Automotive

Dealers not providing loaners? Is this a new Covid thing?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 7:18 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes

Dealers not providing loaners? Is this a new Covid thing?

So the Kia dealer I normally go to for service, the entire staff changed from knowledgeable friendly helpful to.......less than.

My Niro had a serious issue while on the highway, loss of EV power so it had to run on the gas engine (100hp....pulling a 3300lb vehicle...). I've brought in my Niro before for recall work and it was always a big deal, overnight as the tech does quite a bit of diagnostic work since half the car is computerized magical hybrid powers.

I contacted dealer and requested a loaner, they said no loaners and never did, go to another dealer for service.

Are dealers not providing loaner car service anymore for COVID reasons?
36 replies
Feb 10, 2008
616 posts
484 upvotes
bhrm wrote: So the Kia dealer I normally go to for service, the entire staff changed from knowledgeable friendly helpful to.......less than.

My Niro had a serious issue while on the highway, loss of EV power so it had to run on the gas engine (100hp....pulling a 3300lb vehicle...). I've brought in my Niro before for recall work and it was always a big deal, overnight as the tech does quite a bit of diagnostic work since half the car is computerized magical hybrid powers.

I contacted dealer and requested a loaner, they said no loaners and never did, go to another dealer for service.

Are dealers not providing loaner car service anymore for COVID reasons?
No the dealer is not providing loaner service for monetary reasons.
Jan 12, 2010
779 posts
221 upvotes
It's up to the dealer. I went in for service at DV Lexus, and they gave me a free loaner for the entire day.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4585 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
I didn't think any of the non premium brand dealers ever offered loaners, did they? I'm sure they'd be happy to rent you a vehicle though.

Even some of the premium brands are now doing away with loaners.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
Kia have us a loaner when it was in for warranty work.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1542 posts
859 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: I didn't think any of the non premium brand dealers ever offered loaners, did they? I'm sure they'd be happy to rent you a vehicle though.

Even some of the premium brands are now doing away with loaners.
My Honda dealership provided me a loaner when I had to leave my car. But they only have so many loaners available, and it's first come first serve.
Feb 10, 2008
616 posts
484 upvotes
Both the BMW and Audi dealerships in Markham and Richmond Hill stopped offering loaners even for warranty work that required our car overnight or multiple days.

However, they were both more than happy to charge me $20-$25 for a rental (Corolla or Hyundai) or $40 for a same brand loaner.

The only BMW dealer around the GTA that still offers loaners for free is Durham BMW (formerly Endras) from what I gather after calling around since I needed some warranty work that would take more than a day to be completed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Jeep dealership I deal with still providing loaners... Well its a Hertz rental counter, they pay for the loaner and you pay for the insurance if you want it.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3144 posts
2526 upvotes
I'd imagine this is a thing of the past. We used to have people paid to bag our groceries as well, and now we're even checking ourselves out. Full service gas stations were the norm, we pay to bring luggage with us on airplanes and pay for the in flight movies now. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. It's our own fault, we demand the lowest possible prices, and expect the highest return on our market investments. We're the shareholders of these companies.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9187 posts
8433 upvotes
My dealer is the opposite. Before COVID, only overnight work or scheduled maintenance with a month+ notice/booking get loaners. Otherwise shuttles only.

After COVID, shuttles are benched (obvious reason), everyone get loaners.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
tim-x wrote: I'd imagine this is a thing of the past. We used to have people paid to bag our groceries as well, and now we're even checking ourselves out. Full service gas stations were the norm, we pay to bring luggage with us on airplanes and pay for the in flight movies now. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. It's our own fault, we demand the lowest possible prices, and expect the highest return on our market investments. We're the shareholders of these companies.
There will always be brands that cater to more high end customers. Maybe the hyundai dealership will do away with the accent loaner fleet but the Acura / Lexus / Porsche dealers will still have something available if needed. Actually my neighbour had to take his brand new GMC in for warranty work recently and was given a Cadillac CT5 as a loaner but this is the 6th or 7th brand new car he has bought from the same dealer over the years...
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3144 posts
2526 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: There will always be brands that cater to more high end customers. Maybe the hyundai dealership will do away with the accent loaner fleet but the Acura / Lexus / Porsche dealers will still have something available if needed. Actually my neighbour had to take his brand new GMC in for warranty work recently and was given a Cadillac CT5 as a loaner but this is the 6th or 7th brand new car he has bought from the same dealer over the years...
Yes for sure. I went into a Gucci store to look for a suit and I was offered a scotch. But the cost of that is built in to their product obviously. I remember as a kid we used to get loaners from Toyota and Mazda. Maybe some dealerships offer them to certain customers but again, it depends on where you are and what the product is. Smaller volume dealerships in small communities often have large markups and cater more to the "service" oriented customer. But even now with social media marketing, people are traveling farther to buy vehicles because they realize they can save thousands at the cost of a day trip. As the customer becomes more savvy, they have to adjust their strategies and cut frills in order to compete.
Jul 29, 2019
824 posts
678 upvotes
It also depends. Given the high demand and low supply of cars, it may be because your dealer just doesn't have any car that hasn't been sold or rather sell the car than have a loaner sitting around.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1642 posts
2387 upvotes
Victoria
I don't think it's necessarily brand-related.
Each dealership will set their own policies. My Kia dealership will provide a loaner even for routine service work, if available and preferable to the client to taxi vouchers or a bike loaner. Maybe not Service A (oil change), but the others for sure. They don't always have one available, but you can schedule your appointment around when they do.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
M-B Markham gave me a C300 for a warranty related work few months ago, I finish work late and they were ok for me to return the car next day.
Car was sanitized and provided another individually packed wipe.

I think it is the dealership who decide if a loan will be given or not or maybe they runs out of loaner if that was a last minute booking.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Aug 14, 2011
409 posts
151 upvotes
Calgary
Did you purchase the extended warranty for your vehicle? Extended warranty allows for a loaner car.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
Forgot to add, when I brought it in for recall work that took days they gave me a loaner. A Sportage actually.

Same dealer!

Now this service rep is turning away business because they don't do loaners. Most likely the work is warranty related they can bill back to corporate for at least a thousand, just like the recall work.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1018 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Kia have us a loaner when it was in for warranty work.
Which Kia dealership and what vehicle was in for warranty work?
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6683 posts
4247 upvotes
Toronto
Normal business for mb. I always make a month in advance for warranty work to be sure to get a loaner. But last month they said there is appointment with loaner available a week later. Looks like service is fully staffed but less customers now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Normal business for mb. I always make a month in advance for warranty work to be sure to get a loaner. But last month they said there is appointment with loaner available a week later. Looks like service is fully staffed but less customers now.
Benz service is top notch, but when I realized an oil change service for a smart car cost more than a 911....went to an independent instead.

Benz had great coffee and biscuits though!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)