Personal Finance

[DEAD] Ontario to roll out basic income in three cities - Hamilton, Thunder Bay and Lindsay

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2018 1:04 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6946 posts
2930 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: So now you're comparing people who are in the elite in their field to people who are simply hobbyists. Olympic athletes in Canada get peanuts by the way and being an Olympic athlete is hardly just "having fun".
Olympic athletes typically come from very privileged homes...not everybody can afford to take their kid downhill skiing every weekend from the age of 3, take the family to travel everywhere in pursuit of the sport long before financing kicks in...why reward some of the most privileged in society? That's fair?
Feb 24, 2017
57 posts
16 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Olympic athletes typically come from very privileged homes...not everybody can afford to take their kid downhill skiing every weekend from the age of 3, take the family to travel everywhere in pursuit of the sport long before financing kicks in...why reward some of the most privileged in society? That's fair?
I know an Olympic athlete who has to work part time to live and train the other time.

Edit: I just read the article. Don't see anything wrong. Does Canada want to earn metals? Then fun the athletes. Other countries put a lot more $ into their athletes..

They are basically senior employees earning 21k a year. If they quit this they could most likely get a higher paying job. Private coaching for another country.. etc. The juniors get 12k/year. It's a real rip off being a top athlete in Canada.
Dec 6, 2010
446 posts
122 upvotes
Glad to see free money coming to an end.....you got to work no matter how hard you "think" it is
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13061 posts
3175 upvotes
Markham
lecale wrote: Olympic athletes typically come from very privileged homes...not everybody can afford to take their kid downhill skiing every weekend from the age of 3, take the family to travel everywhere in pursuit of the sport long before financing kicks in...why reward some of the most privileged in society? That's fair?
Idiotic argument where you are cherry picking something like downhill skiing. I don't care if you are from a privileged skiing background or you grew up broke and are an elite soccer player (sport that requires minimal money). If you are elite at something then it makes sense to offer some support. If you want to hand out money to every person who wants to "find themselves" then do it with your own money.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3323 posts
2746 upvotes
I think a better idea would be no income tax up to 20k in earnings.

In all honesty tax free income bracket in third world countries where the cost of living is lower is the same like in Canada.

I think more people would be willing to work instead of staying on dole.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1814 posts
764 upvotes
ON
I've heard this could be the way of the future. Paying us to live, as robots / AI take all the jobs.
I'm glad they stopped it. It doesn't quite make sense to me as of today, but one day maybe.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33011 posts
3456 upvotes
Winnipeg
thetipster wrote: I've heard this could be the way of the future. Paying us to live, as robots / AI take all the jobs.
I'm glad they stopped it. It doesn't quite make sense to me as of today, but one day maybe.
it will be the way of the future, it is only matter of time, no one knows exactly when is the right time to introduce it, i think it is best to start slow and start early.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)