Daughter going to Florida

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 3:23 pm
Dec 8, 2008
430 posts
156 upvotes

Daughter going to Florida

Hello,

My daughter is going to Florida on vacation for 2 weeks. I told her mom (my ex) if she looked at the news recently because it's pretty bad there in terms of infections. She doesn't seem to care and they are both still going. My ex is fully vaccinated but my young daughter is not. My question is, when they return, should I wait 2 weeks before seeing my daughter? I do not think going to Florida right now is a good idea but the mom says she needs a vacation (she has relatives living there).
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
She's required to quarantine for 14 days when she comes back anyways, so you're not suppose to see her.

Edit: ignore. Stupid me not reading the updated rules.
Last edited by GateGuardian on Aug 23rd, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: She's required to quarantine for 14 days when she comes back anyways, so you're not suppose to see her.
Unvaccinated American children do not need to quarantine but must follow some loose guidelines entering back into Canada. Are the rules different for unvaccinated Canadian children entering Canada?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... dians.html
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
Bubblejoy1 wrote: Hello,

My daughter is going to Florida on vacation for 2 weeks. I told her mom (my ex) if she looked at the news recently because it's pretty bad there in terms of infections. She doesn't seem to care and they are both still going. My ex is fully vaccinated but my young daughter is not. My question is, when they return, should I wait 2 weeks before seeing my daughter? I do not think going to Florida right now is a good idea but the mom says she needs a vacation (she has relatives living there).
You may also want to check on travel insurance coverage given a lot of restrictions around COVID if worst case scenario you end up sick and in the hospital.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON

What city? Some areas are much better vaccinated than other areas and hence not quite as badly hit.
Dec 8, 2008
430 posts
156 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: What city? Some areas are much better vaccinated than other areas and hence not quite as badly hit.
Sarasota
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Did you provide a parental consent letter for your ex to take her to Florida? If you're concerned, you do not need to give consent. Personally, I wouldn't allow it if it were my child.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Bubblejoy1 wrote: Sarasota
Well, for what it’s worth here is some data for on Sarasota County. They’re actually not too bad for vaccination rates which helps - better than a lot of other areas in Florida, so it could be worse.

That said, they have had a spike in recently reported cases with over 2,800 cases on Aug 20. And with that number significantly above the 408 in the 7 day average things are potentially turning for the worst right now. And 2,800 cases with a population in the County of around 450,000 in total is a fairly high number. For comparison Ontario is reporting about 600 cases across a population of 14.5 million people.

In this context m not sure what kind of vacation your daughter is going to have that would be better than being in Ontario rather than in Sarasota at this point.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

People Vaccinated At Least One Dose Fully Vaccinated
% of Total Population 70.1% 57.9%
% of Population ≥ 12 Years of Age. 76.9% 63.5%
% of Population ≥ 18 Years of Age. 78.9% 65.6%
% of Population ≥ 65 Years of Age. 98.1% 83%

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/cor ... ota-county

Total Reported On Aug 20 7-Day Average
Cases 2,859 408

https://covidactnow.org/us/florida-fl/c ... s=21981124
Jul 3, 2021
221 posts
188 upvotes
Raggie wrote: Did you provide a parental consent letter for your ex to take her to Florida? If you're concerned, you do not need to give consent. Personally, I wouldn't allow it if it were my child.
This, in order for her to take your daughter across international borders, she requires consent from you
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
To answer your original question …

Yes, it would be wise to let 2 weeks pass between your daughters return and your seeing her. For your own protection from any transmission of Covid

And, as @Raggie mentioned … unless your ex has sole custody (and even then) … she may very well require your consent to take your Daughter out of the country.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/faq

If you object to this trip … now is the time to say so. And to not give that Letter of Consent, or contact your Lawyer for further advice
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Raggie wrote: Did you provide a parental consent letter for your ex to take her to Florida? If you're concerned, you do not need to give consent. Personally, I wouldn't allow it if it were my child.
Me either. The American Covid rates are f'ing stupid. Insanely high, and Florida is the worst and practices no social distancing or masking. The mom sounds like a moron (and she also needs to figure out the difference between a "need" and a "want").
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you're really opposed to it like others have said you can refuse to give consent. I remember our first vacation after my parents' divorce when I was a kid we weren't made aware of this requirement and my dad had to fax a consent letter to the airport at 7am before our flight :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
Both my ex and I have provided each other consent forms no less than a half dozen times since we split up and at both the US and Canadian borders we have never been asked to show them. We always have them just in case, but not something that is necessarily checked.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1884 upvotes
Canada

Agree with you that it's pretty bad. Maybe your ex should look at the daily Florida flights to or from Canada with COVID cases:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... #wb-auto-5
So far in August, Air Canada and Westjet report COVID cases on their flights from Orlando to Canada. And Air Canada Fort Lauderdale flights on August 15, 16, 17 and 21 have COVID cases.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I have family in Orlando and they've so far been OK so I mean it's not impossible to minimize the risk of COVID if you stay away from crowds. I think my sister mentioned they drove to a beach in St-Petes and it was completely empty (compare to some of the beaches in QC or ON)

So I mean it's doable to vacation down there (even if not recommended) if you don't want to completely block your ex and your daughter from going.