Automotive

Deal signed - but now dealer "can't find car"..now what?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2020 1:50 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2003
330 posts
204 upvotes
GTA

Deal signed - but now dealer "can't find car"..now what?

So purchased a new lease from a dealer to replace our existing lease. (same model and brand for both replacement and current lease)

so now the dealer says they are having a hard time finding the new lease and our existing lease expired 5-6 days ago. Dealer says that we can continue to drive for as long as they take to find the new car.

Any issues with this situation?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27752 posts
12828 upvotes
Toronto
Does it mean you don’t have to pay for the expired lease payment ? If so, it sounds like a good goodwill gesture by the dealer.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10981 posts
7337 upvotes
GTA, ON
Was the car on the lot when you signed the papers?

Odd....
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 20, 2015
583 posts
148 upvotes
Place
Just ensure you won’t be paying extras when you surrender your current lease to them. (More wear and tear)
Good luck!
Jan 16, 2017
38 posts
14 upvotes
This happened to me with my last truck lease. I ended up about 6-weeks over my lease end date. There was no cost to me, as the dealer was buying my vehicle since market value was much higher than residual (I bought it out, then traded it back to the dealer to recover some of the equity).

I would check with your dealer, but my guess would be no additional cost to you.
Feb 17, 2015
734 posts
818 upvotes
Canada
Dealer sold your car to another customer for more profit.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4590 posts
1573 upvotes
Or they were going to look for one from another dealer and have not found a dealership to trade with.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
[OP]
May 12, 2003
330 posts
204 upvotes
GTA
So yes. They had told us the car is available at their sister dealership. Next day the sales person called us and told is "oh they sold it without putting it in the system"

So now they are trying to locate one from a different dealership.

Yes, apparently no cost to us for the older car, but just wanted to make sure there would be no issues.
Dec 27, 2006
418 posts
204 upvotes
Canada
Just make sure the dealer is agreeing to continue making the payments on the lease. Get in touch with the leasing company to see if it's even possible to extend your lease.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1072 posts
1181 upvotes
Who's paying for the lease now? If the dealer is paying for your current lease, PAST the return date, sure wait for another car. If the dealer doesn't, I would cancel the deal than. Ask them to throw in some extra stuff or take couple hundred dollars off.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2642 posts
1148 upvotes
Calgary
mario-rock wrote: Just make sure the dealer is agreeing to continue making the payments on the lease. Get in touch with the leasing company to see if it's even possible to extend your lease.
simplypop wrote: Who's paying for the lease now? If the dealer is paying for your current lease, PAST the return date, sure wait for another car. If the dealer doesn't, I would cancel the deal than. Ask them to throw in some extra stuff or take couple hundred dollars off.
There is no lease. Lease ended 5-6 days ago as per OPs first post. He is continuing to drive the car because most likely the dealer bought the car from the lease company when the lease ended and as a courtesy is letting the OP drive it while they get his new car in. This isn't that uncommon. It's no different than them letting someone drive one of their loaner cars.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4603 posts
3146 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
It's pretty much like he is now driving the dealership's "loaner car". Don't see any bad faith with the dealer, they are most likely trying their best to source you a car as they don't want you to walk.

One thing you want to clarify though is if you would be on the hook for any payments or extra cost if you were to cancel the deal.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Dec 27, 2006
418 posts
204 upvotes
Canada
aleks wrote: There is no lease. Lease ended 5-6 days ago as per OPs first post. He is continuing to drive the car because most likely the dealer bought the car from the lease company when the lease ended and as a courtesy is letting the OP drive it while they get his new car in. This isn't that uncommon. It's no different than them letting someone drive one of their loaner cars.
There is no guarantee that the dealer bought out the car though. If he hasn't returned the car and it's already past maturity then he could be liable for extra payments or even fees.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4354 posts
2015 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: It's pretty much like he is now driving the dealership's "loaner car". Don't see any bad faith with the dealer, they are most likely trying their best to source you a car as they don't want you to walk.

One thing you want to clarify though is if you would be on the hook for any payments or extra cost if you were to cancel the deal.
Another thing you might want to clarify is what happens if the vehicle is involved in an accident?
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5137 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote: Another thing you might want to clarify is what happens if the vehicle is involved in an accident?
Nothing changed for his insurance unless he already changed it to the new car.

He would continue to insure the same cat without interruption until change to the new car.