• Jun 3rd, 2021 12:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7088 posts
3932 upvotes
Ottawa

Dealer auction broker review - caromoto.com

In case anyone is curious, I purchased a car from dealer auction through a company called Caromoto (www.caromoto.com)

I strongly encourage you to do your own due diligence but it worked well for me.

I was curious about buying a car at dealer auction so did some research. There are a bunch of companies that claim to offer buying services but for some reason I ended up going with Caromoto. Their website is pretty terrible which made me a bit suspicious but I talked to them and they seemed legit so I decided to give it a try. You can sign up for free but if you want to bid you have to make a deposit.

The biggest advice is that you do have to proceed with caution. You get some info (although it varies a lot from listing to listing). Some vehicles are eligible for inspection after but I believe the conditions are pretty strict.

I had the car shipped to the US-Canada border so it didn't matter to me but I believe they broker might require you to export the vehicle from the US so double check with them if you want to pick up the vehicle in the US.
8 replies
Nov 22, 2016
82 posts
117 upvotes
I've been looking for awhile to buy from them, but have been hesitant. Could you pm me your experience with them?
Jun 21, 2012
132 posts
126 upvotes
Brampton
Bobo2408 wrote: I've been looking for awhile to buy from them, but have been hesitant. Could you pm me your experience with them?
so did you buy with Carmoto?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2306 posts
501 upvotes
Can you share more specific information with your experiences? What car did you get and what were local dealers asking vs what you paid? Any issues that you encounter and timeline involved between auction closing to getting the car in your hands?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3730 posts
1991 upvotes
Ontario
I've bought a couple of auction cars.

Go with a company that has been doing it for several years, at minimum.

Watch a couple of auctions happen before bidding on anything to get an idea of how it works, what vehicles will generally go for, etc.

Make peace with the idea that you may get a good deal but you may also get a bad deal. Know that if you're buying a salvage car, there's a very good chance that the insurance company has already determined the cost to fix is more than the car's value when repaired. Of course, if you're good with repairs then you might get a car that you can fix at a fraction of the value.

As with all auctions, don't get emotionally attached to having the item and set a maximum, beforehand, of what you're will to pay and don't go over. Be patient. If you're ever unsure, don't bid. (I don't always follow my own auction advice, but most times I do).

I will have to watch this carmoto, see what comes up. The auction companies it links to are mostly salvage and many of their cars have significant damage.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7088 posts
3932 upvotes
Ottawa
baymoe wrote: Can you share more specific information with your experiences? What car did you get and what were local dealers asking vs what you paid? Any issues that you encounter and timeline involved between auction closing to getting the car in your hands?
Sorry I took so long to reply (I didn't see the question until today).

I purchased a 2016 Nissan LEAF SL. I paid much less ($5000USD) than it would be sold locally BUT it was not perfect. It was a former taxi (which I knew) and it was in good shape and had reasonable mileage (about 65k km for a 3.5 yr old car) but I hadn't realized that it had been repainted and the paint job was not very good (some listings have very good information, others (like this one) don't). But given the price, I feel it was still worth it (The paint isn't perfect but it doesn't really bother me and it was probably more than half what I would have paid for a comparable car in Canada).

In my case it took a very long time because when I purchased it, they didn't have the title yet (usually they do but it does happen that they don't) and it took them about 2-3 weeks to get it. Then it took another week or 2 to ship the car to a place near the US-Canada border. The delays had some pretty serious consequences in that I bought the car in early March 2020 but by the time it was at the border, it was the end of March 2020 and the border was closed to non-essential travel because of COVID. The car stayed in storage there for 3 months until I had to fly to the US for unrelated reasons but once in the US, I was able to go get it and then import it as any other time.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3141 posts
1494 upvotes
That's a great honest, and informative review. Thumbsup, OP.
Oct 22, 2006
322 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to bump an older thread. Are there car dealers out there that are willing to help with a purchase through Adessa?
Nov 24, 2012
177 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
avk wrote: Sorry to bump an older thread. Are there car dealers out there that are willing to help with a purchase through Adessa?
I was trying to find the same information last year and came across a few: flexautogroup in Brampton, Carzatcost in Kitchener to name some. Additionally some mechanics have Adessa license too so it may not hurt to ask them. In terms of pricing, flexautogroup has a tiered pricing (such as: $1,200 on top of adessa price for a vehicle up to $30,000), the mechanic I talked to wanted $500 + towing cost + safety fee. Carzatcost had an all in cost that they want you to agree on before they find a vehicle for you.

I ended up finding nothing interesting after watching Adessa inventory for few months as most auctions were either suspended OR the vehicles were selling at close to retail prices. I assume a similar situation exists even now.