Automotive

Dealership says all my brakes are seized on 3 & 1/2 year old Toyota with 34k?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2021 1:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1720 posts
266 upvotes

Dealership says all my brakes are seized on 3 & 1/2 year old Toyota with 34k?

i took my suv in today to get its regular service and oil change.

they took apart the brakes and inspected them. Report in the pic but said all my brakes are seized. Need new pads, rotors and one other small part for the front and recomended rear brakes too or very least a "cleaning" for rear brakes.

i wasnt expecting such a major repair job done so soon but i was gonna take it to a local mechanic for a second look just incase another stealership is trying to screw me over again.

Thought I would post as doing brakes for front and rear will cost excess $1000 . I never noticed any squeeling or symptoms of a seized brake (pulling to one side, feeling of parking brake on, etc) but it could be one of those gradual things that one wouldnt normally notice.

its a toyota suv from 2017 and 34,XXX KM.

i got it since new, it is parked outside year long and i do a good job cleaning it on a routine basis especially in winter to keep salt/snow off as well as oil spray every winter. it is driven almost on a daily basis, at most it would sit for 2 days at most.

i attached pic of work description, as well as shots of the brakes whivh prob doesnt help much without seeing the pads but the rotors are visible.
Images
  • IMG_7350D.JPG
  • IMG_7351D.JPG
  • IMG_7352D.JPG
80 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35637 posts
4474 upvotes
Winnipeg
which part is seized? the brake line or the caliper? sounds like the brake line if all 4 brakes are seized at the same time...
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1720 posts
266 upvotes
divx wrote: which part is seized? the brake line or the caliper? sounds like the brake line if all 4 brakes are seized at the same time...
The lady brought out a brake pad, and said look, wearing down, your brakes are seizing. Said whats Halle isn’t is when you press on brake, it’s making contact with rotor, but not releasing. She didn’t say anything about the brake line
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1060 posts
1331 upvotes
Calgary
If you don’t service your brakes (clean/lube contact points and slider pins) on a yearly basis they could definitely seize especially in our climate.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15857 posts
7421 upvotes
Ottawa
redblack wrote: If you don’t service your brakes (clean/lube contact points and slider pins) on a yearly basis they could definitely seize especially in our climate.
Yup.

I consider once a year a good practice, but once every two years is the minimum
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
redblack wrote: If you don’t service your brakes (clean/lube contact points and slider pins) on a yearly basis they could definitely seize especially in our climate.
If this is the case, garbage lube is being used. In 20 years I have never had seized brakes and only done pad/shoe and rotor changes as required.

This is a dealer money maker on an annual basis.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3642 posts
765 upvotes
Pure nonsense… what she means is she wants you to waste money and agree to their fake nonsense cause they have commissions to make.

Anyways, just lube the pads only if you need to…stop going to dealership out of warranty
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1060 posts
1331 upvotes
Calgary
KevinM56081 wrote: If this is the case, garbage lube is being used. In 20 years I have never had seized brakes and only done pad/shoe and rotor changes as required.

What kind of magical lube are you using?

I use permatex purple ceramic lube on contact points and 3m Silicon paste on the slider pins yearly when I swap over winter/summer tires.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35923 posts
22062 upvotes
Center of Universe
Get a 2nd opinion.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
redblack wrote: What kind of magical lube are you using?

I use permatex purple ceramic lube on contact points and 3m Silicon paste on the slider pins yearly when I swap over winter/summer tires.
Honestly... I'm not sure. It's inherited from my dad's toolbox. He last wrenched full time in the 80's. Label is non existent. Probably causes cancer, depletes the ozone etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1674 posts
1071 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: If this is the case, garbage lube is being used. In 20 years I have never had seized brakes and only done pad/shoe and rotor changes as required.

I realize every vehicle is subject to different variables but I have to admit I’ve never touched the brakes unless they’re being replaced. My wife’s CX-5 is booked for rear brake pads & rotors on Thursday with 90,000KM on them and original from the factory. Perhaps it’s an anomaly but never seized and no issues to speak of otherwise.
Last edited by 100Pacer on Sep 14th, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5845 posts
3487 upvotes
Toronto
Almost $200 for an oil change and air filter?

No wonder why they are "suggesting" you replace a bunch of parts.

