Automotive

Dealership Won't Appraise Trade-in Unless Buyer Commits To Sale And Pay Deposit First

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 10:00 pm
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto

Dealership Won't Appraise Trade-in Unless Buyer Commits To Sale And Pay Deposit First

Went to Whitby Mazda today to look at a car and have my trade-in appraised. Problem is, they have a policy that the buyer needs to commit to the sale by paying a deposit first before they'll even consider looking at the trade-in vehicle. Purchased 6 cars since I started driving all with trading in the old vehicle, never experienced this kind of policy before.
aknny
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29360 posts
15178 upvotes
Toronto
just move on to another dealer
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
Find another dealership.

There's no reason for you to drop a deposit on an uncertainty. If they have your cash they can then turn around and low ball the trade in estimate. If they truly want your business they'll do the appraisal before taking your money.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11744 posts
4051 upvotes
Toronto
As others mentioned, just go visit another dealership.
I bet they don't want to waste time with people who are not seriously interested and just want to get an quote for a trade in. Some dealership doesn't even take your car as a trade in if your car is over 10 years old.

Again, the way they do business is shitty. I wouldn't even deal with this dealership even they change their mind now.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: just move on to another dealer
greybrick wrote: Find another dealership.

There's no reason for you to drop a deposit on an uncertainty. If they have your cash they can then turn around and low ball the trade in estimate. If they truly want your business they'll do the appraisal before taking your money.
Planning to go to the dealership in Ajax.
aknny
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5337 posts
3803 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If deposit is refundable then it's not a huge deal although this would be a major hassle if they use these situations to low ball you on the trade in which I'm certain is what's going to happen.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
bomber17 wrote: If deposit is refundable then it's not a huge deal although this would be a major hassle if they use these situations to low ball you on the trade in which I'm certain is what's going to happen.
Agree with this.

If it's refundable (get it in writing!) than who cares.

Otherwise, as others mentioned just go elsewhere. Mazda of Toronto seems to be a volume dealer...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33805 posts
7447 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Do some home work first. Look at Auto Trader for your vehicle and see what the retail is. Then expect half for the trade in value
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10182 posts
1974 upvotes
Some don't even look at the car and give you a price on it. As long as they make something top end, don't care too much about the trade in.

Go to another dealer.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12431 posts
9150 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sounds like they're trying to dupe you into a sale. Go elsewhere.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9735 posts
3237 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Walk away
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1825 posts
408 upvotes
Walk.
Don't take this crap from any stealership pulling a stunt like this.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11744 posts
4051 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring wrote: Agree with this.

If it's refundable (get it in writing!) than who cares.

Yes, refundable. But those people will try hard to keep you in the deal, they won't just refund you the money like we do at Wal-Mart. They will say a sales manager needs to authorize it and make you wait, etc etc.

It will be a nightmare experience. I won't give out a deposit that easily unless the deal is very interesting and it is toward the end of the deal.
We are not suppose to put down the money than talk, we talk and put down the money only if the deal is interesting and the guy you deal with reasonable.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
MP3_SKY wrote: Yes, refundable. But those people will try hard to keep you in the deal, they won't just refund you the money like we do at Wal-Mart. They will say a sales manager needs to authorize it and make you wait, etc etc.

It will be a nightmare experience. I won't give out a deposit that easily unless the deal is very interesting and it is toward the end of the deal.
We are not suppose to put down the money than talk, we talk and put down the money only if the deal is interesting and the guy you deal with reasonable.
That's obviously fair, I'm not complying simply because someone asks, it's earned (I could/should have elaborated).

It's kind of a strange practice, I haven't personally encountered..later in the negotiation, sure. That's valid, both parties have put time into a deal, and it's part of business in my mind, and I'm comfortable with that.

Asking for a deposit upfront for a Mazda is a joke, that dealer, manager or franchise ought to give their heads a shake - they aren't selling Toyota's. /s
Aug 30, 2017
248 posts
169 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Walk - that is just another layer of commitment that makes it that harder for you to shop around - and wear you down with a crappier deal. That is just so scummy.
Do the email blast technique, on my last purchase I even got a price on my trade in by submitting pic's. The deal was done and satisfactory to both parties before I ever entered the dealership - I have absolutely no time or patience for these games.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6707 posts
6719 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you're willing to make the trip, Mazda of Toronto has a good reputation here and I've had good experiences with Mazda of Richmond Hill.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1768 posts
1661 upvotes
Toronto
Less likely to be a dealership policy and more likely to be a grumpy sales guy or sales manager that thinks you're just at the dealership for a free appraisal (which happens all the time).

Remember they're going to run a verified Car Proof ($48) and likely spend a bunch of time calling, checking auctions, listings, etc. IF you want to be a nice guy & get your ducks in a row, have the 1st dealer print out your CarProof and bring it with you to the other dealers you visit for appraisal.

Honestly as someone in the business it's tempting to pull this sometimes with certain people, but in the end it doesn't get you anywhere. Better to just do the appraisal and go through the vehicle to get it over with... sometimes the people that seem like they're 100% definitely wasting your time will turn around and buy (or come back and buy).
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!