Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3126 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Deal Dead [Best Buy] Philips 40" 4k UHD Monitor $699 Again

It's back in stock and I just ordered one. Not showing in store for GTA and was OOS yesterday afternoon.

Philips 40" 4K UHD 60Hz 3ms GTG VA LED Monitor (BDM4065UC) - Silver/Black
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/phi ... a5f8eeen02

22 in stock as of this edit.
15 as of 12:56PM
Sold out and $799 now
34 replies
Jun 29, 2005
231 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
We picked up like 10 of these for work last time the sale was on. Pretty solid monitor.

Only big complaint is the time it takes the monitor to switch from power saving mode to displaying an image. Not sure if it's a Macbook specific thing or not though.
Aug 8, 2006
77 posts
10 upvotes
I really wish I had a valid excuse to get this monitor and replace the current one I have.
Oct 22, 2014
35 posts
14 upvotes
Laval, QC
Tried the monitor for 2 days. Had a terrible headache after 2 hours.
Nov 16, 2008
301 posts
139 upvotes
piranhaa wrote: We picked up like 10 of these for work last time the sale was on. Pretty solid monitor.

Only big complaint is the time it takes the monitor to switch from power saving mode to displaying an image. Not sure if it's a Macbook specific thing or not though.
It's not... happens to me as well (PC).. it seems like it has an issue getting the initial sync so it take a little for the picture to come up.

Otherwise this monitor has been fantastic for me, got it on the last sale.
Oct 17, 2006
645 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
if my laptops max resolution is 2560 x 1600 will it looks strange on the screen or does it scale nicely?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2007
3798 posts
770 upvotes
ON
LunaticCalm wrote: Tried the monitor for 2 days. Had a terrible headache after 2 hours.
maybe because of PWM it uses
Aug 8, 2006
77 posts
10 upvotes
LunaticCalm wrote: Tried the monitor for 2 days. Had a terrible headache after 2 hours.
Did you try Advil?
Jun 29, 2005
231 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
Some graphic cards can only run 4K@30Hz. Or basically any video card using the HDMI cable. You need a Display Port 1.2 capable card to get 4K@60Hz. I wonder if it has to do with that.
Aug 13, 2012
60 posts
10 upvotes
piranhaa wrote: Some graphic cards can only run 4K@30Hz. Or basically any video card using the HDMI cable. You need a Display Port 1.2 capable card to get 4K@60Hz. I wonder if it has to do with that.
It flickers at less than 100% brightness. Documented isssue
Oct 22, 2014
35 posts
14 upvotes
Laval, QC
ppnndd wrote: maybe because of PWM it uses
Probably. Also my desk is not appropriate for a monitor with no height adjustment. I went for the dell u3415w instead.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1197 posts
685 upvotes
Ahtusavis wrote: I'm not a gamer. Is this monitor good for photo and video edit?
40" too big.

What about Dell 32" and 28 " 4K & 5K UltraHD Monitors?
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/categor ... 0&~ck=anav

Which one good 4K TV? Panasonic or LG?
Dell 4K Tv:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/categor ... s&~ck=anav
This is a va panel. You want an ips display. Color reproduction is more accurate. The dell ones are better for photo editing. There's an ips variant of this monitor it's like 1199 though and 43 inches. But yeah you're better off going with an asus proart series or any dell ultrasharps with premier color
Jun 29, 2005
231 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
therishisharma wrote: It flickers at less than 100% brightness. Documented isssue
Huh.. Strange. I've been using mine ~80% brightness for months and none of us notice a flicker here.. Dropped it down even lower, without any flicker either.
Nov 25, 2007
272 posts
190 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
piranhaa wrote: Huh.. Strange. I've been using mine ~80% brightness for months and none of us notice a flicker here.. Dropped it down even lower, without any flicker either.
PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) which this Philips and many other monitors use is a method to dim brightness and doesn't effect most people.

Those who are affected often experience headaches and my suspicion is that a monitor of this size would really exacerbate the condition.

For the record, I do have this Philips monitor running at 62% brightness and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Overall, this monitor is awesome and you do get use to the size which would make "downsizing" down the road hard, heh.

My typical usage is multi-windowed apps, web browsing, online gaming and watching shows on Kodi.

The only thing that I would love to have on this monitor is Freesync but I'm still very happy with it!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1030 posts
198 upvotes
chewysc wrote: PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) which this Philips and many other monitors use is a method to dim brightness and doesn't effect most people.

Those who are affected often experience headaches and my suspicion is that a monitor of this size would really exacerbate the condition.

For the record, I do have this Philips monitor running at 62% brightness and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Overall, this monitor is awesome and you do get use to the size which would make "downsizing" down the road hard, heh.

My typical usage is multi-windowed apps, web browsing, online gaming and watching shows on Kodi.

The only thing that I would love to have on this monitor is Freesync but I'm still very happy with it!
Thank you for explaining PWM, I was trying to Google it ;p
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4511 posts
6120 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Man, I've been eyeing this for a while, but I don't think the 40"4k can replace my 2 27" 1440p ips displays, which I know have no issues. They cost a bit more together, but the extra width is more valuable to me. Is anyone else in the same situation?

My gtx 680 can't handle any gaming at 4k anyhow.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1030 posts
198 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Man, I've been eyeing this for a while, but I don't think the 40"4k can replace my 2 27" 1440p ips displays, which I know have no issues. They cost a bit more together, but the extra width is more valuable to me. Is anyone else in the same situation?

My gtx 680 can't handle any gaming at 4k anyhow.
I'm replacing a 28" 4K Acer, 27" IPS and 24" with this 40" 4K. I have a 290X that can handle 4K gaming though; I don't do first person shooters. Dota, Diablo, Heroes of Storm type games.