• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2011 11:43 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
42 upvotes

Daytrading on MAC

Hi there,

I have accounts with Questrade and using their Pro platform. So nothing wrong with all that, but forces me to use PC. What I would like to have is platform that is native Mac application. I know about Parallels for Mac but I am not crazy about it. On our accounting Mac it crashed twice so far beyond any repair.

Anyway, I heard that Interactive Brokers are only ones with Mac compatible trading platform. Is there anything else? :?:
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
360 upvotes
ZackP wrote: Hi there,

I have accounts with Questrade and using their Pro platform. So nothing wrong with all that, but forces me to use PC. What I would like to have is platform that is native Mac application. I know about Parallels for Mac but I am not crazy about it. On our accounting Mac it crashed twice so far beyond any repair.

Anyway, I heard that Interactive Brokers are only ones with Mac compatible trading platform. Is there anything else? :?:
Oanda uses a Java platform so it may work on Mac. Also look at web-based platforms, they may work on Mac.
Feb 9, 2008
395 posts
5 upvotes
China
ZackP wrote: Hi there,

Why not use Interactive Brokers if you plan to daytrade? Save you a bunch on commissions, and IB is by far the best broker I've used for trading (I've been with Questrade, TDW, RBC DI, HSBC ID). Once you switch to IB, you won't look back.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2010
1453 posts
114 upvotes
Why not just buy a PC then, won't be too expensive for a desktop, afterall a mac is not a suitable platform for trading anyways, for daytrading you'll need a few monitors anyways. I trend trade fx but sometimes I scalp fx, even for that purpose I have 3 monitors :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1297 posts
1248 upvotes
defencerulez wrote: Why not just buy a PC then, won't be too expensive for a desktop, afterall a mac is not a suitable platform for trading anyways, for daytrading you'll need a few monitors anyways. I trend trade fx but sometimes I scalp fx, even for that purpose I have 3 monitors :facepalm:

I agree. I'm a mac user and I love OS X. I can't stand Windows.

However, there's tons of software available for daytrading that is Windows only.

Anyways, here's another resource for Mac software:

http://www.pure-mac.com/stocks.html

Windows list:

http://www.elitetrader.com/so/
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1366 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Have you thought about using vmware or parallels to run a win xp/vista/7 client on your mac? You could do an xp install and assign it 512-1024gb ram and set it on a different space so it is fullscreen. I do that on mine when I have to use windows only software.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
42 upvotes
defencerulez, I understand what you are saying, buying one PC should not be a problem. I hate Windows and we switched to Macs about 4 years ago, small business and home use. However, with this particular application, like you said, several monitors, Windows based platform is better choice for day traders.
I am using Questrade Pro software since it is determined by broker. I am not sure that I could use just any software of my choice and get data feed and orders fulfilled by Questrade like that.
I can see case for large, wide monitor in order to be able to spread individual windows and charts over to see them better. What kind of platform are you using, why 2-3 monitors? Do you put same software (platform) over all of the monitors or you are running different programs on separate monitors? Can you make pic or screenshot without revealing your personal data?
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
42 upvotes
chinamansteve wrote: Why not use Interactive Brokers if you plan to daytrade? Save you a bunch on commissions, and IB is by far the best broker I've used for trading (I've been with Questrade, TDW, RBC DI, HSBC ID). Once you switch to IB, you won't look back.

I am actually reading a lot about IB. More than few people said that they are one and only "real" choice for day traders. Mostly because of platform and pricing which is per share while everybody else charges per trade. Recently I read nice article where trader said that there is no way to make money with flat fee structure because it eats so much of the profits.

* I am still not clear that it gives me advantage over Questrade. I am usually trading 1000 - 1200 shares, Canadian stocks. It costs me 9.95 max. with Questrade. If I understand IB price scheme properly there is 0.01 charge per share. That amounts up in this case to 10-12 bucks. Is that right? There is no price advantage there or I have something wrong.

* Secondly, I don't see that they have TFSA accounts with IB. I want to keep trading inside TFSA in order not to share gains with greedy tax man.
Feb 9, 2008
395 posts
5 upvotes
China
ZackP wrote: defencerulez, I understand what you are saying, buying one PC should not be a problem. I hate Windows and we switched to Macs about 4 years ago, small business and home use. However, with this particular application, like you said, several monitors, Windows based platform is better choice for day traders.
I am using Questrade Pro software since it is determined by broker. I am not sure that I could use just any software of my choice and get data feed and orders fulfilled by Questrade like that.
I can see case for large, wide monitor in order to be able to spread individual windows and charts over to see them better. What kind of platform are you using, why 2-3 monitors? Do you put same software (platform) over all of the monitors or you are running different programs on separate monitors? Can you make pic or screenshot without revealing your personal data?

Yeah, I guess if you plan to trade within the TFSA and buying huge lots, then IB might not be for you lol. My account size does not enable me to take on 1000 share lots often from a risk management standpoint (unless it's a penny stock, but I don't touch them). If that's the case, then I guess Questrade, iTrade, or Think or Swim might be best for you. I've tried the Think or Swim platform, it isn't too bad, give that a try.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
42 upvotes
chinamansteve wrote: Yeah, I guess if you plan to trade within the TFSA and buying huge lots, then IB might not be for you lol. My account size does not enable me to take on 1000 share lots often from a risk management standpoint (unless it's a penny stock, but I don't touch them). If that's the case, then I guess Questrade, iTrade, or Think or Swim might be best for you. I've tried the Think or Swim platform, it isn't too bad, give that a try.

I don't have any kind of big money, and I also don't want to touch penny stocks. Stocks I am looking at are in range of 5-12 dollars range. So with 12000 dollars I can buy 1000 shares. That would mean 12.00 in fees at IB. So round trip is 24.00. can anybody confirm that?
Feb 9, 2008
395 posts
5 upvotes
China
ZackP wrote: I don't have any kind of big money, and I also don't want to touch penny stocks. Stocks I am looking at are in range of 5-12 dollars range. So with 12000 dollars I can buy 1000 shares. That would mean 12.00 in fees at IB. So round trip is 24.00. can anybody confirm that?

US stocks is $0.005/share so would be $5 for 1000 shares of US stocks. Canadian is $0.01/share, so 1000 shares will be $10. IB is great for scaling into stocks, especially when taking on 1000 shares. When I do trade low price stocks (AMD, MU, etc) I carry 1000-2000 shares. I usually scale in say take 500 shares here ($2.5 commission), 300 shares there ($1.50 commission), etc. But if I were with Questrade, I wouldn't scale in as much due to their minimum $4.95/trade policy. But still, overall it would be cheaper if you buy large lots.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2692 posts
382 upvotes
Mississauga
um...what about light speed?
have you guys try it? or is it only available in the US?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)