Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario

Dead SSDs?

Anybody got any secret tips on reviving SSDs?

Bought a "grab bag" style bunch of drives on kijiji for $20 "as-is" seeing a few SSDs and a bunch of large capacity hard drives. Surprise surprise, all are dead or have serious issues. I assumed it was user error, never seen 2 brand name SSDs fail, but sure enough both here are fubar. the mechanical drives will be for magnets.

Both Samsung 850 EVO 500GB drives. One is not recognized in the bios at all, the other shows up but hangs up the boot process by a minute and will not format at all. Tried putting it into a USB enclosure, formattign through windows and linux, running dban to zero it just for kicks and nothing works.

Just wondering if there is something I'm missing here, any samsung low-level format style utilities out there that can look at otherwise bricked or non-functional drives?

Too late tonight, but I noticed one of the drives has a manufacture date of 2017... technically should be within warranty as their warranty is 5 years. Will reach out to Samsung support to see if they can RMA it, though I do not have a proof of purchase, hope they can just go by manufacture date.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
15 replies
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Try to RMA first, but I doubt they'd take anything without proof of purchase.

You could try updating firmware with Samsung Magician.

Someone also had luck reflowing the solder.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3772 posts
2454 upvotes
London
good luck samsung is one of the worst companies to deal with when it comes to RMA.

maybe the person was using them for that crypto mining that uses ssds
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6959 posts
4692 upvotes
SW ON
Try secure erase.
Apr 21, 2017
89 posts
148 upvotes
Edmonton
What did SMART say? (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
Could this be a result of Chia farming?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2009
1068 posts
542 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
I remember one trick that can sometimes get an SSD to be recognized is to plug in the power cable to the SSD, but not the SATA data cable and let it sit idle for an hour or so.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario
yingtsay wrote: What did SMART say? (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
Could this be a result of Chia farming?
Unfortunately I can't get that far. The one drive that does how up reports capacity/firmware/serial number but will not show any SMART data under any windows utility or in Gsmartcontrol in linux.

Samsung has been absolutely useless so far. I assumed it would be like with other companies that if you don't have the receipt they'll go strictly by serial number and date of manufacture. Instead samsung told me to deal with the retailer I bought it from, oh boy.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3772 posts
2454 upvotes
London
M1K3Z0R wrote: Unfortunately I can't get that far. The one drive that does how up reports capacity/firmware/serial number but will not show any SMART data under any windows utility or in Gsmartcontrol in linux.

Samsung has been absolutely useless so far. I assumed it would be like with other companies that if you don't have the receipt they'll go strictly by serial number and date of manufacture. Instead samsung told me to deal with the retailer I bought it from, oh boy.
try emailing [email protected] its some 3rd party company in the us that some people have had luck rmaing samsung drives though. if u try to rma directly though samsung they will just tell u to take it back to the store u bought it from apparently some people got a note from samsung and in that persons case they bought the drive from staples they took the drive and the note to staples and they gave them another drive.

i believe that company will ask u for the invoice though.

Samsung is an annoying company. they go out of there way to make fancy products with high end features to make people want to buy there products but then when it comes to c/s if u have a problem with the product u get bottom of the barrel support.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario
aaron158 wrote: try emailing [email protected] its some 3rd party company in the us that some people have had luck rmaing samsung drives though. if u try to rma directly though samsung they will just tell u to take it back to the store u bought it from apparently some people got a note from samsung and in that persons case they bought the drive from staples they took the drive and the note to staples and they gave them another drive.

i believe that company will ask u for the invoice though.

Samsung is an annoying company. they go out of there way to make fancy products with high end features to make people want to buy there products but then when it comes to c/s if u have a problem with the product u get bottom of the barrel support.
I just got off the phone with samsung and got the same run around, but they did send me a letter to show the retailer. It is really generic though, no model or serial numbers or any other ID code unique to my case or product. But the drives have been confirmed to be in warranty over the phone, so I'm good there.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3772 posts
2454 upvotes
London
M1K3Z0R wrote: I just got off the phone with samsung and got the same run around, but they did send me a letter to show the retailer. It is really generic though, no model or serial numbers or any other ID code unique to my case or product. But the drives have been confirmed to be in warranty over the phone, so I'm good there.
another problem is u gotta know what store the guy u got the drives off bought the drives at and that store maybe have a policy of no recite no exchange.
Apr 21, 2017
89 posts
148 upvotes
Edmonton
M1K3Z0R wrote: Unfortunately I can't get that far. The one drive that does how up reports capacity/firmware/serial number but will not show any SMART data under any windows utility or in Gsmartcontrol in linux.

Is it correct that you can't boot into bios/ boot under a different drive to look at the drive?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario
yingtsay wrote: Is it correct that you can't boot into bios/ boot under a different drive to look at the drive?
Yeah. One won't show up in the bios - it's as if it's not connected.

The other one will hang the boot process and eventually show up in the bios, correctly shows up as 500GB. If I use a liverun distro I can see the drive and firmware/serial volume info, but no smart data and can't format it, reports no password protection present. Putting it in a USB enclosure it will show up in disk management, but when I try to initialize the drive it throws a cyclic redundancy check error. Trying to run DBAN to start a wipe it stalls at 00.01% and crashes with non-fatal errors.

Tried the power connected only trick as mentioned in an earlier link, no luck. Tried hotplugging both, nothing. When it was in a USB enclosure I tried to use Samsung magician but it did not recognize it as a samsung SSD and did not see the firmware or serial, presumably because it's hooked up via USB. When I try to plug it in to another pc as a secondary drive, it hangs windows 10 startup (splash screen and spinning circle, HDD light stays on)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6959 posts
4692 upvotes
SW ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: Trying to run DBAN to start a wipe it stalls at 00.01% and crashes with non-fatal errors.
DBAN is for HDDs. It makes no sense to use it on SSDs. They don't have those physical sectors. SSDs use TRIM and secure erase.
M1K3Z0R wrote: When I try to plug it in to another pc as a secondary drive, it hangs windows 10 startup (splash screen and spinning circle, HDD light stays on)
Try hot-plugging it after Windows boots. Then try Magician to do secure erase.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario
alpovs wrote: DBAN is for HDDs. It makes no sense to use it on SSDs. They don't have those physical sectors. SSDs use TRIM and secure erase.

I know, just gave it a shot to see if it would be able to read/write to the drive

Try hot-plugging it after Windows boots. Then try Magician to do secure erase.
Tried that, Neither Magician nor windows picks it up. Windows and magician will see it if its connected through a USB enclosure... but can't format and magician cant see the serial number or SMART data
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6959 posts
4692 upvotes
SW ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: Tried that, Neither Magician nor windows picks it up. Windows and magician will see it if its connected through a USB enclosure... but can't format and magician cant see the serial number or SMART data
In my experience with working Samsung SSDs the Magician can't do anything unless the drive is connected directly to SATA, didn't work from USB enclosure. As a last resort, after hot plugging in Windows try going to Device Manager and click the "Scan for hardware changes" button. Maybe it will show up. SATA may not be "plug and play".
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7501 posts
4131 upvotes
Debtario
alpovs wrote: In my experience with working Samsung SSDs the Magician can't do anything unless the drive is connected directly to SATA, didn't work from USB enclosure. As a last resort, after hot plugging in Windows try going to Device Manager and click the "Scan for hardware changes" button. Maybe it will show up. SATA may not be "plug and play".
Thanks, I'll try again later tonight