.govtech.com/education/Google ... hools.html
etc.
The news that Fibernetics dropped Cloudatcost is relatively new, I have been using CloudatCost for almost 3 years now. Fongo/Freephoneline CSR have been seen working on C@C tickets so the relationship has been pretty close to a point. I would not use Fongo in the end due to the lack of features I was looking for and the single point of failure of their Kitchener DC as it resides next to C@C. Voip.ms does not have a single point of failure so downtime can be easily mitigated. The owners of the Kitchener DC are not related to the two companies and they host other companies as well there.

Google operates on a trust and risk I agreed upon. Mine my data so you can push products that companies have paid to push to me. Google has no reason to sell the data, as they use the data in algorithms so third parties will get money from me directly.
Data Brokers such as Equifax buy data from smaller companies and services and create a package to sell to other companies. Having data at smaller companies is the risk I want to minimize naturally. Although Acrobits show no risk as long as you use a sub account for voip.ms.

The Google server is a full fledge computer willing to do your every deed.

My solution is not the best solution, for every person asking me, I tell them that they need to be technical and up for the challenge, I tell them the downsides and better alternatives, hence why I said I offered it for those asking but not saying this is a solution for everyone to try.
I like my solution because I can feel the control, I also have call centre features to handle spam calls and voicemail being handled very well while I am offline.
I still put my mom on zoiper because I know that would be extra work for me since the control to fix it is with her. Not an all rounded solution but a solid one.
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8175 posts
2407 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:42 pm
Fongo/Freephoneline CSR have been seen working on C@C tickets
I find that odd. Where is that information coming from? I converse with the FPL/Fongo Home Phone CSR, invariably. He's never mentioned C@C to me. And none of the people mentioned in the thread I linked name him. And he's not working from an offshore call centre in India either. Moreover, I was also told the network admins for FPL have absolutely nothing to do with C@C.
I would not use Fongo in the end due to the lack of features I was looking for
Fair enough. Again, I'm not a huge fan of Fongo Mobile (but it's nice for incoming faxes), mostly as it pertains to the app (not the service, specifically).
I'm not a fan of most single VoIP service specific apps either; they rarely allow me to do what I want.
Voip.ms does not have a single point of failure
Neither does Anveo, which is a more powerful (but more complicated service for newcomers, and you're given a fixed number of free tech support tickets per year) service in terms of call flow. The servers aren't in as many different locations however.

I use a number of VoIP services, including VoIP.ms.

Although Acrobits show no risk as long as you use a sub account for voip.ms.
I'm extremely skeptical that they're doing anything with customer data (I recognize the risk is there, but I'm very skeptical of any wrongdoing from Acrobits), but there is, of course, a risk in being hacked (I suspect the risk is similar to you running your own SIPIS server at home; actually I would hope the risk is worse because Acrobits should be able to pay/outsource for better security than a home/consumer based router).

My solution is not the best solution
I'm not questioning anything about what you're doing at all. In fact, kudos to you for posting your solution and trying to help others. I find that commendable.
So, I'll upvote this thread.

But I do question some of the claims you're making concerning Fongo/FPL and Google (Google does data mining, but as long as people accept that, there's not an issue). I recognize when I use Google Hangouts
everything I say has the potential to be mined, but I accept that as part of the condition of using Google Hangouts. I guarantee you that neither Fongo nor FPL is data mining your conversations. Concerns regarding their privacy with them I find predominately FUD: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/thinkin ... #p28148626.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 28th, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for technical assistance unless I PM you first. Please post on the forums instead. I help out when I can. Thank you.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:08 am
I find that odd. Where is that information coming from? I converse with the FPL/Fongo Home Phone CSR, invariably. He's never mentioned C@C to me. And none of the people mentioned in the thread I linked name him. And he's not working from an offshore call centre in India either. And I was also told the network admins for FPL have absolutely nothing to do with C@C.

