• Dec 11th, 2017 4:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
387 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
metalexa wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:06 pm
Great write up and looks like people are talking about what I have experienced in the past.

Initially i used Freephoneline with C@C server but found issues with security as my freePBX server was being hit with requests for SIP. Looked like some bot was trying to bruteforce sip username and password which was slowing down the server. I dont know how Google Cloud and 3CX deals with securing SIP port.
I have also used VOIP.MS at work and setting up brothers business and found that you dont need a PBX to do most things. You can create an sub accounts in VOIP.MS and setup SIP client/phone with the settings. Also voicemail is included with the sub account. Regarding calling extensions to keep it local and save money when calling within VOIP.MS I contacted support and they enabled it on the back end.
Currently I'm still running a FreePBX system at home but mostly because of the IVR and that i paid for Freephoneline which do not give much options but if you use VOIP.MS I dont see a need to run a PBX as most of the settings are included and dont have to deal with Security.
My biggest liking is that the 3cx pbx comes with a more friendly voice, you can customize the operator however you like, even replicate Fido's call centre system if you wanted.
I like to use it as a filter for spam/bot calls because of the interaction required to save a message. I get about 5-6 calls each day and I do not want to listen to voicemails to check if calls are legitimate.
It is indeed over kill, but I have more features down the road to use.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jul 28, 2014
139 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I have used the default android sip client which works very well but issues with battery life. Noticed you had mentioned VOIP push client. Is this only with the 3CX app on the phone? or is this configured in the PBX server?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
387 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
metalexa wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:49 pm
I have used the default android sip client which works very well but issues with battery life. Noticed you had mentioned VOIP push client. Is this only with the 3CX app on the phone? or is this configured in the PBX server?
The 3cx app only works with the 3cx server. The push notifications are managed by Google sent from the 3cx server.

Acrobits groundwire also supports this if you prefer not managing your own infrastructure.
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jul 28, 2014
139 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 1:56 pm
The 3cx app only works with the 3cx server. The push notifications are managed by Google sent from the 3cx server.

Acrobits groundwire also supports this if you prefer not managing your own infrastructure.
Yes looked into Groundwire recently as there was a sale on the app store. Would i be able to change the Push settings inside of 3CX server and use the Native Android app?
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
387 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
metalexa wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:50 pm
Yes looked into Groundwire recently as there was a sale on the app store. Would i be able to change the Push settings inside of 3CX server and use the Native Android app?
No, both the client and server would need to be configured to accept and send push notifications which both don't let you change as it's handled automatically.
Native android app does not support push notifications.
---
Thread
May 5, 2008
982 posts
228 upvotes
Wow, that looks an interesting development, thanks and kudos to the author! Should try it some time soon.

So, basically, you are proposing to run a free personal server hosted by google to handle google push notifications between
voip provider and your phone (thus avoiding third parties, SIP registration problems etc)?
Jan 17, 2007
5 posts
2 upvotes
Also, the regular Acrobits Softphone supports push notifications (a few bucks cheaper than Groundwire). I've been using it for about a week and no longer have the battery drain of using the default Android SIP client or one of the other 3rd-party apps (csipsimple, zoiper, etc.) Also, I found the default android client would lose registration (even when configured as TCP). I now have very good reliability and low battery drain (win win).

As noted above, I use a voip.ms sub account and a different pwd from my voip.ms portal pwd.
Jul 28, 2014
139 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
quahog wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 5:38 pm
Also, the regular Acrobits Softphone supports push notifications (a few bucks cheaper than Groundwire). I've been using it for about a week and no longer have the battery drain of using the default Android SIP client or one of the other 3rd-party apps (csipsimple, zoiper, etc.) Also, I found the default android client would lose registration (even when configured as TCP). I now have very good reliability and low battery drain (win win).

As noted above, I use a voip.ms sub account and a different pwd from my voip.ms portal pwd.
I love using the native android client as it uses the dialer. AHH maybe one day they will improve the native SIP client.
I have had the same issues with losing registration and battery drain issues.
Sep 5, 2016
216 posts
62 upvotes
If in future google make this thing paid. What are the other option we have, or which other provider provide same type of VM machine cheap for same type of 3CX setup.
Major consideration reliable, cheap annually or monthly setup
Jul 28, 2014
139 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
guru2gr8 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:49 pm
If in future google make this thing paid. What are the other option we have, or which other provider provide same type of VM machine cheap for same type of 3CX setup.
Major consideration reliable, cheap annually or monthly setup
1) Amazon gives 1 year trial of its AWS service
2) Cloudatcost always has sales for vm hosts but can sometimes be unreliable and will need to know how to secure it as they give you a vm thats open onto the internet. Also a $9 yearly fee per account.
3) I hear good things about DigitalOcean as they provide a good service for $5 a month
4) Installing 3cx locally on a old computer or raspberry pi at home.
Jan 17, 2007
5 posts
2 upvotes
Other than playing and learning how to set up a cloud PBX, what advantage does this PBX give over paying less than $10 to get the Acrobits softphone? The first post doesn't explain the reason behind the setup and just jumps right into the configuration. Is it just to get push notifications?

I playing around with two alternatives to get push:
  1. Forward my DID to Google Voice (Hangouts) for my incoming calls
  2. Use Acrobits softphone and get push calls (when you close the softphone, Acrobits registers its own server to your VoIP provider and when a call comes in it sends a push via Google firebase which opens the softphone and it registers to your VoIP provider and you answer the call.)
Sep 5, 2016
216 posts
62 upvotes
quahog wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 3:08 pm
Other than playing and learning how to set up a cloud PBX, what advantage does this PBX give over paying less than $10 to get the Acrobits softphone? The first post doesn't explain the reason behind the setup and just jumps right into the configuration. Is it just to get push notifications?

I playing around with two alternatives to get push:
  1. Forward my DID to Google Voice (Hangouts) for my incoming calls
  2. Use Acrobits softphone and get push calls (when you close the softphone, Acrobits registers its own server to your VoIP provider and when a call comes in it sends a push via Google firebase which opens the softphone and it registers to your VoIP provider and you answer the call.)
My reason for adopting this way is because it will give you feeling of my personal touch rather then using standard products, but also avoid all third party servers in between by using (voxabone , voxbeam or anveo direct DIDs) other things may be useful for some people may be like using cheap DID, or using G722 codec(HD voice) if possible, you can share E911, cheap long distance calling (betamax websites) etc with other family members. this is end less discussion that why this then that. everybody having different needs & different way of thinking. try every thing after that use which ever best fit for you.
Nov 19, 2005
831 posts
105 upvotes
i am wondering how the Google cloud free in perpetuity would work while they say the trial is for a year?
while setting it up, i don't see the "free hours caption" even with y monthly price being lower than yours.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
387 posts
136 upvotes
GTA
bilaliz wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:00 pm
i am wondering how the Google cloud free in perpetuity would work while they say the trial is for a year?
while setting it up, i don't see the "free hours caption" even with y monthly price being lower than yours.
Their trial is an automated setup with Google with higher specs, we are using Google's free offer to developers to achieve what we want.
What are your server settings? f1-micro instance with less than 30GB standard persistent disk. In a location that is available for free servers? ie US-Central1-a.
---
Thread
Nov 19, 2005
831 posts
105 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:22 pm
Their trial is an automated setup with Google with higher specs, we are using Google's free offer to developers to achieve what we want.
What are your server settings? f1-micro instance with less than 30GB standard persistent disk. In a location that is available for free servers? ie US-Central1-a.
ah ... i see, that makes sense, thanks for explaining.
and thanks for the tip on server location, that was the issue, i was picking a "non-free" server in the east.