Automotive

Dealership claims rust proofing by drilling holes voids warranty ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2018 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3790 posts
1105 upvotes
GTA North

Dealership claims rust proofing by drilling holes voids warranty ?

I just bought a vehicle and the dealership wants to sell me the rust proofing for 1900.00 for everything. Underside, outside.

He says if a third party drilled holes in my vehicle it'll void my warranty ?

My concerned is also that a third party place may mess up the Honda sensing thing.

Can anybody chime in ?

Thanks.

EDIT: The main reason I'm thinking about this is because my previous vehicle, 2007 Hyundai Sante Fe started to have bad rust underbody along the frame and all three places I took to do tire changes said it was pretty bad but unusual as they see lots of those types of vehicles .

I wash my car usually 5 times a years, maybe 2 of those times in the winter. That car owes me nothing.

I'm leaning towards corrosion free at Crappy tire or some nearby garage. I think it was $ 129.00 for the top package ?

When I said no to the rust proofing to the paperwork guy , he had this really surprised, astonished look like I had three heads or something. That turned me off right there. I told him I would think about it and maybe come back.
Last edited by tkl on Jun 18th, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
40 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
1900 for rustproofing. That's like 15 yrs of Krown annual service cost. You do have the option at Krown to say no to drilling holes.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2901 posts
1359 upvotes
MARKHAM
There are already holes on the bottom of each door panel purpose for draining water.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38233 posts
24413 upvotes
Center of Universe
Run away NOW!
Never go back to that stealership...ever!
Oct 15, 2008
286 posts
239 upvotes
canada
booblehead wrote: 1900 for rustproofing. That's like 15 yrs of Krown annual service cost. You do have the option at Krown to say no to drilling holes.
Wait...which ones will do this? Krown Lakeshore?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32082 posts
19307 upvotes
Toronto
Krown Richmond Hill will not drill holes if you request. At least this was a few years ago. Cannot say now whether they will insist of drilling holes or not.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38233 posts
24413 upvotes
Center of Universe
Elusivellama wrote: Wait...which ones will do this? Krown Lakeshore?
Most Krowns will not drill holes upon customer's request, but they won't honor their lifetime warranty for those specific areas.
Their warranty is horseshit anyways, as you must have your vehicle treated every year, which only covers perforations and if you are successful in making a claim, they will send your vehicle to their "preferred" body shop.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1846 posts
324 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Most Krowns will not drill holes upon customer's request, but they won't honor their lifetime warranty for those specific areas.
Their warranty is horseshit anyways, as you must have your vehicle treated every year, which only covers perforations and if you are successful in making a claim, they will send your vehicle to their "preferred" body shop.
And every year krown will make car too damn oily. I do every alternate year
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4635 posts
4894 upvotes
GTA
What do you mean too oily? Most of it's gone after a year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3685 upvotes
Ontario
tkl wrote: I just bought a vehicle and the dealership wants to sell me the rust proofing for 1900.00 for everything. Underside, outside.

My concerned is also that a third party place may mess up the Honda sensing thing.

Can anybody chime in ?

Thanks
I would put the 1900 in a secure investment towards your next vehicle. You will never get 1900 more for it when it is old and shabby. Keep an eye on older years of the same model and identify weak areas. Then when car is 5 yrs old, if you still have it, spray something in yourself to delay rust after a dry hot spell in the summer- e.g. into bottom edge of tailgate through drain holes or by removing back panel.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1281 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Most Krowns will not drill holes upon customer's request, but they won't honor their lifetime warranty for those specific areas.

Yes, and the car companies' warranties are horseshit too. They are usually something like a 10 year warranty against perforation. Who the hell has perforation within 10 years anyway? You might get surface rust in 10 years, but almost never will you see a car perforated so quickly.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19741 posts
23159 upvotes
GTA
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I would put the 1900 in a secure investment towards your next vehicle. You will never get 1900 more for it when it is old and shabby. Keep an eye on older years of the same model and identify weak areas. Then when car is 5 yrs old, if you still have it, spray something in yourself to delay rust after a dry hot spell in the summer- e.g. into bottom edge of tailgate through drain holes or by removing back panel.
+1, that dealer rust proofing is $1850 of pure profit for them. My buddy got the dealer rust proofing on his Mazda and it still rusted away. They'd bondo and repaint it for him but it does stop the cancer.
If you want to keep it a long time, your best bet is go to Krown or CorrosionFree every few years for treatment.

OP, save your money and skip the dealer scams. For fun, ask him to put that warranty void statement into writing. I bet he won't do that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12234 posts
3224 upvotes
--
tkl wrote: I just bought a vehicle and the dealership wants to sell me the rust proofing for 1900.00 for everything. Underside, outside.

Can anybody chime in ?

Thanks
If your good at negotiating you can usually get that thrown in, if they say no, walk say you will shop around and they will likely throw it in, if not for free then for a fraction of the price.
Mar 26, 2008
27 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Rust proofing is a scam, just skip it altogether. Modern cars barely rust.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18948 posts
6125 upvotes
London
I hope it's not one of those stupid scam electronic "rust inhibitor" modules. They don't work
Last edited by l69norm on Jun 18th, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9654 posts
9184 upvotes
Spudd wrote: Rust proofing is a scam, just skip it altogether. Modern cars barely rust.
Yup.

And look at this:
https://www.unhaggle.com/rust-proofing-warranty/s/

Check you vehicle ownership habit. If you never keep a car beyond warranty anyway, there is already coverage for rust from manufacturer. And having rust proofing done doesn't really raise the value of resell either. 3rd, a lot rust proofing application now interferes with the smart safety systems in modern cars.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4031 upvotes
Toronto
Spudd wrote: Rust proofing is a scam, just skip it altogether. Modern cars barely rust.
i agree
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38233 posts
24413 upvotes
Center of Universe
???

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3560 posts
1799 upvotes
Mississauga
Xtrema wrote: , a lot rust proofing application now interferes with the smart safety systems in modern cars.
Any verified cases.. or just internet talk.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5910 posts
5084 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Xtrema wrote: Yup.

And look at this:
https://www.unhaggle.com/rust-proofing-warranty/s/

Check you vehicle ownership habit. If you never keep a car beyond warranty anyway, there is already coverage for rust from manufacturer. And having rust proofing done doesn't really raise the value of resell either. 3rd, a lot rust proofing application now interferes with the smart safety systems in modern cars.
And 4th, rustproofing provides zero coverage or protection against rust originating from stone chips or scratches that break through the paint.