Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2008
625 posts
122 upvotes
Windsor

Data required in Italy for a week

Hi all
My son is in Italy and would like to have some data to do his Whatsapp etc etc. He has an IPhone (unlocked). Please let me know if he can get a data from the local carrier.
Thanks to all in advance
7 replies
May 19, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
He definitely can. The major carriers in Italy are Tim, Wind and Vodafone. He can buy a SIM card on arrival - major airports and train stations will have kiosks set up for this purpose. In the major cities, the staff will speak English.
I lived in Italy for six months with a Wind SIM. I don't remember the details of the plan, but it cost me less than 3 euros a week. They have plans specifically aimed at foreign visitors, so he shouldn't have much trouble getting something set up.
Hope that helps!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1931 posts
103 upvotes
Vaughan
w11x22 wrote: Hi all
My son is in Italy and would like to have some data to do his Whatsapp etc etc. He has an IPhone (unlocked). Please let me know if he can get a data from the local carrier.
Thanks to all in advance
He should be able to get himself a prepaid SIM card with data and put it into his iPhone.
https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-italy/
Sep 21, 2016
89 posts
31 upvotes
Since no one's mentioned it yet, Iliad is the way to go in terms of bang for the buck. Something like $10 for 50GB, unlimited talk and text including back to Canada.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3584 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
once your son is in italy, he can get local sim cards (with data) for cheap, and he is likely able to use it across more of europe

he can do it as soon as he exits customs from the airport, just visit one of the convenience stores and ask

dont use roaming data from your canadian carrier; will cost you an arm and a leg
Jun 20, 2015
30 posts
18 upvotes
I bought an "Orange" sim card with 10Gb data for 15 Euros while I was in Spain. I took that data with me to Rome after that, and had great service and data speeds. They did need my passport to activate the sim card though, or at least a picture of the passport.
Feb 25, 2015
895 posts
1107 upvotes
NB
JasonW431985 wrote: I bought an "Orange" sim card with 10Gb data for 15 Euros while I was in Spain. I took that data with me to Rome after that, and had great service and data speeds. They did need my passport to activate the sim card though, or at least a picture of the passport.
I bought a couple of Orange Spain SIM cards off ebay. The seller did ask for a passport number to activate - they don't care and cannot verify if the number is real though.

Used them in UK, NO, NL, and IT - worked fine. Prepaid cards expire after 1 year if no usage and no topups.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"