Dealer didn't report lease return

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2019 11:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
4 posts
23 upvotes

Dealer didn't report lease return

My Acura lease was ending at the end of October, so in mid-October, I went back to the original dealer to return the car. I had signed some papers BUT I don't remember if they even gave me a copy or I lost it. Either way, I have no proof that I gave back the car, other than the dealer's records (my bad, I know). Anyways, last week I got a letter from Acura Financial and it said my car was listed as overterm and they want me to pay for the month of November. I got Acura Financial to speak with the lease manager I returned the car to, and they said it would be dealt with that day. Well, it's been over a week and my car is still listed as unreturned... I sent the lease manager an email and I'm still waiting for a response.

Has this happened to anyone before? Am I screwed? :(
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4699 posts
1676 upvotes
Didn't they do an inspection when you returned it? Is it still on their lot?
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Jul 12, 2013
231 posts
151 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
burritos wrote: My Acura lease was ending at the end of October, so in mid-October, I went back to the original dealer to return the car. I had signed some papers BUT I don't remember if they even gave me a copy or I lost it. Either way, I have no proof that I gave back the car, other than the dealer's records (my bad, I know). Anyways, last week I got a letter from Acura Financial and it said my car was listed as overterm and they want me to pay for the month of November. I got Acura Financial to speak with the lease manager I returned the car to, and they said it would be dealt with that day. Well, it's been over a week and my car is still listed as unreturned... I sent the lease manager an email and I'm still waiting for a response.

Has this happened to anyone before? Am I screwed? :(
You should be fine. Maybe give them a call next week to follow up on this? Sounds like just an error or disconnect somewhere. You returned it and signed paperwork. I cannot imagine a dealer would lie about this and pretend you did not return it.

I was worse. I don't remember ever signed anything when I returned mine...... I think I just handed the keys.

Don't worry about this. Try them again next week.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25354 posts
4473 upvotes
Call the dealer instead of waiting for emails
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes
GTA is a serious crime. I'd get to work learning self-defense for prison. Maybe get some tattoos for street cred. You're going away for a long, long time.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1631 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
File went into a desk & was forgotten until Honda FS calls looking for it.

Dealer will end up eating to late fee.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Nov 27, 2014
4 posts
23 upvotes
jcon wrote: Didn't they do an inspection when you returned it? Is it still on their lot?
I had lease guard so they said it wasn't necessary. I have no idea where the car is physically now.
Shaner wrote: Call the dealer instead of waiting for emails
Went straight to voicemail...I think the guy is on vacation :b

Thanks for the responses everyone. It was my first time leasing a car so I had no idea what to expect. Guess I'll just wait it out or go down for GTA Face With Tears Of Joy