• Jun 28th, 2015 5:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 25, 2015
2 posts
Cowessess, SK

Dealership charging for factory parts?

I am about to purchase a used vehicle which has an aftermarket bumper on it. I would prefer the factory bumper back on the vehicle which the dealership has agreed to, however they are charging me $250 to switch it back and then they are going to keep the aftermarket bumper on top of that.

Should they be allowed to do this? At the very least since I am paying for the factory bumper I should be able to keep the after market one that was already installed!?!?

Let me know what you think or if you have had a similar situation.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
Of course they can. You're buying a car with no factory bumper on it. You want the factory bumper so you need to pay for it.

As for them keeping the aftermarket one, that's probably because you're only paying $250 for a bumper, which is dirt cheap. They're making up the difference by selling the aftermarket bumper. If you insist on keeping the aftermarket bumper, the price for the stock bumper will probably go up significantly. $250 is very cheap for a bumper
Jun 21, 2006
853 posts
468 upvotes
what year make and model is the car ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5839 posts
2088 upvotes
Space
You will have to pay for labour if you want certain things done, I think that's fair. You should also receive the aftermarket bumper. The better option would be to ask for the factory bumper and install it yourself.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22189 posts
3014 upvotes
jmh1984 wrote: I am about to purchase a used vehicle which has an aftermarket bumper on it. I would prefer the factory bumper back on the vehicle which the dealership has agreed to, however they are charging me $250 to switch it back and then they are going to keep the aftermarket bumper on top of that.

Should they be allowed to do this? At the very least since I am paying for the factory bumper I should be able to keep the after market one that was already installed!?!?

Let me know what you think or if you have had a similar situation.
You are paying for labour, not the bumper.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6380 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
Why dont u buy it as is and sel the bumper privately on those civic forums i know lotsa guidoz would want to trade
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Why dont u buy it as is and sel the bumper privately on those civic forums i know lotsa guidoz would want to trade
This is the reason why you should never trade-in your old $3,500 car to the stealership for a $500 reduction on your new one but instead sell it on Kjiji.

Same with this bumper... just get it like that and sell it privately for $700.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
jimmyonishi wrote: They don't call them stealerships for nothin'
Stupid comment.
How much do you think the OP should pay to have an aftermarket bumper removed and a OEM bumper installed? If you want something extra, no matter where you buy the car, you have tp pay for it.
Do you even own a car?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6380 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Stupid comment.
How much do you think the OP should pay to have an aftermarket bumper removed and a OEM bumper installed? If you want something extra, no matter where you buy the car, you have tp pay for it.
Do you even own a car?
I love her comment we need more ppl like her on here
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: I love her comment we need more ppl like her on here
Absolutely, they add so much value to the discussion, somewhat like you :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8125 posts
3457 upvotes
Financial District B…
Pete_Coach wrote: Stupid comment.
Do you even own a car?
Pete_Coach wrote: Absolutely, they add so much value to the discussion, somewhat like you :facepalm:
+1 Pete Coach
The ridiculousness of these forums never cease to amaze.
Anyone who has half a brain will know OEM parts will always cost more than aftermarket junk made from some IP thief manufactured in China.

Its funny these kids understand these policies when it comes to fixing their iproducts but negate it when it comes to auto.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3081 posts
1404 upvotes
What's wrong with the aftermarket bumper? Is it not an OEM style one? Or is the fitment not great, or the paint not great?

Just curious.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10487 upvotes
Ottawa
CensoredByRFD wrote: What's wrong with the aftermarket bumper? Is it not an OEM style one? Or is the fitment not great, or the paint not great?

Just curious.
Good point. There are all sots of aftermarket body parts tat people buy to change the appearance of their cars.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)