• Oct 18th, 2019 10:52 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
505 posts
66 upvotes
Oakville

Daycare for 14 month old, but mom works different shifts

Hi.

My wife took the 18 month mat. leave option which would require her to go back to work in January. However, her plant, which she has worked at for almost 14 years, has layoffs from time to time for months at a time. She was told that it might happen end of February. So in order for her to get EI, she would have to have about four months of work. So she cut her mat. leave short and just went back to work this week.

I had my child on daycare wait lists at a couple of places for January. But here we are now with wife at work already. And she's on afternoon shift. So at 2 everyday she's been travelling from our home in Oakville 25 minutes east to her parents' house in Mississauga to drop off the kid and then drive 10 minutes west again for work.

I work downtown so instead of taking the GO train from Oakville station, I've been going to Clarkson station, which is one stop closer eastbound. When I get back to Clarkson station, I drive 20 minutes east to the in-laws and pick our kid up and drive west half hour home in some traffic.

While this arrangement saves money, it will force me to upgrade my old car that has mileage on it as I previously had basically only been driving to the station. If I have our daughter in daycare close to home I could prolong that car but it's only a matter of time before I replace. However, I was planning on doing two or three days a week of daycare close to home to save on all these trips, but also get her to socialize and learn from other kids. Plus give the in-laws a break.

So here's what I'm curious about. Do you think it's possible some legitimate daycares could take an infant in for two or three days a week on such short notice? Like a month from now? I will be emailing a bunch today.

And my wife's schedule could change from week to week from days to afternoons to midnights, though usually it's steady for a few weeks at a time, but then could change with only a few days notice. So what do parents do in that situation where you might only need care for like 3 hours a day from 2:30 to 5:30? Are there like drop-in daycares? Or would that involve like getting a nanny to come in? Which I'm guessing would probably cost the same as a full day for those three hours.

Thanks for the help.
7 replies
Jun 10, 2008
467 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
I doubt you'll get a daycare for 2 or 3 days a week. Even if you did you'll be paying for the full day. If you wife will be on straight afternoons, you current situation sounds good with the in-laws. If possible she should volunteer for afternoons or nights or maybe you can adjust your schedule. Another option is a neighbor or or home daycare. Car replacement cost wouldn't ever cross my mind. Kids are expensive and you gotta do what you gotta do. I can't even count the amount of time I've spent driving or starting work late/leaving early for my kids. It's just life.
May 12, 2014
907 posts
552 upvotes
Markham, ON
thisischris wrote: I doubt you'll get a daycare for 2 or 3 days a week. Even if you did you'll be paying for the full day. If you wife will be on straight afternoons, you current situation sounds good with the in-laws. If possible she should volunteer for afternoons or nights or maybe you can adjust your schedule. Another option is a neighbor or or home daycare. Car replacement cost wouldn't ever cross my mind. Kids are expensive and you gotta do what you gotta do. I can't even count the amount of time I've spent driving or starting work late/leaving early for my kids. It's just life.
lol so rough, but it's true. For my kids, I moved from North York to Markham, bought a second car, paid over 20k/year for when they were younger (now it's around 15k, savings!) for daycare, wake up at 5:30 in the morning to get to work early so I can pick them up after work, not going out at night, have to get up and cook when hung over, and more. I agree, just life.

Hi op, just keep doing what you're doing at least until the kid is over 18 months so your child care costs are not as astronomical.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
505 posts
66 upvotes
Oakville
I've decided I will sleep over at the in-laws a couple days a week and take the train from the closest station. Saves time and gas. My wife would do the same. Just thinking if I should install cameras/alarm system at my house since driveway will be empty though I have set the light timer to come on in the evenings. But if I replace my car I could leave the old car in the driveway as it's probably only worth $500.

Just going to have to plan and pack stuff every week.

Good idea about waiting till 18 months. I suppose I'll keep this up for a while.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2378 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
metaman wrote: I've decided I will sleep over at the in-laws a couple days a week and take the train from the closest station. Saves time and gas. My wife would do the same. Just thinking if I should install cameras/alarm system at my house since driveway will be empty though I have set the light timer to come on in the evenings. But if I replace my car I could leave the old car in the driveway as it's probably only worth $500.

Just going to have to plan and pack stuff every week.

Good idea about waiting till 18 months. I suppose I'll keep this up for a while.
That's a great idea sleeping over at the inlaws.

If you have a neighbour that you trust you can ask him/her to park one of their cars on your driveway. Frees up space on the neighbour's driveway too. Especially if that neighbour has 2 or 3 cars.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2803 posts
1555 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey OP, I am not sure about how long a waitlist daycares in Oakville have, but some day cares definitely provide part time options. My daughter started full time(5 days a week) daycare at Lullaboo when she turned 1. But it was taking a toll on her health and she was continuously getting cold, cough and ear infections. The end result was that even though we were paying for 5 days, we were keeping her home to recover for days. We eventually requested for a 2-3 day option and were given one after some wait. Now my daughter goes twice a week to day care. She gets to socialize and her health has also improved, with no bacterial infections in last two months. And we are saving some cash as well.

I suggest you check with all daycares around your home as well as in laws home.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4827 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
most of society works a 9 to 5 so they don't know about or are ignorant to the fact that there's so many other people in this world who work shift work like cleaners, grocery store workers, doctors, construction, factory workers, call centre workers, bus drivers, nurses, etc, who work nights and ever changing shifts which makes it almost impossible to have a proper day care routine. Daycares and babysitters and after school care programs only cater to parents who work 9 to 5 jobs, there is nothing that caters to employees who work shift work and rotating shifts and constantly changing shifts, no one gives a rats ass about us and our needs, and no one is doing anything about it, but we gotta suck it up and fork over tens of thousands of dollars a year for nannys and caregivers and have to spend MORE than other families who work 9 to 5 and have steady shifts and only pay for daycare, they do not know the burden of our jobs have on our family who helps to watch the kids and also financial burden that day care and care givers charge us. plus not everyone makes good freaking money, sometimes all the money we make most of it gets eaten up in day care, we have nothing to put aside for a rainy day and we only start to make extra money 5-10 years down the road when we get raises in our work and more seniority and slightly better shifts, then we can finally start to make money, but by this time its probably too late. no one friggin understands
Hi
Jun 10, 2008
467 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
GoodFellaz wrote: most of society works a 9 to 5 so they don't know about or are ignorant to the fact that there's so many other people in this world who work shift work like cleaners, grocery store workers, doctors, construction, factory workers, call centre workers, bus drivers, nurses, etc, who work nights and ever changing shifts which makes it almost impossible to have a proper day care routine. Daycares and babysitters and after school care programs only cater to parents who work 9 to 5 jobs, there is nothing that caters to employees who work shift work and rotating shifts and constantly changing shifts, no one gives a rats ass about us and our needs, and no one is doing anything about it, but we gotta suck it up and fork over tens of thousands of dollars a year for nannys and caregivers and have to spend MORE than other families who work 9 to 5 and have steady shifts and only pay for daycare, they do not know the burden of our jobs have on our family who helps to watch the kids and also financial burden that day care and care givers charge us. plus not everyone makes good freaking money, sometimes all the money we make most of it gets eaten up in day care, we have nothing to put aside for a rainy day and we only start to make extra money 5-10 years down the road when we get raises in our work and more seniority and slightly better shifts, then we can finally start to make money, but by this time its probably too late. no one friggin understands
Life isn't fair. You gotta deal with what you have. You can't expect a daycare to cater specifically to shift workers.