None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2759 upvotes
Montreal

Dealer or body shop?

Was careless today, backed the car a bit too fast and hit a fence post.
Broke the plastic cover from one of my tail headlight.

Was wondering if it's better to go with the dealer to have it fixed or go to any auto body shop (non OEM parts). Cost wise, is the dealer always more expensive?
Paying out of my pocket of course...
15 replies
Sep 21, 2008
245 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
Go somewhere where they won't report to Carproof for the body damage. Your car value will erode twice the cost of bumper repair.

If it's just bumper, just buy it and then get it painted and installed through a small body shop.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2759 upvotes
Montreal
rendezvous wrote: Go somewhere where they won't report to Carproof for the body damage. Your car value will erode twice the cost of bumper repair.

If it's just bumper, just buy it and then get it painted and installed through a small body shop.
dealers automatically report to Carproof? Less chances with small independent shops?

No damage on bumper, it's only the plastic cover of the tail light that is cracked.
Apr 25, 2016
144 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Not all dealerships have their own bodyshop, so they take the vehicle to a bodyshop/ independent shop whom their partnered with. Therefore going through the dealership will most probably be more expensive.

For example, when our van's windshield needed to be replaced, the dealership (which doesn't have their own bodyshop) said it would cost $850 but if we took to their trusted independent shop it would be cheaper. When I called them, they quoted $350 for the same windshield (just no Honda stamp).

It would be best to use an OEM part so the plastic cover will fit properly.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1454 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa
If you only need to replace a tail light cover, I would assume it will be cheaper to just go to the dealer. Strictly speaking that isn't really body work. If you go to a body shop the shop rate will be much more expensive.

For the record, you can request any body shop to use OEM parts. You don't have to go to a dealer for that.
Jul 25, 2015
708 posts
365 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Or just buy the light and install it yourself. Shouldn't be that hard. You save a bit on the labor.
Feb 11, 2016
52 posts
5 upvotes
tail lights are very easy to install shouldnt take you more than 30 mins, you should be able to buy a tailoight from the wreckers or aftermarket from a parts store
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2759 upvotes
Montreal
Zephyr00 wrote: tail lights are very easy to install shouldnt take you more than 30 mins, you should be able to buy a tailoight from the wreckers or aftermarket from a parts store
If I want OEM parts, wil the dealer sell it to me without doing work with them?

I have a Sonata Hybrid 2015, and pretty sure it would be hard to find a tail light cover from wreckers.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14001 posts
8104 upvotes
Toronto
Piklishi wrote: Or just buy the light and install it yourself. Shouldn't be that hard. You save a bit on the labor.
this
Madevilz wrote: If I want OEM parts, wil the dealer sell it to me without doing work with them?
yes, go to the parts department counter
Feb 11, 2016
52 posts
5 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: If I want OEM parts, wil the dealer sell it to me without doing work with them?

I have a Sonata Hybrid 2015, and pretty sure it would be hard to find a tail light cover from wreckers.
Yes they will, you can always ask for a discount usuaully works. You would be surprised the wreckers have 2016+ parts. use car-parts.com should be able to source you the part you need really fast and there should be aftermarket for that lught if not mistaken. Being a sonata install should be very easy
Jun 11, 2010
133 posts
101 upvotes
Halifax
it's gonna be very expensive going to a dealer to get the light as apposed to a salvage yard or something. check ebay or kijiji for a light as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16791 posts
9569 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would go to an auto wrecker/junkyard and get a used part - just tell them the make/model/year and they should be able to tell you if they have the car in stock. If you remove it yourself, you'll typically get a lower price.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6796 posts
2759 upvotes
Montreal
craftsman wrote: I would go to an auto wrecker/junkyard and get a used part - just tell them the make/model/year and they should be able to tell you if they have the car in stock. If you remove it yourself, you'll typically get a lower price.
I'll start looking...the tail light still works fine, only the plastic cover is broken, do I need to change the whole thing, or can the plastic cover be detached from the light?

I'm really not handy and bet I'll have trouble installing it lol let's say for some reason I am unable to install it myself. Will shops or dealers do it for me if I bring them the parts myself?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
i'd shop around. go to the dealer first, in person. if you bought the car, ask for a discount after they give you the price.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16791 posts
9569 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Madevilz wrote: I'll start looking...the tail light still works fine, only the plastic cover is broken, do I need to change the whole thing, or can the plastic cover be detached from the light?
Typically, you need to replace the whole thing as the plastic cover and the lenses behind it are one assembly.
Madevilz wrote: I'm really not handy and bet I'll have trouble installing it lol let's say for some reason I am unable to install it myself. Will shops or dealers do it for me if I bring them the parts myself?
Some will, some won't since they didn't supply the part and they don't want you to come back to them for any issues.

What make/model/year of car is it? You may be able to find some diagrams online on how they are assembled. Typically, it's 2 to 4 screws and the whole assembly will pop out. You might be able to get auto wreckers to show you how when they pop off the part.