• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 2:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
944 posts
74 upvotes
London

Deadbolt Cylinder not turning all the way

I own a Baldwin handleset with the SmartKey feature; single cylinder deadbolt. The handlset is installed on an exterior metal door. The door used to operate fine but now when i go to turn the lock cylinder it isnt turning all the way.

Normally i insert the key with it facing upward, 12 o'clock position. I then turn it to about 6 o'clock to fully retract the deadbolt. What is happening now is i can turn it to only about 4 o'clock and then the key stops turning. I've tried other key copies but they too dont work.

Is this a problem with the lock cylinder or the deadbolt seriously rubbing against the striker? I've already tried graphite, pushing, pulling, and lifting the door via the handle.

Sadly the door is of a storage location with no other access so i have no way to remove the interior side thumbturn lever. I would appreciate any troubleshooting ideas.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10213 posts
5439 upvotes
Paris
This happened to us with a Weiser deadbolt. The deadbolt itself got “sticky” and wouldn’t turn with the electronic lock and then later the key. I replaced the deadbolt itself and problem solved. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the deadbolt is cooked just looking at it.
Aug 4, 2006
616 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
rosario99 wrote: I own a Baldwin handleset with the SmartKey feature; single cylinder deadbolt. The handlset is installed on an exterior metal door. The door used to operate fine but now when i go to turn the lock cylinder it isnt turning all the way.

Normally i insert the key with it facing upward, 12 o'clock position. I then turn it to about 6 o'clock to fully retract the deadbolt. What is happening now is i can turn it to only about 4 o'clock and then the key stops turning. I've tried other key copies but they too dont work.

Is this a problem with the lock cylinder or the deadbolt seriously rubbing against the striker? I've already tried graphite, pushing, pulling, and lifting the door via the handle.

Sadly the door is of a storage location with no other access so i have no way to remove the interior side thumbturn lever. I would appreciate any troubleshooting ideas.
What happens if you try to locking it when the door isn't shut? If it locks fully, then I would look at that the lock strike ... maybe you are correct - it's rubbing.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10182 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Tried hitting the key on its back while applying constant pressure (rotation)? Kinda like when attempting to bump a key, checkout videos on youtube
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
944 posts
74 upvotes
London
2flags wrote: What happens if you try to locking it when the door isn't shut? If it locks fully, then I would look at that the lock strike ... maybe you are correct - it's rubbing.
Sadly i am unable to open the door. It is currently in the locked, shut position and i have no way of getting to the interior side to do anything more. Basically i'm on the outside of a closed, locked door with a key that wont turn beyond 4 oclock.

I'll give the "bump" approach a shot.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10182 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Is this deadbolt exposed to the elements?
Mine had frozen due to moisture, alcohol helped a bit, then tried heating up the key with a lighter but eventually took out a butane torch to melt it back to life.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
944 posts
74 upvotes
London
Yes it is exposed to the elements. I've tried lock deicers and i've also tried turning it during out fluctating temperatures (up to 10'c). Still it refuses to turn beyond 4 oclock. Make no mistake the tumbler pins are lining up as i am able to turn the key beyond 1 oclock its just the cyclinder refuses to continue to rotate beyond 4 oclock. I did a quick test with another lock (i own 5 of these Baldwin handlesets) and it seems when the cylinder is turned to about 4 oclock that is when the deadbolt begins to retract. The issue could be a seized deadbolt mechanism or the deadbolt is seriously jammed in the striker. My hypothesis so far.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6842 upvotes
Brampton
Might not be the case here but issues with locks might mean someone has tampered with them.

The Kwikset/Weiser smartkey tumblers are notoriously easy to tamper with. Sometimes they work fine afterwards sometimes they fail outright or sometimes it takes a couple cycles before they fail.
Aug 4, 2006
616 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
rosario99 wrote: Yes it is exposed to the elements. I've tried lock deicers and i've also tried turning it during out fluctating temperatures (up to 10'c). Still it refuses to turn beyond 4 oclock. Make no mistake the tumbler pins are lining up as i am able to turn the key beyond 1 oclock its just the cyclinder refuses to continue to rotate beyond 4 oclock. I did a quick test with another lock (i own 5 of these Baldwin handlesets) and it seems when the cylinder is turned to about 4 oclock that is when the deadbolt begins to retract. The issue could be a seized deadbolt mechanism or the deadbolt is seriously jammed in the striker. My hypothesis so far.
Although my lock guy isn't a fan of WD40 as a tumbler lube ... he does use it to soak and clean out old locks. I would said as a last resort try to work in a healthy blast or 2 and work the lock mechanism. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4353 posts
3802 upvotes
Toronto
When you push and pull the door around the cylinder area, is there a tiny bit of movement between the cylinder and strike? There should be a little bit, but it's common to have the cylinder pressed hard against the strike because of too much weatherstripping around the door. The compressed weatherstripping is pushing the cylinder against the strike. So you need to compress the weatherstripping more to relieve the pressure holding the cylinder against the strike.

If this door opens outward and you're inside, then REALLY pull on the door handle WHILE turning the key at the same time. Push outwards and turn the key if the door swings inwards.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
944 posts
74 upvotes
London
jm1 wrote: When you push and pull the door around the cylinder area, is there a tiny bit of movement between the cylinder and strike? There should be a little bit, but it's common to have the cylinder pressed hard against the strike because of too much weatherstripping around the door. The compressed weatherstripping is pushing the cylinder against the strike. So you need to compress the weatherstripping more to relieve the pressure holding the cylinder against the strike.

If this door opens outward and you're inside, then REALLY pull on the door handle WHILE turning the key at the same time. Push outwards and turn the key if the door swings inwards.
I'll give this approach a try. For the record there is no movement when i pull/push door the last i tried.
Aug 4, 2006
616 posts
272 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
rosario99 wrote: I'll give this approach a try. For the record there is no movement when i pull/push door the last i tried.
Don't forget to turn the door knob first. To unlatch that part - easy to forget.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1366 posts
799 upvotes
ottawa
rosario99 wrote: I own a Baldwin handleset with the SmartKey feature; single cylinder deadbolt. The handlset is installed on an exterior metal door. The door used to operate fine but now when i go to turn the lock cylinder it isnt turning all the way.

OP,

I'm going to post this here because everyone in your roofing thread is dying to hear about what happened with that situation several years ago. Can you reply to that thread to ease everyone's apprehension? :O
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
944 posts
74 upvotes
London
barqers wrote: OP,

I'm going to post this here because everyone in your roofing thread is dying to hear about what happened with that situation several years ago. Can you reply to that thread to ease everyone's apprehension? :O
Oh really?! I will check it out. Thx