• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 8:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes

Data Only Plans

I presently have a Fido 3GB data plan for $15 per month. I just received an email from them saying they're going to cancel my plan as it's only available if you have Data, Talk & Text plan.

What other providers provide similar data only plans for a decent price?
146 replies
Mar 6, 2010
567 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
Kanus wrote: I presently have a Fido 3GB data plan for $15 per month. I just received an email from them saying they're going to cancel my plan as it's only available if you have Data, Talk & Text plan.

What other providers provide similar data only plans for a decent price?
Same here, not sure what sense it makes. They are still selling these plans. Perhaps they want us to switch to 4GB data only tablet plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
Even the 4GB tablet plan says you must be an existing, postpaid, mobile customer. This has probably always been the case but they've decided to enforce it.
Mar 6, 2010
567 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
Kanus wrote: Even the 4GB tablet plan says you must be an existing, postpaid, mobile customer. This has probably always been the case but they've decided to enforce it.
Not true for 3 gb plans for sure. It was 100% data only tablet plan. Voice calls were charged $1/minute and 100% optional
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1374 posts
1368 upvotes
Markham, ON
luking wrote: Not true for 3 gb plans for sure. It was 100% data only tablet plan. Voice calls were charged $1/minute and 100% optional
I'm on the 4GB plan and I got the e-mail.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
luking wrote: Not true for 3 gb plans for sure. It was 100% data only tablet plan. Voice calls were charged $1/minute and 100% optional
Tell that to Fido. I received the email.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2574 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
So are they cracking down on the data only plan?
Jan 13, 2002
451 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
I have a tablet that I purchased in Dec 2020 so I still have 17 months to pay off the balance of it. I bought it with the $10 4 GB tablet plan with a rebate costing me $5.00 per month. Now they want to change the rules on me so that I can do one of the following:

1) add a data, talk and text plan for a minimum of $45/month
2) lose my tablet plan by switching to a talk and text or Data, Talk and Text plan starting at $15/month or
3) have my 4 GB tablet plan switch to a $15/month 250 MB data only tablet plan effective Sept 20/21.

Seems like they're doing a bait and switch by getting me into a 24 month tablet purchase and then changing the rules!

Time for a CRTC complaint?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1247 posts
1627 upvotes
Waterloo Region
fredder wrote: I have a tablet that I purchased in Dec 2020 so I still have 17 months to pay off the balance of it. I bought it with the $10 4 GB tablet plan with a rebate costing me $5.00 per month. Now they want to change the rules on me so that I can do one of the following:

2) lose my tablet plan by switching to a talk and text or Data, Talk and Text plan starting at $15/month or
3) have my 4 GB tablet plan switch to a $15/month 250 MB data only tablet plan effective Sept 20/21.

Seems like they're doing a bait and switch by getting me into a 24 month tablet purchase and then changing the rules!

LoL. Seems Apple's move to allow 3rd party iPhone financing have got them tightening up their loopholes. But they can't just change a valid contract on a whim, just as I can't decide to start paying lower on a whim. Definitely CRTC or class action time.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6481 posts
1638 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i currently have 3 data only plans. 1 is the 3gb/$15 plan (will be cancelled as of Aug 6 since the other plans are better) and the 2 others are 4GB/$5 (with tablet bill credit). I got no such email so far.

no other plans with fido
fredder wrote: I have a tablet that I purchased in Dec 2020 so I still have 17 months to pay off the balance of it. I bought it with the $10 4 GB tablet plan with a rebate costing me $5.00 per month. Now they want to change the rules on me so that I can do one of the following:

Last edited by yesstyle on Aug 4th, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 29, 2021
31 posts
25 upvotes
Did any of you that got email had talk plan in the past or only data plan?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3668 posts
870 upvotes
Toronto
for me i haven't received the email (yet), but my wife did

both of us don't have any voice lines under fido: just the data plan for my wife, and data plan + home internet under my name

that being said, there seems to be a 4GB data+text plan (no voice) for $10 from fido, with no requirements/restrictions
Images
  • fido.jpg
Apr 14, 2013
11 posts
13 upvotes
Welp, looks like our free ride slightly cheaper ride is now over. I even finangled a 50% off discount for two years simply by asking for it.

While I never really found any equivalent plans over the years, I'll be bookmarking this thread EyesEyes

Can anyone else confirm the $10 4gb data+text plan? Data and text is not even coming up as a category for me.
Screenshot_20210804-145752_Vivaldi.png
Last edited by mailtodevnull on Aug 4th, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 29, 2021
31 posts
25 upvotes
julianlam wrote: Welp, looks like our free ride slightly cheaper ride is now over. I even finangled a 50% off discount for two years simply by asking for it.

While I never really found any equivalent plans over the years, I'll be bookmarking this thread EyesEyes

Can anyone else confirm the $10 4gb data+text plan?
what plan did you get and for what price if don't mind sharing?
Last edited by daki28 on Aug 4th, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote:
that being said, there seems to be a 4GB data+text plan (no voice) for $10 from fido, with no requirements/restrictions
mrtin905 (post #5) has the 4GB plan and has received the email.

Also from that page, when I select the 4GB plan and hit Continue, It takes me to a $50 per month talk, text and 3GB plan.
Last edited by Kanus on Aug 4th, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 14, 2013
11 posts
13 upvotes
daki28 wrote: what plan did you get and for what price if don't mind sharing?
$15/mo data-only (with purchase of a $0 tablet, which is still associated with my account) plan., 3gb data.

Looked over the actual numbers... I signed up Sept 2016, so we're looking at 5 full years of service. An equivalent plan back then was $45/mo (spitballing here), so an average savings of $30/mo.

$30 over 5 years adds up to total savings of $1,800.

Say what you want about this plan ending, Fido saved all of us a tonne of money.
Last edited by mailtodevnull on Aug 4th, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3668 posts
870 upvotes
Toronto
Kanus wrote: mrtin905 (post #5) has the 4GB plan and has received the email.

Also from that page, when I select the 4GB plan and hit Continue, It takes me to a $50 per month talk, text and 3GB plan.
yes i noticed, but if you fiddle around and keep changing the base plan back to the $10 text+data plan, i was able to proceed to the checkout stage with the $10 text+data plan only

needless to say, i stopped fooling around at the checkout page and did not proceed further
Images
  • fido3.jpg
  • fido2.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote: yes i noticed, but if you fiddle around and keep changing the base plan back to the $10 text+data plan, i was able to proceed to the checkout stage with the $10 text+data plan only

needless to say, i stopped fooling around at the checkout page and did not proceed further
How did you keep changing the base plan back to the $10 text+data plan? I've tried a few times and it keeps moving me to the $50 plan.
Apr 14, 2013
11 posts
13 upvotes
Specifically, when it shows you the modal saying you saved $50 (neat!), say "ok", but then hit "edit", hit "yes, continue", and then select the 4GB plan again.

I can confirm this but also chickened out at checkout. No point proceeding if I'm just going to get that plan cancelled too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
I managed to get to the 4GB plan after a couple of attempts but but didn't proceed as I'm also worried they will cancel it.