Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga

Dead battery

Two weeks ago I took my car in for an oil change and asked the mechanic if I needed to change my battery yet, and the mechanic checked the battery and said all was fine... I also didn't experience any problems with the car or starting the car.

Last Wednesday morning I went to start my car and the battery was dead (I didn't use the car for four days prior to that). So I had the battery boosted... All was working well. Today (five days later) I took my car out in the morning, came home in the afternoon. And then when I went to take the car out again, the battery was dead... I had it boosted again but it died again when I tried to start my car again after.

Why was the mechanic not able to see that my battery needed changing? Or what caused it to drain suddenly after the check up with the mechanic?

Also, I'll be bringing my car to the mechanic first thing tomorrow. When I boost my car tomorrow, will it have enough life to get to my mechanic 15km away? Or would it be better to find an auto shop closer to me (there's an Active Green & Ross not too far, but I would prefer to bring to mechanic).
Last edited by Raggie on May 20th, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
45 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12246 posts
1975 upvotes
GTA
maybe parasitic draw hello. my parents euro car died after parking for 2 days with new battery. we need to lock door now and tell car to sleep......
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
qaz393 wrote: maybe parasitic draw hello. my parents euro car died after parking for 2 days with new battery. we need to lock door now and tell car to sleep......
I'm not a car person so I don't understand what you said .
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11644 posts
2144 upvotes
Toronto
What make and model? Recently, 2019 CRV on certain trims had a major issue on that. It was due to a software bug making the computer run all night and thus draining the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8681 posts
1625 upvotes
As long as the alternator isn't shot, you should be fine to drive this car to your mechanic once you get the battery boosted. You'll know if it's the alternator as the car would quit on you withing a short while of driving.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
How old is your car and battery? Did you ever let the battery die (like by leaving a light on or something)?
Have you ever given it a full charge? It's good to periodically charge your battery with a smart charger, especially if you have a shorter daily drive.
That said, since you've drained it so many times now it's probably dead. Take it to Part Source to be tested and just buy a new battery from them if dead.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
How old is your car and battery? Did you ever let the battery die (like by leaving a light on or something)?
Have you ever given it a full charge? It's good to periodically charge your battery with a smart charger, especially if you have a shorter daily drive.
That said, since you've drained it so many times now it's probably dead. Take it to Part Source to be tested and just buy a new battery from them if dead (or walmart/costco if you want a better deal).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
My car is a 2012 Mazda 3. This is a second battery about 3.5 years old. I thought batteries last about 5 years.. Ive never let the battery die. I have no idea why suddenly the battery suddenly went dead...
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13781 posts
8825 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
maybe check the connectors, could be build-up on connectors.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4706 posts
3816 upvotes
Raggie wrote: My car is a 2012 Mazda 3. This is a second battery about 3.5 years old. I thought batteries last about 5 years.. Ive never let the battery die. I have no idea why suddenly the battery suddenly went dead...
Almost 4 years old, not that uncommon for batteries to go around that time
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
Raggie wrote: My car is a 2012 Mazda 3. This is a second battery about 3.5 years old. I thought batteries last about 5 years.. Ive never let the battery die. I have no idea why suddenly the battery suddenly went dead...
Goto any Partsource store. They can test your battery for free while it's still in your car
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3427 posts
1005 upvotes
Edmonton
OP go buy a meter and do some testing
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
My car is dead, I need to bring it to the mechanic.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11713 posts
8188 upvotes
GTA, ON
Check the connections just to make sure they are tight. Happened once to wife's car. Brought it in for service and it just happened mechanic didn't tighten one of the connections well. Car started & worked for several days and then one day wouldn't start. The jostling made the connection come off just slightly and the car wouldn't start.

If new battery is required, just get one from Costco.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
I'll make sure the mechanics check them. Thanks.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
Raggie wrote: I'll make sure the mechanics check them. Thanks.
Car batteries don't take complete discharge very well. Just doing it once or twice and you've sucked about a year's life out of it as it will not hold a charge like before. Lead acid batteries like to be fully topped at all times, in other words they like to be started and charged every day. Starting your car after 4 days of sitting, you'll be replacing the battery every 3 years. At this point, if it starts and runs after a boost I wouldn't bother spending money on a diagnosis, just get a new battery. If you don't start and run your car daily ask your mechanic to install an AGM battery. They are more adept to not being started for longer periods.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
Car batteries don't take complete discharge very well. Just doing it once or twice and you've sucked about a year's life out of it as it will not hold a charge like before. Lead acid batteries like to be fully topped at all times, in other words they like to be started and charged every day. Starting your car after 4 days of sitting, you'll be replacing the battery every 3 years. At this point, if it starts and runs after a boost I wouldn't bother spending money on a diagnosis, just get a new battery. If you don't start and run your car daily ask your mechanic to install an AGM battery. They are better designed to sit without being started and will last longer than a typical lead acid at a higher cost though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
ottofly wrote: Car batteries don't take complete discharge very well. Just doing it once or twice and you've sucked about a year's life out of it as it will not hold a charge like before. Lead acid batteries like to be fully topped at all times, in other words they like to be started and charged every day. Starting your car after 4 days of sitting, you'll be replacing the battery every 3 years. At this point, if it starts and runs after a boost I wouldn't bother spending money on a diagnosis, just get a new battery. If you don't start and run your car daily ask your mechanic to install an AGM battery. They are more adept to not being started for longer periods.
I didn't drive for four days cus I was on vacation. The mechanic is changing the battery. That's what I thought as well no point in just getting a diagnostic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35263 posts
21250 upvotes
Center of Universe
Raggie wrote: I didn't drive for four days cus I was on vacation. The mechanic is changing the battery. That's what I thought as well no point in just getting a diagnostic.
What's the warranty on the last battery?
You can try to get prorated refund.