Dealerships asking me to pay more?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 5:02 pm
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton

Dealerships asking me to pay more?

My car stopped working while it was parked outside when it was -40c outside. Tried to jumpstart it, but to no avail. So I called roadside assistance to get it towed after 2 days off my driveway to the dealership. I was thinking it should be covered by warranty.

Dealership called me and said the problem was totally dead and needs to be replaced, but since its not covered by warranty anymore it will cost me $400+taxes. So I said ok, just to get it over with since I need the car. The next day, they called me that the battery was in St. Albert and they had to pick it up there from Edmonton, which is under an hour to an hour drive max, and told me that its now $500 instead of $400.

Are they trying to rip me off? I dont really want to pay extra 100 since I feel like I already got ripped off on the $400 initial price.

Car is a 2018 chevrolet cruze diesel. Its a lease that ends in Nov. 2022 with about 44k kms.
22 replies
Nov 10, 2019
800 posts
867 upvotes
If it's just a battery replacement, I'd go Costco, buy the battery and just do it myself. And yes, they are ripping you off from the start but which dealership does not? It's the name of their game.

If you don't feel confident working the car, you can still buy the battery from Costco and go to mechanic to have them replace for you way cheaper.

Ofc this would mean you finding a new source of transportation to get it, haul the car away from dealer/replace on the spot. Should be way cheaper than $500
Last edited by kimchibowl on Feb 14th, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2019
800 posts
867 upvotes
Also, you shouldn't let the dealer install their shitty battery that died after 2-3 years of use at that price...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
but op is in no mans land right now. car is at dealer and he/she takes the car back, there is still a bill to be paid regardless. I am afraid you will have to bite the bullet this one time.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
kimchibowl wrote: If it's just a battery replacement, ........

Ofc this would mean you finding a new source of transportation to get it, haul the car away from dealer/replace on the spot. Should be way cheaper than $500
And, he would still have to pay for the work and diagnostics done at the dealer and pay for a tow.
Pretty poor economic advice.
kimchibowl wrote: Also, you shouldn't let the dealer install their shitty battery that died after 2-3 years of use at that price...
A battery can die, regardless of age. Especially in -40 weather, even more susceptible without a battery warmer or block heater. ( I lived in Edmonton for 8 years and know how winter affects cars)
As for letting the dealer install it, the OP took it to the dealer....so bears the cost of the work done there.
As for "their shitty battery", do you know where the dealer gets their battery and who manufactured it?
Point here is you have no idea what he dealer did. Did he do a diagnostic? That costs. did he do a charging system check? That costs. Dealer labour charges are generally higher.
Not defending but just pointing out a nonsensical comment.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
You got ripped hard man, Costco battery is >$150 and probably $50 for someone to install it.

Take it as a lesson.

But I wouldn't pay for the increased price. If there is a price increase you should be informed first before authorizing. I'd argue that you never authorized $500, only $400. And if they are not happy with $100 less, ask them to take the battery out and tow your car to another shop and pay for Costco battery. So you will end up with $130 diagnose + $150 battery + $50 install = $330 and still ahead of $400. However that's only if you don't need to pay towing. If your roadside assistance is only with dealer and won't tow to another shop, just be firm to pay for $400 and live with the lesson.
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
AlicW93740 wrote: You got ripped hard man, Costco battery is >$150 and probably $50 for someone to install it.

Take it as a lesson.

But I wouldn't pay for the increased price. If there is a price increase you should be informed first before authorizing. I'd argue that you never authorized $500, only $400. And if they are not happy with $100 less, ask them to take the battery out and tow your car to another shop and pay for Costco battery. So you will end up with $130 diagnose + $150 battery + $50 install = $330 and still ahead of $400. However that's only if you don't need to pay towing. If your roadside assistance is only with dealer and won't tow to another shop, just be firm to pay for $400 and live with the lesson.
This is American info so, it may be a bit skewed plus, a battery for a diesel is quite different (larger and heavier) than a normal car battery.
"The average cost for a Chevrolet Cruze battery replacement is between $437 and $449. Labor costs are estimated between $44 and $56 while parts are priced at $393.
Similarly, how long does a Chevy Cruze battery last? Generally speaking, the average car battery will be able to last for at least three years or up to seven years. That's a pretty big range, and most batteries will end up lasting somewhere in the middle."

https://askinglot.com/how-much-is-a-bat ... hevy-cruze
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
pirus wrote: My car stopped working while it was parked outside when it was -40c outside. Tried to jumpstart it, but to no avail. So I called roadside assistance to get it towed after 2 days off my driveway to the dealership. I was thinking it should be covered by warranty.

Dealership called me and said the problem was totally dead and needs to be replaced, but since its not covered by warranty anymore it will cost me $400+taxes.
$400-500 to replace an entire car? Hmm seems pretty cheap to me, lol.

If you're talking about the battery only then that's an insane price (and I don't mean in a good way). Who pays $500 ?!?!? to replace a battery on a compact economy vehicle? They must have you mistaken for a Lexus, BMW, etc. owner lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
pirus wrote: My car stopped working while it was parked outside when it was -40c outside. Tried to jumpstart it, but to no avail. So I called roadside assistance to get it towed after 2 days off my driveway to the dealership. I was thinking it should be covered by warranty.

Dealership called me and said the problem was totally dead and needs to be replaced, but since its not covered by warranty anymore it will cost me $400+taxes. So I said ok, just to get it over with since I need the car. The next day, they called me that the battery was in St. Albert and they had to pick it up there from Edmonton, which is under an hour to an hour drive max, and told me that its now $500 instead of $400.

