• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2002 posts
174 upvotes

Dealership Service - Wait/Shuttle/Loaner

I was wondering what others’ experiences with dealerships lately has been when getting service done.

We’ve been going to Downtown Audi for over 10 years and In the beginning you’d get a loaner, no problem for a routine oil change for half a day. Over the years, that service has been reduced to only long term service would be offered a loaner and they offered a shuttle for one day work. In the last two years that eventually turned into they’d call you an uber. And now with the pandemic there’s nothing offered and they discourage you from waiting around and only said they have a valet service at a $50 cost to the customer. As a luxury brand the decrease in services has been disappointing and we’ve been with them for 3 cars now. We have Audi Care so I need to have my car serviced there since it’s already covered.

My friend had his Mercedes serviced at Durham a few weeks ago and got a loaner.

I called Midtown Audi and they will offer Uber.

I am curious what other dealerships are doing for customers getting work done.

I can understand they don’t want the liability of issues with COVID but charging a fee is a bit outrageous when they have no options and it’s not exactly an easy place to walk from.
39 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
When I owned a Mercedes a few years ago, they only offered a loaner if it was going to take more than a few days. They did have shuttles to the office or home and pick you up too.
Same when I owned a BMW.
Honda...shuttles
Subaru...shuttles unless it was in for an unknown amount of time and only if they had one available.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto

I can relate. No more R8 shuttle drop off. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16369 posts
11423 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't been in for service since COVID

Volvo gave me a loaner for service that took longer than a day, shuttle for same day service.

Acura from time to time have given a loaner or at least offer a free shuttle, i usually just wait

Frankly i don't see the need for a loaner for simple oil changes, certainly not during COVID
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
I was in MB service back in early May and they gave me a loaner at no charge. As long my car still has orig. factory warranty, all services done will include a free loaner.

Past experiences with Porsche, also free loaner. BMW is a hit & miss, depends on how close of a relationship you have with dealer; otherwise, the majority of the time no more free loaner for regular maintenance work. If it's warranty related work, then dealer may try to give you a free loaner but you will have to book the appointment many, many weeks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6561 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
I got a loaner each time I booked for warranty service online but a month in advance. Bribe the service advisor few times with lunch when online wasn't available and they hook me up with loaner as well. Haven't paid any to MB even for an oil change but getting a loaner seems easy, except for a sandwich.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2002 posts
174 upvotes
Thanks everyone it’s interesting to see what is being offered pre and current Covid. Mercedes definitely seems to be on top of the customer service amongst the brands. Loaners used to be fun back in the day to get a feel of other cars in the lineup.

Considering we’ve had a history with the same dealership since 2008 (and 3 separate vehicles over that time) it’s a shame they don’t show much loyalty.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6561 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
girlstar wrote: Thanks everyone it’s interesting to see what is being offered pre and current Covid. Mercedes definitely seems to be on top of the customer service amongst the brands. Loaners used to be fun back in the day to get a feel of other cars in the lineup.

Considering we’ve had a history with the same dealership since 2008 (and 3 separate vehicles over that time) it’s a shame they don’t show much loyalty.
I hate all the lineups offered by loaner/enterprise. It's either cla or gla never a e63s or r8
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
MB free loaners are typically A / B / C / CLA. Many times they offered me CLA, only the odd time they offered me an E class (only after the agent asked me what class of car I currently drive). For me, I don't really care what they give me as I just drove to work and back to dealer in matter of a few hours time.

The worst free loaner was from BMW Autohaus (about 10+ yrs ago) as they gave me a (beaten up) Chev. Malibu that I cannot even get the key out of the ignition and the dealer had to send someone over to swap rental car. LOL.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2308 posts
449 upvotes
Торонто
in the past acura downtown would shuttle me. the only time i got a loaner was then i first purchased my car. the dealer didn't have the car ready when they said they would and i had already sold my old car. made them give me a loaner until they had the car ready...took an additional week
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
@op, I would imagine Audi dealer would give/charge you A3 and A4 type of vehicles as daily rental .... maybe the odd Q3 and Q5 if at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2002 posts
174 upvotes
That was the case back around circa 2008-2012 we had gotten A4 and Q3 loaners when we got our routine service. But haven’t had a loaner in many years. This is DT Audi. I’m not sure what Midtown, Queensway or Uptown are doing. But neither of those are convenient for me. Shuttle was fine because I because we could get on with our day.
Jan 8, 2015
426 posts
365 upvotes
Mississauga
Friend was getting cam sensors replaced via warranty for his Ford Focus ST was taking a week. No loaner offered.
The Tech then forgot to bolt something or put on a belt I forget but the engine blew. They comped his rental but gonna be another 2 weeks before they start working on it again. Ford has left a bad taste with him and hes trading it in when he gets it back.
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
Acura usually offered me a loaner if i call in advance, i usually just waited then but they were pretty good on these things (eg loaner if you call for sure, and even shuttle you back home and pick you up if you didn't want to wait then and there -- i actually preferred to wait and get my fill of coffee while working "from home there" and using that as an excuse not to be called and bothered by the office - eg i cant talk LOL)...

Now? I just wait or have Uncle bring me to Markville Mall :) (eg igarage - even if over 65kms travel one way)
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4491 posts
1705 upvotes
GTA
BMW has offered my loaners without question during Covid up to and including two weeks ago. They are also offering clients Uber chits if that is their preference.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
depends on what model Winking Face

R8 and S8 certainly are luxury to me.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
If OP not happy about not getting a loaner from dealership for service, simply bring the car elsehwhere to some European cars garage and get your repairs and service done over there. The money you saved, you can rent a good car for a day or 2.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8178 posts
5091 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: depends on what model Winking Face

R8 and S8 certainly are luxury to me.
Agreed. All I see around here are A4’s.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
That would be “budget” entry luxury Smiling Face With Open Mouth .... because it can come to $50,000+ when configured (before taxes)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)