• Feb 4th, 2019 12:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4811 posts
145 upvotes
GTA

Dead Battery Syndrome - 2017 Ford Fusion, Explorer, Lincoln MK-Z

Anyone with a 2017 Ford Fusion (or possibly Explorer or Lincoln MK-Z) experiencing low or dead battery syndrome?

The most info could find is a 60+ page thread on a 2017 Fusion Sport forum:
http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/ ... ttery.html

Bottom line is that more and more people seem to be coming out to start their cars in the morning, and not enough juice left in the battery to do so. There's obviously an issue with the electronics (whether it's hardware or software/firmware caused) creating a parasitic draw that's enough to deplete the battery overnight (or possibly over a few days).

Being that it's a Fusion Sport forum, owners chiming in are specifically Sport owners. However a fleet manager chimed in that he's experienced the issue with other trim levels, there's anecdotal reports of people saying that they've heard of various 2017 Fusions needing a jump on dealer lots, and reports that 2017 Explorer and Lincoln MK-Z vehicles are also experiencing this.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this yet and what their experience has been. I'd really love to know just how widespread the issue is, and what percentage of owners are affected.
Rock it.
27 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4811 posts
145 upvotes
GTA
Thanks, although that was also posted in the linked thread. That affects an extremely low number of Fusion Sport vehicles though, and I believe several people have posted that they've had that fix applied without it resolving the battery drain issue. There's also been a lot more 2017 vehicles built past that June 3 2016 cutoff.
Rock it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5310 posts
867 upvotes
This is what happens when you buy a Ford or listen to Matthew McConaughey
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
If you want to troubleshoot it yourself, then grab a DVM or an amp meter and place it in series with your negative battery cable. Anything in excess of 50-60mA is considered a parasitic draw when the vehicle is off. The trick is to remove one fuse at the time when there is a draw. When this current draw stops you will at least have identified the circuit which is drawing this current. From your vehicle service manual you can focus on the specific issue on the cause of the current draw.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
chdude3 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:01 pm
Thanks, although that was also posted in the linked thread. That affects an extremely low number of Fusion Sport vehicles though, and I believe several people have posted that they've had that fix applied without it resolving the battery drain issue. There's also been a lot more 2017 vehicles built past that June 3 2016 cutoff.
Has the vehicle been at the dealership as there are several TSB's on this issue pertaining to three models?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13322 upvotes
Ottawa
2016 Explorer owner here and haven't experienced the dead battery syndrome.
The vehicle has an "intelligent" battery monitoring system and will automatically disable powerports and turn off all lights; however this feature can be disabled via programming and it may be the cause.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2670 posts
1551 upvotes
Montreal
eldiablo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:27 pm
If you want to troubleshoot it yourself, then grab a DVM or an amp meter and place it in series with your negative battery cable. Anything in excess of 50-60mA is considered a parasitic draw when the vehicle is off. The trick is to remove one fuse at the time when there is a draw. When this current draw stops you will at least have identified the circuit which is drawing this current. From your vehicle service manual you can focus on the specific issue on the cause of the current draw.
Not as easy now with all the computer in cars, just taking off the battery terminal to connect a meter could cause modules to wake up and create false parasitic reading. Also I recall the "normal" draw is also higher than before
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
jzmtl wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:36 pm
Not as easy now with all the computer in cars, just taking off the battery terminal to connect a meter could cause modules to wake up and create false parasitic reading. Also I recall the "normal" draw is also higher than before
I am not referring to an instantaneous reading but something after several minutes of reconnection to the battery terminal. The higher draw would persist for no more than a few minutes. Obviously the vehicle is not to be started while this step is being performed.

I should also make an exception to all 2014+ BMW models. Do not perform this TEST.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4811 posts
145 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:34 pm
2016 Explorer owner here and haven't experienced the dead battery syndrome.
The vehicle has an "intelligent" battery monitoring system and will automatically disable powerports and turn off all lights; however this feature can be disabled via programming and it may be the cause.
This appears limited to 2017 models. And the "intelligent" system can't overcome a malfunctioning module - if something is waking up when it should not be, the battery is going to drain regardless. Believe me, I appreciate the suggestion, but I tried a lot of things - and with the number of reports in the above-linked Fusion Sport Forum thread, it's unfortunately not something as simple as that.
eldiablo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:29 pm
Has the vehicle been at the dealership as there are several TSB's on this issue pertaining to three models?
Definitely, it's still there from its second visit - 2+ weeks and counting, this time. Waiting for a part to come in, although I'm not holding my breath that it will fix the root cause.
jzmtl wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:36 pm
Exactly. Plus why should I waste my own time doing this on a 10 week old car (when the symptoms first showed) that I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on. Even if I managed to isolate it to a specific module, if it's a firmware issue replacing the part won't fix it. I did a reasonable amount of troubleshooting, but something was waking up at odd intervals and draining the battery. This was replicated at the dealership. The last time I had the car, I took a voltage measurement at 6:30pm one evening and then again 7:30am the following day. It had dropped from 12.49V to 11.56V, almost a 1V drop in a 13h period.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21540 posts
2302 upvotes
This car should be under warranty take it to the dealership
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1727 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eldiablo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 12:48 pm
I am not referring to an instantaneous reading but something after several minutes of reconnection to the battery terminal. The higher draw would persist for no more than a few minutes. Obviously the vehicle is not to be started while this step is being performed.

I should also make an exception to all 2014+ BMW models. Do not perform this TEST.
Why not use it with BMW?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4811 posts
145 upvotes
GTA
george__ wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 2:22 pm
This car should be under warranty take it to the dealership
It is, and I did weeks ago.

But that doesn't answer my original question. While suggestions are appreciated, I'm not looking for troubleshooting tips - I've already done a fair bit of research and investigation.

What I'm interested in is whether anyone else has experienced this or not. There are enough other reports online that I don't believe my experience is a 1-off, but I'm unable to gauge just how widespread the problem may (or may not) be.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27368 posts
13322 upvotes
Ottawa
chdude3 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 2:56 pm
It is, and I did weeks ago.

But that doesn't answer my original question. While suggestions are appreciated, I'm not looking for troubleshooting tips - I've already done a fair bit of research and investigation.

What I'm interested in is whether anyone else has experienced this or not. There are enough other reports online that I don't believe my experience is a 1-off, but I'm unable to gauge just how widespread the problem may (or may not) be.
Best to join a Fusion specific forum, as there's probably only a handful of 2017 Fusion owners on
RFD.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of the Acura MDX 2007 to 2009. It had a parasitic draw from the Bluetooth which killed batteries over night. The Bluetooth kept wanting to connect and searching for my phone after I left the vehicle and ended up killing the battery. The fix was to buy a new Bluetooth or disconnect the old one and go Bluetooth less. Ofcourse Acura didn't take responsibility to fix this issue a d most owners were told to fix on their own. Hope that might help.