But I do question some of the claims you're making concerning Fongo/FPL and Google (they do data mining, but as long as people accept that, there's not an issue). I recognize when I use Google Hangouts
everything I say has the potential to be mined, but I accept that as part of the condition of using Google Hangouts. I guarantee you that neither Fongo nor FPL is data mining your conversations. Concerns regarding their privacy with them I find predominately FUD: thinking-switching-voip-ms-freephonelin ... #p28148626.

I'm extremely skeptical that they're not doing anything with customer data, but there is, of course, a risk in being hacked (but I suspect the risk is similar to you running your own SIPIS server at home; actually I would hope the risk is worse because Acrobits should be able to pay for better security than a home/consumer based router.)
The CSR connection was made from an end user in the C@C reddit. They noticed the CSR when he got his C@C ticket reply, it was in a past thread months ago.

I never said Fongo/FPL mined your data specifically, as their revenue model is unique to Fibernetics stance.
Google mines your data extensively but you enjoy it later as it feeds it back to you as convenience. Great example here
Google is not handing your data to other companies, they are using it themselves to push what other companies want us to buy. I trust them to secure my data, although I know inevitably that they won't win forever.
I accept the risk as I use their Home Assistant, their Google Maps for traffic, and G Suite apps for my email.

This has quite a debate, about self-hosting and centralized, in the end you will less likely be a targeted by a hacker aiming for mass data dumps if you hold your own data. Ideally, the argument comes down to who can outperform security practices and willing to risk the data for convenience.
---
Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8175 posts
2407 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:26 am
The CSR connection was made from an end user in the C@C reddit. They noticed the CSR when he got his C@C ticket reply, it was in a past thread months ago.
I've been with FPL for over 7 years. Initially, reps would sign their names. Many of those reps either left or were assigned elsewhere several years ago.
And now they don't sign their names on the tickets. They just say "Team Fongo Support" as part of the signature. Consequently, I question the veracity of the claim being made.
I complain whenever I notice issues on their end (and I have spoken to the tech support rep on the phone).
It's possible (it would make sense that the ticketing system was also from Zendesk and that some resources may have been shared), but I recognize none of the names mentioned. Granted, I've never submitted a Fongo Mobile or Fongo Home Phone ticket. Regardless, C@C was not selling SIP services; the same servers were not being used. Moreover, I'm not sure how one reasonably infers that Fongo is responsible for how C@C behaves regardless of whether the same person is responding to tickets; csrs do not admin services.

Google is not handing your data to other companies, they are using it themselves to push what other companies want us to buy.
I'm aware of what they do; and I accept the risk when I use their services.

This has quite a debate, about self-hosting and centralized
Yeah . . . my father was once the director of an MIS department, and I wouldn't trust his former network admin to run a secure server from home (precisely because he felt that no one would really care), but that's fine.
I also see floods of complaints (because I often help people) from SIP scanners (and port scanners in general). If the threat were insignificant from home, these people wouldn't end up with hacked ATAs and IP phones. But I appreciate what you're saying.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 28th, 2017 12:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8175 posts
2407 upvotes
With respect to security, concerning VoIP.ms, this situation was troubling: if-youre-voip-ms-lock-your-security-set ... t-2115381/.
I'm not sure if the cause was ever discovered.

I can't say I've encountered that issue with Fibernetics (FPL/Fongo), Anveo, Callcentric, or anything else I've used. Thankfully, I didn't have a subaccount with VoIP.ms during that time.
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
After completing this process, 3CX is now working according to my requirement.
But One thing I observe in Google Cloud VM instance google recommending me to upgrade due to over utilization of CPU “This instance is overutilized. Consider switching to the machine type: g1-small (1 vCPU, 1.7 GB memory). Learn more “. After checking CPU status it is coming about 27% consumption. Google recommendation for “f1-micro” is 20% (which we are using). So to make this project last longer & free we have to reduce CPU utilization, In 3CX server side I have configure everything & I do not need to configure it any more. So is there is any ways we can reduce the load on server CPU by reducing unnecessary services. (like removing GUI interface for 3CX or anything like that). 3CX server is corrected to my requirement. I do not need now any GUI interface or change anything till next one year. we need this 3CX PBX for phone service only. i do not mind to curtailed SMS, web conferencing, video chats service, presence service, BLF etc. from system to save resources. i need only phone service & voicemail from 3CX PBX system.

