Request-A-Deal

Deal check on cell phone rate plan

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 8:48 pm

Poll: Deals any good?

• Total votes: 11. You have voted on this poll.
Great deals, get any one of them

9%
Ok deals compared to current non-corporate deals

18%
Not so good, consider waiting for better deals to come around

73%
Terrible deals, stay away

0%

Poll ended at Nov 6th, 2020 12:01 am

[OP]
Feb 3, 2011
6 posts
2 upvotes
Niagara Region

Deal check on cell phone rate plan

Hi RFD community,
Hoping to get some input regarding a corporate rate plan, is this any good?

$60 / month
- Bring your own device
- Unlimited Canada-wide call and text, call display, voicemail, call waiting
- 10 GB high speed internet, speed reduction after

There are other plans, see pic.

Leave comments in threat, and/or take poll.
Thanks for your input.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1041 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
Or browse the Hot Deals forums a bit. You should be able to do a lot better than $60 for 10GB.

Zoomer Wireless, for example, is $40.50 ($45 -10%) for a BYOP unlimited talk/text and 6GB. Sure it's not 10GB, but it's $20/month cheaper.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2011
6 posts
2 upvotes
Niagara Region
Thanks so much for this input!
I am a little skeptical of going with the smaller service providers because in the past their service area coverage was small and signals were poor. Has this changed?
It might also be worth mentioning that I live in Niagara Region, north shore.

Right now it seems I will be waiting for Black Friday to come around...
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1041 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
ttss wrote: Thanks so much for this input!
I am a little skeptical of going with the smaller service providers because in the past their service area coverage was small and signals were poor. Has this changed?
It might also be worth mentioning that I live in Niagara Region, north shore.

Right now it seems I will be waiting for Black Friday to come around...
Zoomer is owned by Rogers. They have the same coverage.

What do you define as "smaller" carriers? With a few exceptions (SSi, IrisTel, Freedom, a few others) all of them are owned by the Big 3 these days. SaskTel, of course, are on their own, but they have agreements with Bell. Similarly Videotron (and Fizz) with Rogers.

Bell = Virgin = Lucky Mobile
Rogers = Fido = chatr = Zoomer
Telus = Koodoo = Public Mobile

Freedom is the only "national" carrier where you might experience coverage issues.
Aug 1, 2010
7 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve been finding very similar corporate plans advertised on Facebook marketplace. I was considering a $60/20gb BYOD plan. They charge a $100-150 for activation which is much more than usual but still a substantial savings from the monthly charges Rogers is asking for if I upgrade my account directly through them.

I’m curious if anyone has any experience with these deals. Are they legit? Any issues you’ve experienced?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2589 posts
3402 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Dynatos wrote: Zoomer is owned by Rogers. They have the same coverage.

What do you define as "smaller" carriers? With a few exceptions (SSi, IrisTel, Freedom, a few others) all of them are owned by the Big 3 these days. SaskTel, of course, are on their own, but they have agreements with Bell. Similarly Videotron (and Fizz) with Rogers.

Bell = Virgin = Lucky Mobile
Rogers = Fido = chatr = Zoomer
Telus = Koodoo = Public Mobile

Freedom is the only "national" carrier where you might experience coverage issues.
Who owns Wind mobile?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2589 posts
3402 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Dynatos wrote: Shaw bought Wind a few years ago and re-branded it as Freedom.
Ah, yes. Sorry I know of thier new name but always somehow sometimes refer back to thier original name. So Shaw is the company backing Freedom Mobile then.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Nov 11, 2015
113 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I was just looking at the same thing. Check out if you have EPP with Telus i just got a BYOD 10GB plan for $56

Rogers was only offering the same at $60

*Ontario in case it matters*
Sep 12, 2020
22 posts
7 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Kiraly wrote: $60/month? Ugh. Go with Fido data-only plan, paired with Fongo VoIP app for voice calls and texts. $12.50/month for 4GB of data, unlimited Canada-wide voice calling and SMS.
Correct me, Fido data only plans are only for existing customers and Fongo doesn't offer free texting and requires monthly subscription.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9262 posts
10798 upvotes
Vancouver
RandomMember wrote: Correct me, Fido data only plans are only for existing customers and Fongo doesn't offer free texting and requires monthly subscription.
Correct.
  • You can become an existing Fido customer by signing up for their cheapest BYOD, no-contract plan. Then sign up for tablet plan, and then cancel original plan. $10/month.
  • Fongo texting costs $15 every 6 months for unlimited global SMS. So $2.50/month.
  • Total cost $12.50/month for unlimited Canada-wide voice calls, unlimited global SMS, and 4GB data.
  • It's true Fongo voice over IP is not as reliable as plain old cell service for voice calls. But is POCS five-times-the-price better? Maybe for some. But certainly not for me. I'll take VoIP over POCS to save 80%. Nearly everyone who still has home phone has ditched POTS for VoIP for the same reason. Not sure why this is so slow to catch on in the mobile world.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4242 posts
2530 upvotes
Gotham
RandomMember wrote: Correct me, Fido data only plans are only for existing customers and Fongo doesn't offer free texting and requires monthly subscription.
Go to a store and ask nicely and they might sell you a data plan on its own. Hundreds (thousands?) of RFDers have done so. I did this as a test a few years ago to see who would sell me a data plan without any other business. They said yes at serval locations including official Fido stores and kiosks.

I think Rogers/Fido do not really want to give this out on its own because when one realizes that this works and is so much cheaper, they'll never get a regular voice/text/data plan ever again. It is not that they won't do it but rather they highly discourage it because of lower revenue/profit. Rogers/Fido probably thinks getting $10 a month is better than getting no revenue at all should the customer find another carrier that will sell them a data plan.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3136 posts
1285 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: Correct.
  • You can become an existing Fido customer by signing up for their cheapest BYOD, no-contract plan. Then sign up for tablet plan, and then cancel original plan. $10/month.
  • Fongo texting costs $15 every 6 months for unlimited global SMS. So $2.50/month.
  • Total cost $12.50/month for unlimited Canada-wide voice calls, unlimited global SMS, and 4GB data.
  • It's true Fongo voice over IP is not as reliable as plain old cell service for voice calls. But is POCS five-times-the-price better? Maybe for some. But certainly not for me. I'll take VoIP over POCS to save 80%. Nearly everyone who still has home phone has ditched POTS for VoIP for the same reason. Not sure why this is so slow to catch on in the mobile world.
or even cheaper use Textnow. Both calls and texts are free.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2011
6 posts
2 upvotes
Niagara Region
Hmmm, this talk of data only plans can become a game changer, if one is comfortable with voip, etc.

One thing worth considering too is going to a store / kiosk with cash in hand (literally), and asking the what corporate plans they can put you on. I recall someone telling me about this a few years back, not sure if it still works or if its legal, etc. DYODD.