• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 9:16 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3684 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Someone in AB could try to enroll in this plan and see what the Critical Information Summary and the Fido Terms of Service and Other Important Information say. Both come as attachments to the confirmation email when the plan is created.
actually, i checked fido's website today (im in ontario), and saw that the $10 data+text plan (the same plan that fido mysteriously removed last week, same one that i wrote in post #12, and likely the same one that assoror referred to as the "glitch plan") just came back from the dead as a WTF. no idea if its because of a glitch within a glitch or if it will disappear again tomorrow, but anyways it doesnt look like a AB-only thing

the mystery now evolves...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1176 posts
1910 upvotes
Alberta
chroma_cg wrote: actually, i checked fido's website today (im in ontario), and saw that the $10 data+text plan (the same plan that fido mysteriously removed last week, same one that i wrote in post #12, and likely the same one that assoror referred to as the "glitch plan") just came back from the dead as a WTF.
LOL!
Bozos.

In AB today 8/16/21, as new customer, BYOD.
I could follow the order flow to checkout without any mention of eligibility requirements.

https://www.fido.ca/phones/bring-your-o ... wType=byod
Images
  • FidoOrder4GBdataonly.png
Mar 6, 2017
35 posts
6 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: LOL!
Bozos.

I could follow the order flow to checkout without any mention of eligibility requirements.

Appears to be going or gone now. Initially shows up, I can choose it but when I click continue it changes to $45/4GB plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1176 posts
1910 upvotes
Alberta
frugalnotchintzy wrote: Appears to be going or gone now. Initially shows up, I can choose it but when I click continue it changes to $45/4GB plan.
That's because you didn't manually select (click on) the 4GB $10 plan, even though it's the only option under the Data & Text tab, and so left the default $45 plan selected.
Try again.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23861 posts
19670 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pjw918 wrote: LOL!
Bozos.

https://www.fido.ca/phones/bring-your-o ... wType=byod
Note:
1. Unlike the original data-only "tablet" plan, this one is restricted to 3G.
2. "2. Voicemail is a service that allows you to receive up to 3 messages each up to 3 minutes in length and you can save each one for up to 3 days." Strange considering this is a data+text plan, i.e. no voice. So how would a voicemail arise?
3. Click All Plans Include and note "On the Fido network only; extended Coverage and roaming not available."
4. Click All Plans Include et voilà, there it is: "Plan for tablet: For eligible Fido postpaid mobile customers only."

veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 6, 2017
35 posts
6 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: That's because you didn't manually select (click on) the 4GB $10 plan, even though it's the only option under the Data & Text tab, and so left the default $45 plan selected.
Try again.
Thank you, that was the problem. So now I'm in a real quandary. I haven't got the email yet and am actually using the sim in a tablet. The problem is when Fido started sending the emails my data service went from good and quite consistent to all over the map; unusable at times. I tried the sim in a more current phone and no change. So with this $10 plan am I going to experience the same data service? :facepalm: life used to be reasonably simple.

Thanks for solving my dilemma @bylo. I don't have a postpaid plan. Also raises the question why a tablet plan would be under phone plans.
Feb 16, 2014
791 posts
211 upvotes
London
frugalnotchintzy wrote: Thanks for solving my dilemma @bylo. I don't have a postpaid plan. Also raises the question why a tablet plan would be under phone plans.
Bylo didn't mention the whole story. Don't forget that you are not limited to have only text, talk, and data plan to be eligible for tablet plan. Like I said in my previous post, you can have postpaid talk and text plan and be eligible to apply for tablet plan or keep the old one safe.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23861 posts
19670 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
frugalnotchintzy wrote: Thank you, that was the problem. So now I'm in a real quandary. I haven't got the email yet and am actually using the sim in a tablet.
I would wait for the email. That's what I'm doing.
So with this $10 plan am I going to experience the same data service?
If the details of the data+text plan are to be believed, service is 3G, not LTE. That could be a step backwards if you need the speed. Also no extended roaming in Canada, a feature I occasionally find useful in parts of Canada where Bellus has more/better towers.
Also raises the question why a tablet plan would be under phone plans.
This is Fido where everything is YMMV. These plans and these apparent system glitches come and go. There's no rhyme nor reason.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1628 posts
692 upvotes
Up in the air
bylo wrote: I would wait for the email. That's what I'm doing.
Same, haven't gotten any emails yet and currently have 2 data plans I've had for years. It would be interesting to run a poll and see how many have/haven't gotten any plan termination emails.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1176 posts
1910 upvotes
Alberta
bylo wrote: Note:
1. Unlike the original data-only "tablet" plan, this one is restricted to 3G.
4. Click All Plans Include et voilà, there it is: "Plan for tablet: For eligible Fido postpaid mobile customers only."
Not my first blond moment of the day.
I should have said no voice-line requirement ;p
It is noteworthy that the tablet plan eligibility note makes no mention of a voice-line requirement.
bylo wrote: If the details of the data+text plan are to be believed, service is 3G, not LTE.
You'll find footnote 9 "This plan includes data at 3G speed..." attached only to the description notes of the Basic plans.
Nothing in the description for the 4GB $10 indicates 3G only speeds.

