Dealer Fees when purchasing lease buyout

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 8:46 am
Jun 19, 2019
75 posts
10 upvotes

Dealer Fees when purchasing lease buyout

Hi guys,

I’m buying out my currently leased vehicle. The dealership requires a safety, which I’m happy to do at a licensed mechanic - but will only transfer the vehicle to my name as unfit and unplated if I don’t go through their mechanics. A safety is my area is about $85 and the dealer is asking $150.

1. Is what they’re doing allowed? Do they have any legal obligation to transfer as fit and plated if I have a valid safety?
2. What do I bring to service Ontario once I receive the ownership in my name and have a valid safety to get it fit and plated? Is there anything I need to have a copy of prior to switching over names? If the vehicle has physical plates and is registered and insured, can I drive the vehicle to a service Ontario while unfit and unplated?
3. Are there any typical lease buyout / admin fees I need to be aware of?

Thanks all!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Why don't you go get it saftied now?
The cert is good for at least a month.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2009
5162 posts
1253 upvotes
Caledon
Is your time now worth $65 to get them to do it all? Do you really want to go to service Ontario and line up?
[removed external advertising links]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lease buyout fees depend on the brand/dealership. A friend of mine who is always leasing said its usually a couple hundred $ for them to do the paperwork.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed with Alex. Yes, what the dealership is doing is correct. You are buying a used car. And their fee is in line with most business that perform safety. There normally will also be admin fees. It should be listed in your lease paperword.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1283 posts
114 upvotes
Yeah, a lot of dealers will insist that you do it through them. $150 is cheap compared to other places.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)