Automotive

Locked: Are Dealerships one time "rust proof" under coatings worth the cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 4:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1617 posts
240 upvotes

Are Dealerships one time "rust proof" under coatings worth the cost?

Ive seem a couple threads dated back in 2009-2011 about this topic and in general they are a complete rip off from most users post.

im not sure if things have changed but was wondering if they are worth while today?

the reason i ask is, from toyota, I was offered 1200 for lifetime undercoating rustproofing for under body and bottom of doors.

they claim its one time application and lifetime warranty.

i know there are "cheaper" methods such as krown, however they use oil which is fine, but they have to apply every year. i think im looking at 150 for a large suv from krown.

with the dealership, im thinking well its one time application and they warrant it for the life of the vehicle. overcharge for sure but never have to worry about it again.

does the stuff the dealerships use work better or should i even worry about it at all? i figured modern day vehicles would be corrosion resistent in this day and age straight from the factory
Share:
8 replies
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
108 upvotes
Markham, ON
$1200 is way too much, more like around $500 for undercoat and rust proof panels and get a 10 year warranty with no need for annual inspection

I would get it if it was around $500 and intended to keep the car 10 years. Way better than krown in terms of cost, hassle for annual application/inspection and dealer warranty always easier than krown or those others
Nov 12, 2012
457 posts
455 upvotes
Mississauga
Here comes Another Question form OP.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27775 posts
12841 upvotes
Toronto
why are you giving your hard earned $ away like that ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11674 posts
6234 upvotes
Brampton
Like I said in your other thread. Yes.
Make sure you take the paint protection, Interior protection and glass protection too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1617 posts
240 upvotes
RFDler wrote: Here comes Another Question form OP.
last one i swear,
booblehead wrote: why are you giving your hard earned $ away like that ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
well the ontario road salt likes to eat vehicles and it seems to be a common thing people do. i wasnt sure whether to do it the annual way with Krown or take the plunge on the dealer one that is only applied once
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13273 posts
7398 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: last one i swear,
liar
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15142 posts
16135 upvotes
Oakville
No, it's a rip off. Get Krown or Corrosion Free instead.

I had a friend who bought the $800 rust proofing on his Mazda 3... guess how well that worked... lol