Thanks
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
395 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
guru2gr8 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:52 am
After completing this process, 3CX is now working according to my requirement.
But One thing I observe in Google Cloud VM instance google recommending me to upgrade due to over utilization of CPU “This instance is overutilized. Consider switching to the machine type: g1-small (1 vCPU, 1.7 GB memory). Learn more “. After checking CPU status it is coming about 27% consumption. Google recommendation for “f1-micro” is 20% (which we are using). So to make this project last longer & free we have to reduce CPU utilization, In 3CX server side I have configure everything & I do not need to configure it any more. So is there is any ways we can reduce the load on server CPU by reducing unnecessary services. (like removing GUI interface for 3CX or anything like that). 3CX server is corrected to my requirement. I do not need now any GUI interface or change anything till next one year. we need this 3CX PBX for phone service only. i do not mind to curtailed SMS, web conferencing, video chats service, presence service, BLF etc. from system to save resources. i need only phone service & voicemail from 3CX PBX system.

Thanks
Google recommends the upgrade, but on our side, max utilization hits when we are first loading up the GUI from a browser or its performing system updates.

The only issue I noticed now, is the burst cpu feature, where each time our cpu starts a demanding task, it will boost for $0.0076 periodically.
I have not seen cost against my credit/billing for these either, and this has been running since February.

So our instances will remain free, capped at 20% cpu execution, Google can not penalize for over utilization since there are caps, they do offer burst utilization when resources allow it. There will no need to correct anything as long as the box is performing normally. I can see my box stay at a steady 10-15% utilization on idle.
---
Thread
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
Hi MadCandian,
How do you calculating your CPU usage 10-15 % ? in my side from google console (compute engine CPU usage graph) it shows me about 27% all times. i have four extensions online & one Sip trunk connected.
two extension online on android phone 3CX app & two extension online through SIP ATA for landline phone.
i checked 4 day graph, it mostly stay 27 % to 30% range, never go less then 20%
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1043 posts
134 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I noticed on 3cx website they recommend using Google Firebase to configure push notifications on Android devices since Google is retiring Google Cloud Messaging service. I know next to nothing about how all this works, but I went this route to get my Server Key and Sender ID.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
Any body expert in 3CX PBX system, what tweaks I have to made to reduce load on Google CPU. I just need bare bone telephone system with sip credential (Linksys ATA) & android 3CX app. Till now I did these items
• cancel auto update
• cancel auto backup
• remove presence for lines
• I want to remove chat/sms option (but I do not know from where I have to control that)
• Remove push alert for sip phones but remain for android 3CX app extensions
• One central voicemail for all extension rather then different for each extension.

Any teksevy person guide me other tweaks to reduce resource consumption by curtailed all resource consuming services & make it bare bone IP PBX. So that google VM machine remain happy with least usage
Jul 28, 2014
139 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Great write up and looks like people are talking about what I have experienced in the past.

Initially i used Freephoneline with C@C server but found issues with security as my freePBX server was being hit with requests for SIP. Looked like some bot was trying to bruteforce sip username and password which was slowing down the server. I dont know how Google Cloud and 3CX deals with securing SIP port.
I have also used VOIP.MS at work and setting up brothers business and found that you dont need a PBX to do most things. You can create an sub accounts in VOIP.MS and setup SIP client/phone with the settings. Also voicemail is included with the sub account. Regarding calling extensions to keep it local and save money when calling within VOIP.MS I contacted support and they enabled it on the back end.
Currently I'm still running a FreePBX system at home but mostly because of the IVR and that i paid for Freephoneline which do not give much options but if you use VOIP.MS I dont see a need to run a PBX as most of the settings are included and dont have to deal with Security.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

ryanrudolf