None
[OP]
Aug 8, 2013
215 posts
245 upvotes
Delta

Data Plans in Europe

Hi RFD Fam!

I'm going to Europe in a week and I was hoping to see if you guys had suggestions for carriers I can use while in Europe.
I won't be needing calling/texting as my family all have iPhones so I can just use iMessage.

I will be hitting France, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands.

Thank you very much!
6 replies
Oct 24, 2009
897 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver
LOLUMIRINBRO wrote: Hi RFD Fam!

I'm going to Europe in a week and I was hoping to see if you guys had suggestions for carriers I can use while in Europe.
I won't be needing calling/texting as my family all have iPhones so I can just use iMessage.

I will be hitting France, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands.

Thank you very much!
Get your hands on a Vodafone Ireland pay as you go sim card through eBay or some other source. Once you get it, top it up and sign up for RED Roaming. http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming/

3 Euros a day gets you 200MB.

Just found the page I got it from originally http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/ ... pean_Union

Many options there including a SIMs from other countries.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1332 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
The above are good suggestions.

If you have an unlocked phone, my favorite roaming SIM is Piranha Mobile - PAYG with good rates, and balance doesn't expire if you use within 420(? check going by memory) days.

If your phone is locked, or you can't be bothered, check out a short-term roaming plan from your existing provider. I'm on Koodo (and forgot my Piranha at home last trip...), and Koodo has a $40 addon with 50 mins roaming calling, 50 outgoing texts, free incoming texts, and 50 Meg data for $40. On the one hand, that's highway robbery. On the other hand, in 3 days of cautious data use, texting friends by SMS rather than iMessage, and using WiFi where I could, I didn't get close to the limits. And if this is a oneoff, you want people to be able to reach you on the same number, and especially if you'd have to unlock your phone for $25+, buy a SIM for $10+, and load it up with credits, it might not be worth it. (Of course, since everyone these days could get by with just data, Koodo insists on making you pay for the texts and minutes too in the addon...)
Feb 16, 2014
49 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
For Germany I typically use aldi talk. Super cheap and not the fastest internet but it does the job. It comes out to 15 euros for 5GB /month.

https://www.alditalk.de/surfen/

Sorry but their website is only available in German.
Nov 22, 2013
239 posts
51 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'm with Rogers and just used the roam like home plan they have for $10/day when I was in France. My BF used labera mobile. We ordered a sim and plan before we landed and he was supposed to have 2 GB of data. When we got there 2 days in he ran out of data even though he was on wifi the majority of the time.. For our next trip to France we will prob look into another carrier for him.