If you service your car at the dealer ask them why the brakes are seized?

If you have doubts either check it out yourself or go to another shop.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6441 posts
2111 upvotes
BC
From the pictures, it does look like the front rotors are ready for replacement as a lip at the edge is discernible.

They also look more scored than I would expect at 34K kms. That suggests grit has been accumulating in that area.
(Usually, I thought rear brakes were more susceptible to that in a SUV because your own front wheel spray can contaminate the rear brakes.)

The rear rotors however in the other picture look OK.

Not clear from the invoice whether the 3 and 5mm remaining pad life is L and R or inboard/outboard on each front wheel.
I would suspect the latter as that can be quite common - one pad releasing better than the other.

Although an annual brake service is considered advisable in Ontario an argument could be made that there is a design flaw such as an inadequate leading edge debris deflector.
(Maybe that is the extra small part they are recommending - possibly they got damaged and fell off, or never were installed?)

Bad luck having that significant expense at 34K kms but it doesn't look like the dealership is pulling a fast one.
Could probably get it all done at an independent for a few hundred less.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
I always get my brakes serviced every 2 years to keep things working correctly on my 2012 Camry 4 Cyl. I had to replace the front pads and rotors around 120K and the rear pads around 140K. My vehicle has 195K and I still have the original rear rotor albeit the hat does look pretty rusted. I am pretty light on my brakes which is why it lasts this long for a non-hybrid vehicle.

I believe the pads were $90 and the rotors are about $100 each (OEM TOYOTA PARTS) Servicing the brakes front and back was $140.

After 4 years of driving with 34K, yea I can see the brakes sticking but not sure if everything needs replacing unless you drive aggressively.

Basically, you paid for the maintenance service, replacing the front brake pads, and getting a 4 wheel brake service. $500 for front brake pads seems very expensive as I paid under $400 for front pads AND rotors.
Last edited by hightech on Sep 15th, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
hightech wrote: I always get my brakes serviced every 2 years to keep things working correctly on my 2021 Camry 4 Cyl. I had to replace the front pads and rotors around 120K and the rear pads around 140K. My vehicle has 195K and I still have the original rear rotor albeit the hat does look pretty rusted. I am pretty light on my brakes which is why it lasts this long for a non-hybrid vehicle.

I believe the pads were $90 and the rotors are about $100 each (OEM TOYOTA PARTS) Servicing the brakes front and back was $140.

After 4 years of driving with 34K, yea I can see the brakes sticking but not sure if everything needs replacing unless you drive aggressively.

Basically, you paid for the maintenance service, replacing the front brake pads, and getting a 4 wheel brake service. $500 for front brake pads seems very expensive as I paid under $400 for front pads AND rotors.
195k on a 2021 Flushed Face
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14622 posts
8890 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: its a toyota suv from 2017 and 34,XXX KM.

i got it since new, it is parked outside year long and i do a good job cleaning it on a routine basis especially in winter to keep salt/snow off as well as oil spray every winter. it is driven almost on a daily basis, at most it would sit for 2 days at most.
So you barely drive it, which doesn’t help.

Car is almost 5 model years old not 3.5 depending on when you got it

Without symptoms I’d get a 2nd opinion
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5737 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
Are you that same guy a year ago caught a video of Toyota dealership messing with your car?

Maybe they still remember(hope you didn't go back to the same place) and getting you back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6441 posts
2111 upvotes
BC
hightech wrote: ........
I think you misread the invoice. They may have lubed the slider pins and the backs of the pads, but they didn't put new pads in.

The $530 would be for new front pads and rotors. Still a touch on the high side, but not out of line for a dealership.
Feb 7, 2017
134 posts
126 upvotes
Priced fair for dealership, completely normal to have the rear seize up since you mention this car does a lot of sitting. For the 98$ do the service if you have never done it before. It will save your brakes in the back from seizing up and then having to change the pads and rotors which will cost you more.

The $500 for the front is not out of line for dealership pricing using OEM parts. But you Could save approx 200$ By just buying the OEM parts and bring it elsewhere to have them installed.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2901 posts
1203 upvotes
GTA
Like a lot of other brake threads we have here, nothing is unusual.
Only recommending a rear brake service @ $98 is pretty fair actually.