Computers & Electronics

DDR3 RAM upgrade for Asus P8Z77-V LX - Expensive???

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 9:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes

DDR3 RAM upgrade for Asus P8Z77-V LX - Expensive???

Hey folks! Happy Sunday! Hope all are well!

So I am looking to upgrade my current RAM of 16GB DDR3 @ 1333Mhz on my custom rig from 2012. The motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V LX and hasn't failed me yet. *Knock on wood*

I am looking to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, which will be a configuration of 4 x 8GB sticks of RAM. Here are the specs of the motherboard for the RAM capacity, etc. I need the RAM upgrade as I am noticing some lag recently, especially running multiple VMs and some infected with Malware lol.
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Why is 32GB RAM so expensive for DDR3? Cheapest is $199.99 + taxes for G Skill at Canada Computers. I checked PC Partpicker Canada, and the cheapest is $209 CDN.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=047564

Is there 32GB RAM that I can find for less than $200 before taxes?

Thx guys! Stay safe!
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
16 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17231 posts
3473 upvotes
Toronto
You current configuration has 4 x 4?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6072 posts
2684 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Obsolete stuff is always expensive new. Might be able to get o.k. used prices. Even cheaper if you can use RDIMMs.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5671 posts
2250 upvotes
Debtario
I was looking for some DDR3 to top off my system as well, seems the going rate is about $40+ per 8GB on the used market, locally anyway.

Seems to be really popular on ebay as well, always got outbid to crazy amounts like $120 CAD + shipping on 2 x 8GB 1600Mhz sticks. Gave up and sticking with what I have for now.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28723 posts
9171 upvotes
First off how many DIMMs do you have in there now?

Secondly, don't buy new parts for a years-old machine if you don't have to. Buy used, could be cheaper. With RAM you're not really looking at something that wears out. Do a MEMTEST* after purchase and you're fine. If used prices are outta wack then you're kind of SOL though, sorry.

*Note that the row-hammer test or whatever will produce errors on the vast majority of DDR3, but all the other tests will be fine. I think MEMTEST even tells you about that. This is one of those tests the ECC snobs use to point out why you "need" to use server boards/CPUs and ECC RAM as nothing else will do :rolleyes:
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: First off how many DIMMs do you have in there now?

Secondly, don't buy new parts for a years-old machine if you don't have to. Buy used, could be cheaper. With RAM you're not really looking at something that wears out. Do a MEMTEST* after purchase and you're fine. If used prices are outta wack then you're kind of SOL though, sorry.

*Note that the row-hammer test or whatever will produce errors on the vast majority of DDR3, but all the other tests will be fine. I think MEMTEST even tells you about that. This is one of those tests the ECC snobs use to point out why you "need" to use server boards/CPUs and ECC RAM as nothing else will do :rolleyes:
4 DIMM Slots. I'll check for used.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
audit13 wrote: You current configuration has 4 x 4?
Correct
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28723 posts
9171 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Correct
Yeah that's what I meant, not how many slots but how many populated. If you have four already yeah you are stuck buying all new DIMMs instead of just adding. On the plus side you can sell your old stuff and recoup some of the cost.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah that's what I meant, not how many slots but how many populated. If you have four already yeah you are stuck buying all new DIMMs instead of just adding. On the plus side you can sell your old stuff and recoup some of the cost.
Exactly. Have to see who can buy these haha. No luck in finding used - both BST and Kijiji haha. Guess I am stuck to buying new then. Unfortunately I think 16GB has become old on my system. I notice the lag on my VMs and on my PC for the past few months.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17231 posts
3473 upvotes
Toronto
With 4 slots, you have the option of going from 16 to 24 to 32.

I'll have to check my parts bin for ram.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 2, 2001
4437 posts
1761 upvotes
GTA
djemzine wrote: Is there 32GB RAM that I can find for less than $200 before taxes?
Kijiji is your only hope.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
audit13 wrote: With 4 slots, you have the option of going from 16 to 24 to 32.

I'll have to check my parts bin for ram.
Thanks. Yup I have 4x4GB now. If I go the 32GB route, then 4x8GB.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
shabby wrote: Kijiji is your only hope.
Seems like it. So far nothing.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3842 posts
1046 upvotes
Look out for combo deals too, people usually sell their cpu/mobo/ram together . At worst you end up with a backup board you got to sell...... might even end up with an upgrade to a i7 4790 or something to that degree.

As an aside, are you running an i7 3770 with your Z77 board?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
coilz wrote: Look out for combo deals too, people usually sell their cpu/mobo/ram together . At worst you end up with a backup board you got to sell...... might even end up with an upgrade to a i7 4790 or something to that degree.

As an aside, are you running an i7 3770 with your Z77 board?
Thanks for the tid bit :)

I am running an i5 2500K with the Z77 board.
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
becareful, some motherboards dont like 8 gig ram sticks from ddr3 era. good place would be aliexpress!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000032 ... hweb201603_

I just retired my i7 3770k, but is now a server, 16gigs ram, great mobo. and I'd kept 2 backboards just incase. and the system still runs soild.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Top