• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2006 8:56 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 28, 2005
337 posts
184 upvotes

[DEAD] LF: basic laptop under $500 ??

I will be working overseas for 3 months and am looking for a dirt cheap, very basic laptop.

I can't spend much more than $500 and am currently looking at buying a used one, but would much prefer to buy a new one (even if it has lower specs).

Any such deals out there??

Thanks in advance. :)
"Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny."
- Frank Zappa
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2004
1186 posts
12 upvotes
I bought a new B120 from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] for around $450, but that was a pricing error so I wouldn't count on something coming up for that little again for a while.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2004
1708 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
maybe you will have to pay by credit card. 500 including tax is almost impossible except if it is a price error as akosh said
Oct 28, 2005
337 posts
184 upvotes
I was actually talking about $500 + Tax ;)

so $575-$600 with tax would be ok... and CC payment is fine.
- Frank Zappa
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2004
1186 posts
12 upvotes
CheapA$$ wrote:I was actually talking about $500 + Tax ;)

so $575-$600 with tax would be ok... and CC payment is fine.
You're still not going to find anything for $500 + tax. The cheapest non-pricing error laptop I've seen was either the Inspiron 1300 from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] for 599 + tax or some Acer for around the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
1709 posts
12 upvotes
Earth
Product: DELL-LATITUDE C600

Specs: PIII-1 GHZ, 384MB, 15.0GB, 14.1, ENET O/B, MODEM O/B, TOUCHPAD & TRACKPOINT, CD ROM DRIVE & FLOPPY DRIVE(SWAPABLE), BATTERY (HOLDS A EXCELLENT CHARGER 2+ HRS), HOME CHARGER

Condition: Excellent to mint No dead pixels. All stuff in tack..ie serial #s and even has the windows 98 keys...its currently runnin Xp...

Locations: Scarborough (pick up only please or shipped to u at ur cost)

Price: $450cad OR BEST OFFER NO LOW BALLIN BUT I FLEXABLE

laptop is in great great condition NO damages & NO Dead pixel
Oct 28, 2005
337 posts
184 upvotes
[QUOTE]Product: DELL-LATITUDE C600

Specs: PIII-1 GHZ, 384MB, 15.0GB, 14.1, ENET O/B, MODEM O/B, TOUCHPAD & TRACKPOINT, CD ROM DRIVE & FLOPPY DRIVE(SWAPABLE), BATTERY (HOLDS A EXCELLENT CHARGER 2+ HRS), HOME CHARGER

Condition: Excellent to mint No dead pixels. All stuff in tack..ie serial #s and even has the windows 98 keys...its currently runnin Xp...

Locations: Scarborough (pick up only please or shipped to u at ur cost)

Price: $450cad OR BEST OFFER NO LOW BALLIN BUT I FLEXABLE

laptop is in great great condition NO damages & NO Dead pixel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer... but I'm looking for something a bit beefier! ;)

[QUOTE]Lenovo/IBM

Good quality laptops for cheap price. (~$500)

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Great link thanx...

Edit: I wonder what "slightly blemished" is according to them??
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... logId=-124

cracked lcd? missing a hinge? :confused:
- Frank Zappa
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3196 posts
735 upvotes
The celeron doesn't look too bad... BB and FS usually offer promotions like paying off a laptop within a year (with a $50 service fee) if you use their store credit card. That allows you to kinda spread out the cost of the laptop a bit better (doesn't hit you as hard each month) and allows you to get a better laptop than anticipated.

Failing that, I do have an ultra-slim Averatec 3150 from FS for sale if you're interested. The top cover is supposedly "magnesium alloy", so its a bit scuffed, but i've only used the thing for maybe... 25-30 hours since I got it?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1583 posts
142 upvotes
Thornhill
CheapA$$ wrote:Thanks for the offer... but I'm looking for something a bit beefier! ;)

Great link thanx...

Edit: I wonder what "slightly blemished" is according to them??
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... logId=-124

cracked lcd? missing a hinge? :confused:
Honestly I've read some good things about the used laptops at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=263]Lenovo[/rfdlink]. By "slightly blemished" they mean exactly that. Just a scratch here and there, but no cracked lcd's or hinges (atleast this is what i've heard on forums). In addition to that, Thinkpads are sturdier (good for travelling) and also have a better resale value (compared to the Acer that you have there)

Just my 2 cents.
Oct 28, 2005
337 posts
184 upvotes
Thanks to all for your advice and replies.

I just purchased an eMachines from alexcold, so the search is over! ;)

Cheers
- Frank Zappa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)