Automotive

Dealer service cost for 2018 Camry

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 2:03 pm
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto

Dealer service cost for 2018 Camry

I just got my 2nd scheduled service at a Toyota dealership recently and noticed that the price a little high from my experience with the previous vehicle I owned. Is this the standard rate for the new cars nowadays, especially for new Toyota Camrys?

1st service (8 km or 6 months) - approx $68
2nd service (16 km or 12 months) - approx $138
13 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14614 posts
8999 upvotes
Toronto
Outside of the obvious 1st service is only an oil change, perhaps your 2nd service is not only an oil change, but glorified look at your brake pads, top of up fluids, change of cabin air filter. My subaru 2nd service or service B is about $450 from the dealer and I can either do it myself for cheap or I can go to another place that will do it, but it will be more expensive than what I can do and cheaper than the dealer. Average oil change I think it about $80.

Since it's a new car, were you already aware of the costs associated with a new car? Did you buy your previous vehicle new? How old was your previous vehicle? It's all relative, semi-synthetic vs dino oil, etc...

Try an independent dealer if you think it's pricy. Mr. Lube even. It's only a $138...

Your thread is going to get thumbed down into oblivion.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3114 posts
3046 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
At least post what is included. Independent shop will always be cheaper than a dealership, but how can we compare costs with your previous car when we don't know what that car?

First is probably oil change, 2nd is oil change and air filters and 1000 point inspection if i had to guess.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6878 posts
5787 upvotes
Burlington
showmethemoney2009 wrote: I just got my 2nd scheduled service at a Toyota dealership recently and noticed that the price a little high from my experience with the previous vehicle I owned. Is this the standard rate for the new cars nowadays, especially for new Toyota Camrys?

1st service (8 km or 6 months) - approx $68
2nd service (16 km or 12 months) - approx $138
From your experience(s), did all previous services cost the same?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Service #2
Check installation of driver's floor mat.
Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.
Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation. 1
Visually inspect drive belts.
Replace engine oil & filter (synthetic 0W16).
Lubricate locks, latches and hinges.
Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and washer fluid.
Remove & inspect engine air filter. 2
Remove & inspect cabin air filter. 3
Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over. 4
Inspect differential and transfer case vents for obstruction.
Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14614 posts
8999 upvotes
Toronto
^ lol, I had to look it up to see if you were serious about the drivers mat... No future sudden unintended acceleration! And if it was a Corolla, no acceleration!
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Newbie
User avatar
May 12, 2015
15 posts
12 upvotes
The 1st service is a bit pricy as it doesn't include oil change, visual inspection of various components and tire rotation.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
apk888 wrote: The 1st service is a bit pricy as it doesn't include oil change, visual inspection of various components and tire rotation.
Yes, you're correct. There was no oil change on the first service, just inspections.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Outside of the obvious 1st service is only an oil change, perhaps your 2nd service is not only an oil change, but glorified look at your brake pads, top of up fluids, change of cabin air filter. My subaru 2nd service or service B is about $450 from the dealer and I can either do it myself for cheap or I can go to another place that will do it, but it will be more expensive than what I can do and cheaper than the dealer. Average oil change I think it about $80.

Since it's a new car, were you already aware of the costs associated with a new car? Did you buy your previous vehicle new? How old was your previous vehicle? It's all relative, semi-synthetic vs dino oil, etc...

Try an independent dealer if you think it's pricy. Mr. Lube even. It's only a $138...

Your thread is going to get thumbed down into oblivion.
1st service was just visual inspections. 2nd was an oil change (synthetic). The cost of service on my old Mazda was less than half of this. I'm guessing by your comment about the downvote that there's a lot luxury car owners who spends a lot more than this and I shouldn't be complaining?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1840 posts
1354 upvotes
GTA West
One thing to watch out for at the scheduled service intervals is the cabin air filter, and ask to exclude it. The deal whacks you for something like $100 + for a filter you can easily change yourself behind the glove compartment. I just did mine for the cost of a $32 name brand filter.
Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2017
200 posts
173 upvotes
showmethemoney2009 wrote: I just got my 2nd scheduled service at a Toyota dealership recently and noticed that the price a little high from my experience with the previous vehicle I owned. Is this the standard rate for the new cars nowadays, especially for new Toyota Camrys?

1st service (8 km or 6 months) - approx $68
2nd service (16 km or 12 months) - approx $138
FYI, my experience with a 2017 Camry has been:

Service #1: $69.95 + Tax
Service #2: $89.95 + Tax
Service #3: $148.00 + Tax
Supply and install of OEM cabin air filter: $32.95 + Tax
Sr. Member
Oct 21, 2006
635 posts
396 upvotes
op if it's my 2018 camry with 16k km, I would get a $50 synthetic oil change at costco and change the cabin air filter myself. As someone above has mentioned, that filter cost about $30 at most autoparts stores and it takes 10 minutes or less to replace.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
465 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
Jigsaw wrote: op if it's my 2018 camry with 16k km, I would get a $50 synthetic oil change at costco and change the cabin air filter myself. As someone above has mentioned, that filter cost about $30 at most autoparts stores and it takes 10 minutes or less to replace.
They're giving me the 'get it serviced here while it's under warranty' line.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
showmethemoney2009 wrote: They're giving me the 'get it serviced here while it's under warranty' line.
Of course they are, they don't want to lose the money from it. You can go wherever you want to get oil changes done, just hold onto the receipts. You can even do it yourself, just keep the receipts for the materials.

Top