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23861 posts
19670 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pjw918 wrote: Not my first blond moment of the day
It's not just you and it's not just blondes who can't make sense of Fido's website.

And it's not just us. Even Fido can't make sense of their own website as evidenced by the conflicting and nonsensical [dis]information they post.

Fido's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 6, 2011
83 posts
17 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote: actually, i checked fido's website today (im in ontario), and saw that the $10 data+text plan (the same plan that fido mysteriously removed last week, same one that i wrote in post #12, and likely the same one that assoror referred to as the "glitch plan") just came back from the dead as a WTF. no idea if its because of a glitch within a glitch or if it will disappear again tomorrow, but anyways it doesnt look like a AB-only thing

the mystery now evolves...
Is it gone? I no longer see any "data+text" plan...
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1176 posts
1910 upvotes
Alberta
akoei wrote: Is it gone? I no longer see any "data+text" plan...
The Data & Text tab is gone from the (BYOD) Plans page.
But as an existing customer you can still place a plan+tablet order via Add a line (the lower of the two links).
If you are a new customer, working from the Tablets page, you will be prompted to call in.
Jul 15, 2003
849 posts
246 upvotes
pjw918 wrote: The Data & Text tab is gone from the (BYOD) Plans page.
But as an existing customer you can still place a plan+tablet order via Add a line (the lower of the two links).
If you are a new customer, working from the Tablets page, you will be prompted to call in.
I might have to take advantage of being an existing customer while I'm still with Fido. Who knows when they will close this loophole for those only with a tablet plan. I only have one tablet plan with them unlike those of you with four :)
Aug 27, 2009
646 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
flyboy320 wrote: Same, haven't gotten any emails yet and currently have 2 data plans I've had for years. It would be interesting to run a poll and see how many have/haven't gotten any plan termination emails.
I have the $5 tablet plan i got with the free ZTE tablet about a year ago, signed up with a mobile plan that i cancelled. I haven't received a notice.
Dec 27, 2007
22160 posts
14055 upvotes
Kitchener
cool canuck wrote: I have the $5 tablet plan i got with the free ZTE tablet about a year ago, signed up with a mobile plan that i cancelled. I haven't received a notice.
So you still have a year on your active contract, that's probably why they are letting you be (for now).
Feb 6, 2011
83 posts
17 upvotes
received this today:
On August 4th, you received the below email from us about your Fido mobile line with a Data-Only tablet plan you currently aren’t eligible for; as this plan is only available to customers who also have an active Data, Talk & Text plan on their account.

We’d like to clarify: we’re referring to your Data-Only tablet plan on mobile number 4xxxxxxxxxxx. Any other Data-Only tablet plan(s) currently on a fixed-term will not be affected.

We’re sorry for any confusion

Fido
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6610 posts
1758 upvotes
Richmond Hill
akoei wrote: received this today:
On August 4th, you received the below email from us about your Fido mobile line with a Data-Only tablet plan you currently aren’t eligible for; as this plan is only available to customers who also have an active Data, Talk & Text plan on their account.

We’d like to clarify: we’re referring to your Data-Only tablet plan on mobile number 4xxxxxxxxxxx. Any other Data-Only tablet plan(s) currently on a fixed-term will not be affected.

We’re sorry for any confusion

Fido
so if u got it with the tablet and still paying it off, you are safe?