Are they trying to rip me off? I dont really want to pay extra 100 since I feel like I already got ripped off on the $400 initial price.

Car is a 2018 chevrolet cruze diesel. Its a lease that ends in Nov. 2022 with about 44k kms.
I'm not following this.

Since when does a dealer charge $100 to get a part, battery or otherwise? Don't they order the part and have it delivered? Don't they have a little p/u that they use for this purpose?

The GM parts warehouse is in the West end. Why are they getting this in St. Albert? My hunch is that they located the battery at another dealer and since they have you by the short curlies, they are cashing in.

What dealer is this (so that I don't go there?

An hour's drive? Are you in the extreme South side of the city?

Do you have access to another vehicle or a relative, in which case I would tell them that I will pick-up the battery and deliver it to them or better yet, buy a battery from Costco and just let them install it? You'll save on the battery and bring your bill down substantially.

Yes, they are ripping you off. I would ask them also for a written estimate with a breakdown of charges so that you actually know how much you are getting hosed for the battery. GM typically has batteries in a number of classes (good, better, best). Hard to believe that they don't have any for a fairly common vehicle.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote: This is American info so, it may be a bit skewed plus, a battery for a diesel is quite different (larger and heavier) than a normal car battery.
"The average cost for a Chevrolet Cruze battery replacement is between $437 and $449. Labor costs are estimated between $44 and $56 while parts are priced at $393.
Similarly, how long does a Chevy Cruze battery last? Generally speaking, the average car battery will be able to last for at least three years or up to seven years. That's a pretty big range, and most batteries will end up lasting somewhere in the middle."
Costco is showing this battery for $154.99 for the diesel version of OP's car.
Aug 12, 2016
379 posts
272 upvotes
I’d suggest if you wanna continue using this dealership to carry lube in the future.
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
starchoice wrote: I'm not following this.

Since when does a dealer charge $100 to get a part, battery or otherwise? Don't they order the part and have it delivered? Don't they have a little p/u that they use for this purpose?

The GM parts warehouse is in the West end. Why are they getting this in St. Albert? My hunch is that they located the battery at another dealer and since they have you by the short curlies, they are cashing in.

What dealer is this (so that I don't go there?

An hour's drive? Are you in the extreme South side of the city?

Do you have access to another vehicle or a relative, in which case I would tell them that I will pick-up the battery and deliver it to them or better yet, buy a battery from Costco and just let them install it? You'll save on the battery and bring your bill down substantially.

Yes, they are ripping you off. I would ask them also for a written estimate with a breakdown of charges so that you actually know how much you are getting hosed for the battery. GM typically has batteries in a number of classes (good, better, best). Hard to believe that they don't have any for a fairly common vehicle.
I already agreed on the $400 before they fixed it up reluctantly, but since I just want to get it over with. Then they called me saying the car is fixed and ready for pick up but I have to pay an additional 100 because they had to pick up the battery at St. Albert. (which I smell BS)

Im in millwoods and the dealer is just 5 mins away. (lakewood)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
starchoice wrote: Costco is showing this battery for $154.99 for the diesel version of OP's car.
The diesel Cruse requires an H6 or H7 battery. $249.
Dec 7, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
AlicW93740 wrote: You got ripped hard man, Costco battery is >$150 and probably $50 for someone to install it.

Take it as a lesson.

Yeah. I had a feeling that I was getting ripped off since I was expecting not to pay anything and that it is still covered by the 5 year warranty, but it was only 3 year. I just dont want them to hose me even more. (I know its only a 100, but still)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Battery is often considered as normal wear item
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
You got ripped off at $400 what's another $100 now they're laughing all the way to the bank. Reminds me of the break cleaner charge.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote: The diesel Cruse requires an H6 or H7 battery. $249.
No, that’s for the name brand. The price on the Kirkland is $154.99.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
starchoice wrote: No, that’s for the name brand. The price on the Kirkland is $154.99.
The H6 and H7 is a battery type
https://www.optimabatteries.com/experie ... ttery-last

Yes, if you want a low level lead acid, it is cheaper but, the proper battery is a AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) to run glow plugs and accessories..
https://www.costco.ca/.product.100408212.html

The choice is yours but, the cheaper lead acid will most likely also only last 2 years. I suspect the dealership was selling the OP the AGM battery....and battery systems check and diagnostics.

Not trying to argue, just trying to give correct information for the OP.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Feb 14th, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
pirus wrote: Yeah. I had a feeling that I was getting ripped off since I was expecting not to pay anything and that it is still covered by the 5 year warranty, but it was only 3 year. I just dont want them to hose me even more. (I know its only a 100, but still)
The battery should have a pro-rated warranty at the least. Did you ask?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1127 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
It appears that OP is not an expert like some of us on the Auto sub-forums, so there is really no reason to debate whether to go to the dealer or not, especially that I haven't seen a time machine invented.

OP, is there a signed work order (or any other form of evidence) that this work is being done for $400? If it was just a verbal over the phone, then you are in a tougher situation to manage (i.e they can even charging you $4000 if the initial quote is verbal.. let alone $500).

I would still stay firm at $400 regardless, if that was the agree upon price. How they source/handle the part is irrevant from the consumer perspectives. If driving out to get the part is their argument, they could also charge you even more if they dropped it and broker it, and need to drive there again get another one. Not a vailid argument from the dealer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)