Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22305 posts
169168 upvotes
GTA

Dead TV Remote - Options?

My TV remote seems to have died. I have tried changing out the batteries (thought that was the likely cause as indeed it has been quite a while since I changed them) and nothing seems to work. I have done a reset on the remote (Sony) to no avail. Tested for the remote sending an IR signal, and nothing. So I'm now looking at replacement options.

Never owned a Harmony or anything like that, but read that you have to have the original remote (and I assume working) - can someone who is in the know advise if that is true, or do they simply have a database of models you can choose from to emulate?

The other option is to just get a replacement of the same model, but with shipping, etc. I don't think it's that much more money to get an entry-level Harmony, that's why I was leaning in that direction, or, if there is yet another option I should consider, any input would be appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6006 posts
1301 upvotes
Montreal
You don't absolutely have to use the original remote to get a Harmony remote working. However, much depends on how complete your original remote's codes are in the Harmony database. What I can tell you is that, for my current setup, my Harmony did not have to learn any buttons from the original however I did have to teach my Harmony some buttons in the past.

One suggestion is to try the $4.00 remote from Dollarama. It may be good enough. We did that for a 25 year old Samsung TV when the remote died and it works perfectly.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22305 posts
169168 upvotes
GTA
Interesting - did not know Dollarama sells a remote - thanks, may give that a try. While the Harmony is not a ton of money, at the same time I don't exactly have a gazillion devices to control/a very complex setup, so it may be a bit overkill nonetheless.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1523 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
If your hardwares are old. No worries the Harmony remote will control them. How many devices you want to control ?

Logitech Harmony 665 is a great option if you don't want to go all in with the hub (being able to control your devices with your phone or a smart assistant).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4949 posts
1835 upvotes
Get a new TV. Plenty of pre-Black Friday deals at Visions, BestBuy and Costco now.

Then sell the old one.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4682 posts
4758 upvotes
Vancouver
How did you test for the remote sending an IR signal?

It's always good to have Harmony remote, but best to wait for a sale. If you aren't absolutely sure what's broken, a $4 remote is a simple low-risk option.